User Tag List

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: How to 4WD in Sand

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i never put it in 4wd untill i stop then i select 4h gears when that runs out then i try 4L gears thenwhenthat runs out then bout 25psi and back up to 4H gears then 20psi and so on and so till about 7 to 8 psi but no lower cause then u will roll off the rims seems to work for me but each to there own methods

1989 GQ LPG / PET TB42 LWB WAGON 4'LIFT 33's
    WELCOME TO THE MUD PITT WE DRIVE NISSAN PATROLS
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 12,951 Times in 6,827 Posts
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by timbar View Post
    i never put it in 4wd untill i stop then i select 4h gears when that runs out then i try 4L gears thenwhenthat runs out then bout 25psi and back up to 4H gears then 20psi and so on and so till about 7 to 8 psi but no lower cause then u will roll off the rims seems to work for me but each to there own methods
    Ive never been game enough to lower my pressures that much i ren 16-18 psi is the lowest ive been down and that was in my ol cherokee very light vehicle, but will give it a crack on troll next time

IF YA DONT GET STUCK YA AINT TRYIN HARD ENOUGH........OR YA TOOK THE CHICKEN TRACK

WARNING: TOWBALLS USED WITH SNATCHSTRAPS DO KILL!!

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by growlers71gq View Post
    Ive never been game enough to lower my pressures that much i ren 16-18 psi is the lowest ive been down and that was in my ol cherokee very light vehicle, but will give it a crack on troll next time
    I had mine down to 10psi the other week to get out of Yeagarup dunes. There's not a lot of headway to move once you are that low....
    Jon

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Couple of weekends ago I was doing fine on 18 psi till I drove down into a bowled out dune section up near Jurien Bay. I was the same as growlers71gq until we were really stuck. I let the pressure down until the cheapy type pressure gauge (stick push out ones) couldn't read anything and I guessed below 10 psi. Took a little digging but once we got going forward it was up and out. Like driving on the highway .

Can here Dad shouting at me "let your tyres down, no down more..."
    Now I have a rapid tyre deflator and a better gauge.

Learning the hard way can getting your heart racing.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by growlers71gq View Post
    just be carefull not to roll the tyre off the rims sharp cornering will roll the tyre off

1989 GQ LPG / PET TB42 LWB WAGON 4'LIFT 33's
    WELCOME TO THE MUD PITT WE DRIVE NISSAN PATROLS
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    just be carefull not to roll the tyre off the rims sharp cornering will roll the tyre off
    That's why you should leave the front tyres higher than the back. The front wheels steer and can be very badly affected by a popped bead - worst case can be a roll over if a popped front tyre digs in.
    I generally deflate to 14 PSI in the front and 12 PSI in the rear. Only ever had one rear pop - and that's when I hit something pretty hard coming sideways down the dune. It had so little effect on the car's stability that I side sloped another dune before I noticed it felt a bit strange.
    Steve
    2011 Patrol Safari 4.8 (Fitek)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,062 Times in 938 Posts
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i never put it in 4wd untill i stop then i select 4h gears when that runs out then i try 4L gears
    Not aimed at you timbar, but just to let everyone know, that this method is actually bad practice when you travel on any in-land sand tracks, in 2wd you will degrade sand tracks much faster than when in 4wd (even though you don't have any problem moving in 2wd) this is why most QLD sand islands don't allow 2wd vehicles (such as VW Baja/Manx buggies) on the sand any more.

The sand tracks can soon get very corrugated, and become uncomfortable to travel, then more cars bumping over the lumps degrade the track further, then it needs maintainence, which costs money, and so ultimately leads to some tracks getting closed to vehicles.................i don't like walking !

You should also stay in 4wd, so you have maximum control and the best chance of steering in soft sand.
    <a href=http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j320/02ard/PatrolcomAvatar-1-1.jpg target=_blank>http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j3...Avatar-1-1.jpg</a>

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    does any one know how low u can run tyres with tubes in?

Thanks
    Thanked 13,496 Times in 6,599 Posts
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by benzo View Post
    does any one know how low u can run tyres with tubes in?
    I have run 12psi without a tube.

You could go down to 10 i reckon or even lower to get out of trouble but you certainly would not drive a long distance at that pressure though, more for a recovery. Re-inflate to 15psi once the car is recovered.

Tubes are NOT Bead locks, Tubes have the ability of slipping in the rim with a tyre and ripping off the valve, if that happens your knackered!

Without tubes the valve and the tyre are independent of each other.

At the end of the day mate, let as much air out of the tyre to get you out of where you are stuck and then re-inflate. Somewhere between 14psi and 18psi should be a standard when doing a long run on the beach, the softer the sand you will encounter the closer you should start to 14psi.
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yep, 42 Mile beach has taught me to get out and start digging, you do that and you'll rarely need a tow!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast