Thanks
    Thanked 7,424 Times in 3,003 Posts
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by threedogs View Post
    now want your opinion when they are bed in,
    It may be more noticeable with your Patrol being Heavier.
    It has to be better than before though
    Just back from 60kms bedding in the new pads & rotors.
    Good news & bad news.
    The good is that, like you, initial impression is of a huge improvement in braking, both in stopping power & feel. (The latter a pleasant surprise).
    The bad is they squeal. Grrr. I did the initial bedding in as per the instructions over about 30kms & no squeal. At about 35kms I braked a little harder (but still reasonably light) slowing from 80kph to 60kph & had the first squeal. Now they squeal every time I brake. I’m hoping that the squeal might disappear with a couple of hundred more bedding in kilometres, if not I suppose I’ll have to pull the pads out to see if I can do anything.

Cuppa

2006 4.2TDi ex-Telstra Remote area Camper. 425w roof mounted solar, 360Ah Aux batts, BCDC1240, Onboard hot & cold pressurised & filtered water, (25 litre hot water calorifier), ARB fridge, ARB freezer, Built in kitchen, heaps of easy access storage, 240v, 3” Genie exhaust + dynotune, 2” lift, 3900kg GVM upgrade, second glovebox, ROH Blaktrak steel wheels, Bridgestone D697's (now Toyo RT's), Redarc gauges/pillarpod, Hema HX-1, Icom 450 CB, dual rear view cameras, Onboard 30amp Victron mains charger, second glovebox, dual seat conversion, TPMS, Boss PX7 onboard air with 9 litre tank, 350w inverter, Steel bullbar, Harrop Eaton diff lock (front), Warn winch, Snorkel, Dual spares , 160 litre water tank, 180 litre fuel in two tanks (approx 1200km range) 2010 Tvan Tanami. (incl another 70 litre water tank) with matching wheels/tyres (& 3rd spare)
    A Nomadic Life (Blog)

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 9,963 Times in 7,394 Posts
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    I always thought the squeal is caused by vibration , thus the graphite paste on and pins and back of pads
    Maybe a few panic stops will cure it. At least you don't need to pull the whole lot apart again,
    would the old backing plate fit in behind the new pads??

Lips are seal about direction ,lol
    Last edited by threedogs; 5th November 2013 at 06:58 PM.
    04 ST 3lt auto, not enough Mods to keep me happy, but getting there

Thanks
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I didn’t use any goo/paste on the back of the pads, it didn’t seem like the right thing to do with he stick on rubberised shims, but I may try it if the squealing persists. Plenty online to suggest that squealing can disappear once the pads/discs are fully bedded in.
    I did fit the old metal shim cover over the rubber shim. Not sure if this was right or not. The installation instructions with the pads really were very poor.

2006 4.2TDi ex-Telstra Remote area Camper. 425w roof mounted solar, 360Ah Aux batts, BCDC1240, Onboard hot & cold pressurised & filtered water, (25 litre hot water calorifier), ARB fridge, ARB freezer, Built in kitchen, heaps of easy access storage, 240v, 3” Genie exhaust + dynotune, 2” lift, 3900kg GVM upgrade, second glovebox, ROH Blaktrak steel wheels, Bridgestone D697's (now Toyo RT's), Redarc gauges/pillarpod, Hema HX-1, Icom 450 CB, dual rear view cameras, Onboard 30amp Victron mains charger, second glovebox, dual seat conversion, TPMS, Boss PX7 onboard air with 9 litre tank, 350w inverter, Steel bullbar, Harrop Eaton diff lock (front), Warn winch, Snorkel, Dual spares , 160 litre water tank, 180 litre fuel in two tanks (approx 1200km range) 2010 Tvan Tanami. (incl another 70 litre water tank) with matching wheels/tyres (& 3rd spare)
    A Nomadic Life (Blog)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Dumb question but did you thoroughly clean and dry the Rotors with Prepsol or similar ?
    Last edited by threedogs; 6th November 2013 at 01:22 PM.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dumb question but did you thoroughly clean and dry the Rotors with Prepsol or similar ?
    I followed the instructions & cleaned them with warm soapy water. I then gave them a good wipe over with methylated spirits just to be sure.

Cuppa

A Nomadic Life (Blog)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Seems strange that they squeal, will admit mine did but not enough to warrant a comment.
    Only 3-4 times if that. I'd do a few panic stops somewhere safe of course, as long as you
    don't get them super hot in these early stages I cant see a problem

EDIT Green are just H/D towing style pads Yes, not racing pads like a Kevlar job

As for getting direction right I fitted the rear first when some one commented they were on the wrong way,
    I said LOL they are just so I can see which way they need to be, yes direction was wrong but picked up
    and corrected before assembling
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by threedogs; 6th November 2013 at 03:56 PM.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Seems strange that they squeal, will admit mine did but not enough to warrant a comment.
    Only 3-4 times if that. I'd do a few panic stops somewhere safe of course, as long as you
    don't get them super hot in these early stages I cant see a problem

EDIT Green are just H/D towing style pads Yes, not racing pads like a Kevlar job

From a web site.

EBC green stuff pads are the only pads made with KEVLAR (r) fibers. The EBC green stuff brake compound uses no carbon, so there is minimal dust. The friction coefficent of the EBC compound is 30-40% higher than common pads, yet rotor wear is minimal. Suitable for use on the street or light track use -- stable braking characteristics up to 550 degrees C.

They come with a 'braking in' coating on their face.

A Nomadic Life (Blog)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,326 Times in 805 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Or maybe you didn't get them hot enough and they put a coating on the pad.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    That's what I'm thinking and why you may need some aggressive stops in a safe spot ,
    but not aggressive enough to get rotors glowing, BTW do they smell??

11. The Following User Says Thank You to threedogs For This Useful Post:

93patrol (6th November 2013)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,665 Times in 3,125 Posts
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As above. Get up to 60 k and stand On em.. Get the abs working. Make sure you have no breakables onboard..

Do it 3-4 times. I've found that they do squeal if you use em lightly a lot to. Again, if this happens brake harder for a bit.
    Cheers
    Kallen Westbrook

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast