Threaded View

Thanks
    Thanked 2,062 Times in 938 Posts
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question Car Fridges , help with some stupid questions please

So ....i need a new esky, the one i like is about $300, but now im half thinking i should put that money toward a 12V fridge ?

There is a billion threads on what fridge is best, but there never seems to be actually much of a conclusion, so id thought id ask some specific questions about what ive seen so far.

To give you a idea where im at, so far ive looked at a 40L Engel (the gold version with auto temp and battery cantrol), and also the Waeco 40 - 50 L in the CFX range.

Firstly , the conventional esky im used to, is a 47L capacity, im assuming that i only need a 40L fridge to fit just as much stuff , as i dont need to allow room for the 2 bags of ice ?, i am very limited to vehicle internal luggage space, so a bigger (external size ) fridge is not better for me.

So....

Do you need/use a drain plug in the fridge ?, if you don't have a drain ,and say spill milk inside, can you just tip the fridges upside down and hose them out , or are they like a nornal fridge that need to stay upright ?

How important is a external bag ?

Are they really as good on power consumption as the sales dudes say, e.g. if i have a single car battery, i can run the fridge all night and still start the car in the morning ?

I assume i can pile stuff/camping gear all around the fridge as long as the fan vents are clear, and what sort of clearance or gap do you need to give the fridge fan vents ? , what happens If im off roading and stuff falls and blocks the vents , do they have a thermal cut out, or do i wait for the flames ?

Fridge slides are just a convinience thing so you dont have to reach into the car , or are there other benifits to having a slide system ?

Most people with car fridges seem to drink "cans" of beer, is this because they are more space efficient and are easy to chill, or do bottles tend to rattle/break or chip the inside of the fridge (or am i just reading too much into this)

Thanks in advance
    Last edited by 04OFF; 9th November 2013 at 11:38 AM.
    <a href=http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j320/02ard/PatrolcomAvatar-1-1.jpg target=_blank>http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j3...Avatar-1-1.jpg</a>