Thread: On Board Compressor

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by makeitfit View Post
    Brilliant explanation thanks a lot I'm all enthused now and will fit mine this weekend . KIS indeed cheers
    If you like that explanation, I have a circuit and explanation to give a warning if you left your lights on

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forum...Lights-Warning

2. The Following User Says Thank You to angelo_f For This Useful Post:

makeitfit (11th November 2013)

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by threedogs View Post
    Are you running a tank??
    I am not convinced a tank would be worth the effort. The tank behaves like the cistern in the toilet. In the toilet, a low flow rate of water goes into the cistern and when you press the button, you get a big flow rate for a short period of time. This works great when you only need a small total volume of water. In the case of the tyres, this would be likened to using a cistern interface when filling a swimming pool. For the short duration that it supplies water, it is really negligible.

In the same way with the tank, if you need a short duration of a high flow rate, a tank is definitely beneficial. However, with the tyres, you have to consider the maximum pressure you are really going to get will be the maximum of what the pressure switch is - in this case, 120psi. My compressor says in specs that it has > 200psi and a flow rate of 71 l/min. There may be a slight improvement in filling all the tyres in that the compressor is still working while moving between tyres, but I don't think it would be much. It may be worth while doing an experiment to see by putting a tank in line and comparing results in filling all four tyres

5. The Following User Says Thank You to angelo_f For This Useful Post:

Winnie (11th November 2013)

Thanks
    Thanked 13,452 Times in 6,588 Posts
    Mentioned
    324 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by angelo_f View Post
    I am not convinced a tank would be worth the effort. The tank behaves like the cistern in the toilet. In the toilet, a low flow rate of water goes into the cistern and when you press the button, you get a big flow rate for a short period of time. This works great when you only need a small total volume of water. In the case of the tyres, this would be likened to using a cistern interface when filling a swimming pool. For the short duration that it supplies water, it is really negligible.

In the same way with the tank, if you need a short duration of a high flow rate, a tank is definitely beneficial. However, with the tyres, you have to consider the maximum pressure you are really going to get will be the maximum of what the pressure switch is - in this case, 120psi. My compressor says in specs that it has > 200psi and a flow rate of 71 l/min. There may be a slight improvement in filling all the tyres in that the compressor is still working while moving between tyres, but I don't think it would be much. It may be worth while doing an experiment to see by putting a tank in line and comparing results in filling all four tyres

If all you are doing with the compressor is airing up then there is no need for a tank. If you want to fit air lockers down the track though the tank will be a winner for that. A Tank will also provide you a small burst of air in the event you are trying to reseat a tyre that you have stripped off in a rut (common) or want to run a rattle gun or other air tool or air gun.

In relation to the "claimed" output of the compressor and the airup time you quote, have you put a stop watch on that? What size tyres?

I have a pair of tanks under my rear seat that I have on an isolation gate valve and if needed can use for seating a bead. When airing up all I'd does is add volume to the airup and therefore time to pump.
    Last edited by MudRunnerTD; 11th November 2013 at 08:29 PM.
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to MudRunnerTD For This Useful Post:

angelo_f (12th November 2013)

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes - You have a good point about reseating a tyre. All I am doing is pumping tyre.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by angelo_f View Post
    Yes - You have a good point about reseating a tyre. All I am doing is pumping tyre.
    A quick squirt of WD40 or Easy Start, followed by a flame = a very quick andsimple tyre pop back on the rim
    Y60 Patrol 4.2 d SWB in puke green
    2" body lift, 2" pedders suspension lift, 35" Simex muds on excel 16" alloys, needs a turbo :/

Thanks
    Thanked 5,350 Times in 3,168 Posts
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by makeitfit View Post
    A quick squirt of WD40 or Easy Start, followed by a flame = a very quick andsimple tyre pop back on the rim
    Not 'dissing you', mate, but doing that on a fire ban day, could land us a huge fine in this fine country, or worse, start a fire. Would be okay any other time though.
    My advice is: not to follow my advice.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123