Thread: Car Fridges , help with some stupid questions please

Thanks
    Thanked 1,525 Times in 887 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nisshead View Post
    I thought the ARB fridges are a re-badged Waeco. They use the danfoss compressor unlike the Engle's Sawafuji....something I heard not long ago
    Nope. Totally different. They may use a Danfoss compressor but it is a different spec and until recently was heaps more efficient than the equivalent size Waeco.
    The design of the fridge is also completely different from Waeco, much more robust.
    It is one of the myths of 4WDing that the ARB fridges and Waeco's are the same. A little bit like saying because Samsung make nearly all the worlds LCD/LED screens that a Hisense TV is the same as a Panasonic.

1997 GQ Patrol RX, TB42E. Mods: OME 2" lift, 33" BFG KM2'S, ARB winch bar & reconditioned X9 Superwinch, IPF 900 spotties HID conversion, ARB side steps and scrub bars, Kaymar rear step & spare wheel carrier & jerry holder, Rear 55W LED worklight, Safari Snorkel, 147L LRA tank, Extended diff breathers, dual batteries, GME UHF, Home built drawer and fridge slide, ARB 60L fridge.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Waeco and ARB fridges are both built in the same factory in China.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve4wdin View Post
    Waeco and ARB fridges are both built in the same factory in China.
    May I ask how you know that?

1997 GQ Patrol RX, TB42E. Mods: OME 2" lift, 33" BFG KM2'S, ARB winch bar & reconditioned X9 Superwinch, IPF 900 spotties HID conversion, ARB side steps and scrub bars, Kaymar rear step & spare wheel carrier & jerry holder, Rear 55W LED worklight, Safari Snorkel, 147L LRA tank, Extended diff breathers, dual batteries, GME UHF, Home built drawer and fridge slide, ARB 60L fridge.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ......And it still doesn't make them the same fridge if they were.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A friend of mine works for Waeco in QLD. The ARB one's are there own speck but under Waeco factory quality control.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Steve4wdin For This Useful Post:

Drewboyaus (9th November 2013)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,891 Times in 3,651 Posts
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Drewboyaus View Post
    Nope. Totally different. They may use a Danfoss compressor but it is a different spec and until recently was heaps more efficient than the equivalent size Waeco.
    The design of the fridge is also completely different from Waeco, much more robust.
    It is one of the myths of 4WDing that the ARB fridges and Waeco's are the same. A little bit like saying because Samsung make nearly all the worlds LCD/LED screens that a Hisense TV is the same as a Panasonic.
    Yeah, fair enough. I just had a look at some pics and they look totally different to be a re-badged jobby..lol The specs on the new Waeco look pretty good but

I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit

WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nisshead View Post
    Yeah, fair enough. I just had a look at some pics and they look totally different to be a re-badged jobby..lol The specs on the new Waeco look pretty good but
    Yeah, the new Waeco's are much better than the previous models. This is where I suspect ARB has assisted Waeco if they are being made in the same place......
    Many manufacturers will use the same OEM in China and if that is true, it makes sense for ARB and Waeco to share the QC resource. They will both have different QC specs though.

I will check with my contact at ARB. He will know.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Drewboyaus For This Useful Post:

Maxhead (9th November 2013)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,214 Times in 516 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If I was buying a fridge now I would find out who has the best back up service get a list of each brand you are looking st and see where there recommended repair agent is , not s dealer but the bloke thst actually fixes it , no point been in darwin if the fridge has to be sent to brisbane to be fixed ,
    If ya not using it buy a prius .....

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gaddy For This Useful Post:

04OFF (9th November 2013), FNQGU (1st December 2013)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gaddy View Post
    If I was buying a fridge now I would find out who has the best back up service get a list of each brand you are looking st and see where there recommended repair agent is , not s dealer but the bloke thst actually fixes it , no point been in darwin if the fridge has to be sent to brisbane to be fixed ,
    I agree. I personally would only buy Waeco, ARB or Engle.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,656 Times in 3,122 Posts
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok, a few unanswered questions.
    Size. A fridge outside dimensions will be a bigger area than an esky due to sometimes a thicker wall in the fridge, but you have to allow the compressor setup..

Ventilation.
    The old's use to have a 35ltr weaco which was wedged between the rear seat and doors in the Q. We use to put stuff all around it, but made sure what was near the vents wasn't like a pillow or something which could smother the vent. Fridge was fine.
    As fir temp cut off?? Not sure, never looked. I'm sure they would have something..

Efficiency..
    Again, variable. How bugs the battery??
    Putting cold stuff in it will make it more efficient, and also minimize opening it.
    But simply, yes. As a family the old Q only ever only had one battery and the fridge use to travel in the back.
    Setup the voltage cut off to high (so it cuts out at a higher voltage) and we never had an issue.
    Again, assuming Its fridge and fridge alone On the battery..

Covers. Not really needed but the do increase the efficiency. Have been told by 2-5%?? Can't prove those figures though..

But as the others have stated, either of the 2 you have picked Will serve you well..
    Cheers
    Kallen Westbrook

15. The Following User Says Thank You to BigRAWesty For This Useful Post:

04OFF (9th November 2013)

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast