Thread: Another 2" Lift Thread

Thanks
    Thanked 1,525 Times in 887 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by coiled View Post
    Drewboy, Don't take this the wrong way but do you have a problem?
    No mate. I do not.

I stand by my previous posts.
    If you are looking for validation of your choice you may not find what you are looking for.
    There are many, many different spring/shock combinations. Especially if you are talking about springs only. With the different variations of springs to suit your vehicle, there are also many combinations of shocks that could be used with your choice of springs. All these different combinations will give different ride and handling characteristics. All of which are mainly subjective. There is no guarantee that anyone reading this will be running the same combination you are considering as what you are considering is not a "catalogue" purchase, as you put it. It is in fact a custom spring/shock combination. A catalogue purchase is to buy a kit of matched springs and shocks from OME, Ironman, Toughdog, Lovell's etc.....
    If you are looking for installation info, this has been covered in a number of different threads.
    Last edited by Drewboyaus; 5th November 2013 at 05:14 PM.

1997 GQ Patrol RX, TB42E. Mods: OME 2" lift, 33" BFG KM2'S, ARB winch bar & reconditioned X9 Superwinch, IPF 900 spotties HID conversion, ARB side steps and scrub bars, Kaymar rear step & spare wheel carrier & jerry holder, Rear 55W LED worklight, Safari Snorkel, 147L LRA tank, Extended diff breathers, dual batteries, GME UHF, Home built drawer and fridge slide, ARB 60L fridge.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 13,507 Times in 6,602 Posts
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    You should be very careful setting your car up for Towing only and running it empty the rest of teh time. You will hate it Most of the time! when Towing it will be great but the rest of teh time it will be horrible and harsh. Drew adn Lucas are on the right path mate.

Your problem is you hope that the Part Number might mean something to someone?? I have a matched set of Old Man Emu Springs and Shocks, I have No Idea the part numbers though?? Short of grabbing the receipt of purchase and searching i have no idea.

The GQ is the same. I put it over the weigh bridge then spoke to Superiors and they decided out of their product catalogue what best suits my needs. If they got it wrong then i hand them back mate.

For the money that you are considering then you really should be looking at spending the extra and going a matched set of Old Man Emu Springs and Shocks. The list price is $1159 inc GST.

I agree 100% with Drew's statement about the Quality of the OME springs and regardless if they are also made by Kings you should not assume them to be the same.

Given that you want a nice car unloaded that will flex well then you have little chance of also having a car that will tow well. If you have a car that carries some load all the time and travels well and flexes well it will be nice and will likely tow well too. My GUIV is a 3" lift OME and i have drawers int eh back, (Empty most of the time but i love it) It travels well loaded and unloaded with a Longrange tank and rear bar. Now that i have added the rear bar i am thinking of fixing the Polyair bags in the back for the towing duties.

I would be investigating the Polyairs if i was you.

I note also your original post suggested that you have read a heap on here about a 2" lift, if you have then you Must have seen the Countless threads on the tips and tricks for fitting a 2" lift in the driveway in a couple of hours. use the Search function and have a bit of a look, if your still stuck yell out and i will use the search function and find them for you no probs. Heaps mate.
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MudRunnerTD For This Useful Post:

Clunk (5th November 2013), Drewboyaus (5th November 2013)

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry about the hijacking
    Just picked up the troll from arb after getting a 2" lift and all i gained was 10mm in the front is that normal ?

Thanks
    Thanked 6,883 Times in 3,670 Posts
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 4wdreaming View Post
    Just picked up the troll from arb after getting a 2" lift and all i gained was 10mm in the front is that normal ?
    Hmmm....
    2" should be closer to 2" than 1/2"...

Where did you measure before and after?
    What is the difference in the rear?
    What sort of weight do you have hanging off it (bar, winch etc etc) and was the suspension matched to the accessory weight?
    Hello from Under Down Under!

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I measured from the diff axle to the chassy before and after
    right next to the springs

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just pulled out the paper work
    Yep even that says only 10mm
    Will post pick

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Coiled,
    Hearing you mate. Can't tell you much about the spring and shock set up as a set but I just put in a Dobinson set of coils and shocks a few weeks ago and pretty happy. I got some great advice off of hear from one of the blokes on how to do it and it made it so much easier. The only thing I would do if I was doing it again would be I would go and buy a 17mm & 19mm ratchet spanners, not sockets. Mine is a 2004 and not sure how the access is to a few of the nuts but it would have made it so much easier. And I knew one spring was bigger but I still put it on the wrong side and then had to go back and change. Good luck.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,883 Times in 3,670 Posts
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Just pulled out the paper work
    Yep even that says only 10mm
    Will post pick
    So you agreed on a 2" lift but the paperwork says 10mm?
    Hello from Under Down Under!

Thanks
    Thanked 13,507 Times in 6,602 Posts
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    No, ask them for an explanation.
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

here is a pic of their measurements

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast