Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hand winching et al……..

Thanks
    Thanked 9,963 Times in 7,394 Posts
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Seems they like probing,, the older you get the more the probing.
    I get what your saying ,,, basically have everything available so when different trips arise
    you can select what style of recovery gear you need for that particular trip.
    Like high country gear being totally different to beach requirements
    04 ST 3lt auto, not enough Mods to keep me happy, but getting there

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 1,525 Times in 887 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Remember it's not just the beach where an exhaust jack is useful.
    When I blew one of my KM2's out climbing a tree on the snow trip earlier this year Daz (MudRunnerTD) whipped his exhaust jack out and the wheel was changed in no time......much faster and safer than a highlift.
    An exhaust jack is now on my must-have kit list.

1997 GQ Patrol RX, TB42E. Mods: OME 2" lift, 33" BFG KM2'S, ARB winch bar & reconditioned X9 Superwinch, IPF 900 spotties HID conversion, ARB side steps and scrub bars, Kaymar rear step & spare wheel carrier & jerry holder, Rear 55W LED worklight, Safari Snorkel, 147L LRA tank, Extended diff breathers, dual batteries, GME UHF, Home built drawer and fridge slide, ARB 60L fridge.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Drewboyaus For This Useful Post:

cgm (11th November 2013)

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by threedogs View Post
    Seems they like probing,, the older you get the more the probing.
    Dead right, seems a yearly exercise. I am sure they do it to get extra money.

I get what your saying ,,, basically have everything available so when different trips arise
    you can select what style of recovery gear you need for that particular trip.
    Like high country gear being totally different to beach requirements
    At least you understand how I look at things.

Thanks
    Thanked 13,507 Times in 6,602 Posts
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    IMO, leave the Tirfir at the Shop. A hi lift jack will do the same thing as the Tirfir but is far far far easier to carry and store.

For my money your exhaust jack is a no Brainer. If you don't have one WHY? It is the first thing that goes in my car and the First thing I use every time. It's light to carry, packs down and cost $100 on eBay.

A Tirfir is heavy and tough work to use.and Big.

At least a hilift can be bolted to your roof rack in the shovel holder probably where it will stay for its life time.

In a winching situation as described above (no disrespect intended) where it was used as an restraint to the rear of the car? Anything else, anything, would have done that task. If there is a tree to tie too, and there must have been something to attach the Tirfir to, a drag chain, a tree truck protector, a snatch strap, a winch extension, a heavy rope, Anything could have been that anchor. Everything other than the drag chain weighs less than 2kgs and the drag chain is less than 10kgs. The Tirfir is up over 20kgs or way more.

If your travelling Solo then an exhaust Jack for most things and the Hilift as the backup plan. IMO
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to MudRunnerTD For This Useful Post:

cgm (11th November 2013)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Think you've convinced me on the exhaust jack. I was never quite sure if they were really up to the task. I've carried the hi-lift around for years and basically never used it. Haven't bothered with it lately. Don't have anywhere safe to use it at the back and they can be really dangerous if you don't give them lots of respect and attention when using them.

Will check out what options I have here for the exhaust jack.
    Thanks, Cameron
    No Patrol now - Just good memories!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12