Thanks
    Thanked 20,715 Times in 8,559 Posts
    Mentioned
    579 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Announcing You4wd.com - 4x4 video track database around the world

Hi everyone,

Well here it is, after 12 months of part time and painful work, I have finally finished the website!!!

The link is below but please have a quick read of what It's all about and why I developed it.

Whenever I go to a new area to 4wd I always jump on Youtube to check out the tracks, etc but found it hard to find related videos of the area.

Example: If you type WoodsPoint 4wd, etc into Youtube you get a lot of results but tracks aren't named on the videos and most of the videos of the area you never find due to the lack of keywords used. There are literally millions of videos on Youtube named incorrectly such as "Joe Blow big hill climb" or "Andy deep bog hole", etc.

I have developed a website which has pulled in thousands of Youtube videos onto a map of the world exactly where the video was taken, (place marked on Google Maps).

So now if you are going to a new area or simply want to check out some videos in a particular area just zoom into the area on the map and all the videos will pop up where the video was taken on the day.

If you log in to the website using your Google account / Youtube account you can even chat and leave comments on each video similar to how Youtube works. You can also follow other users so if you see a video that you like you can click on the user to check out their other videos, follow them and get updates if they upload any more, etc.

There is also an option to upload your own videos to the map by either putting the place mark of where the video was taken on a map or even manually entering the Longitude and Latitude coordinates.

The hardest part to this but the best part is that I have developed applications to use on android or iOS devices. The applications are purely a record and upload feature of your videos so if you are taking a video of a 4wd track or someone 4wding then use the app. The app automatically records your GPS location whilst you are recording.

Once you finish recording simply upload the video to the map or save it to upload later on when you get back to wifi. This is a very user friendly way to record videos and the application will know exactly where that video was taken to upload to the map and automatically put the place mark of the video in the spot it was taken from. Saves a bucket load of time trying to remember where each video was taken or recording the coordinates yourself!

NOTE: When you are signed in with your Google/Youtube account you are actually uploading the videos to your own Youtube account. The app talks with Youtube, uploads it to your own Youtube account as normal but we intercept it, grab the GPS location and the video link from Youtube once it has uploaded to show on the website.

So as above, please consider using the app's next time you record any 4wd videos as it will build the database but you will still have the videos on your Youtube account as normal.

A mammoth amount of time has gone into this to the point I gave up many times. No one has really done anything like this and I hope it kicks off purely as a fun media outlet of what we love. Not just a database of mid to extreme off road but it could also be used for people to check out track conditions for tourers and all sorts. Obviously tracks and conditions change but if we can spread the word and keep the videos fresh it could end up being a handy feature for all different types of offroaders.

I want to build an enormous database of georeference 4x4 videos so if anyone, anywhere in the world is looking for 4x4 videos or searching any part of the world for new tracks or checking out their local areas they jump on the website.

But...I need your help please ladies and gents!

I'm hoping that due to the fact there is no competition out there and knowing that a lot of you are members on different forums and from different parts of the world that you can help me spread the word.

I would greatly appreciate if you can just post this above or just mention this site on any other forum, Facebook, Twitter, the neighbour Bob, whatever to please get the word out there and get this website known.

Especially our overseas members as I am going to struggle trying to get it noticed in certain parts of the world in particular non predominantly English speaking countries.

Anyways....Appreciate any feedback folks, the apps were a nightmare and no doubt will find some bugs from time to time but I hope you like it!!!

Feel free to download the apps, use the site, record some videos and upload them, chat on the videos if you like, go nuts!!!

The website is you4wd.com

2. The Following 36 Users Say Thank You to AB For This Useful Post:

93patrol (3rd November 2013), Alitis007 (4th November 2013), Avo (3rd November 2013), belzi82 (6th December 2013), Bloggsy (4th November 2013), Bloodyaussie (3rd November 2013), Clunk (3rd November 2013), Coldcomfort (3rd November 2013), Daveyboyjunior (19th January 2016), Davo65 (22nd July 2014), Drewboyaus (4th November 2013), FrankW (6th December 2013), GUtsy ute (3rd November 2013), Ironman 4x4 (4th February 2014), janderson (6th November 2013), jay see (22nd July 2014), kevin07 (3rd November 2013), Kwarte (5th November 2013), Limmy (5th November 2013), Mc4by (11th May 2017), MudRunnerTD (3rd November 2013), my third 256 (5th November 2013), NewDan (8th April 2014), NissanGQ4.2 (3rd November 2013), nissannewby (4th November 2013), oncedisturbed (6th December 2013), ova50 (19th November 2013), Phat Patroller (28th October 2015), rkinsey (4th November 2013), rusty00 (2nd August 2015), rusty_nail (4th November 2013), SonOf (4th November 2013), Stropp (3rd November 2013), Warwick89 (3rd November 2013), Winnie (3rd November 2013), Woof (3rd November 2013)

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Patrol Freak
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,653 Times in 591 Posts
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great concept AB, happy to spread the word on that, and use it of course.
    Between Patrols ATM. Had a beaut GU with 6.5 Chev TD. Next is a GU ute with a 4.5 litre Cummins conversion and a camper on the back.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to FNQGU For This Useful Post:

AB (3rd November 2013)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,210 Times in 1,286 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We'll done mate, appreciate the effort.
    1999 GU 4500 dual fuel

Il dado è tratto

7. The Following User Says Thank You to NP99 For This Useful Post:

AB (3rd November 2013)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,880 Times in 3,231 Posts
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quick ban this guy, he is promoting some other 4wd website!!!! *L*

Good to hear its now official
    Time is never wasted when your wasted all the time

WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to NissanGQ4.2 For This Useful Post:

AB (3rd November 2013)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,611 Times in 3,108 Posts
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bloody hell mate. Awesome idea. And great to see it completed.
    Just something I though of thou while reading (and can maybe be added if needed), what happens to vids which are say 10 years old??
    Obviously tracks and conditions change yearly so have you built in something which brings the most recent vid of, let's say power lines track is a popular one, to the top of the list of however many are there so the user is getting the most recent conditions??

Hope that makes sence. Lol.
    But again, mammoth idea. Looking toward checking it out in a bit..
    Cheers
    Kallen Westbrook

11. The Following User Says Thank You to BigRAWesty For This Useful Post:

AB (3rd November 2013)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This guy is amazing!!! You are worth more money AB!!

13. The Following User Says Thank You to First Patrol For This Useful Post:

AB (3rd November 2013)

Thanks
    Thanked 12,386 Times in 6,250 Posts
    Mentioned
    201 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    So pumped for you man!
    Guys I've been using the app on my Android phone for a little while now and it's really good. I used it on our last forum trip and uploaded a couple of videos from it and it was a lot easier to do it that way rather than remember the location, then come home and upload via the computer and enter in the location (if I still remember it by that stage)
    I downloaded the app on my iPad tonight and it seems to work great too.

Thanks Andy, let's all get this worldwide!

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Winnie For This Useful Post:

AB (3rd November 2013)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    579 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Thanks gents, appreciate any help you can do blokes....Awesome!!!

I gave up so many times..lol...No one has done this so there is no help out there unfortunately when problems cropped up.

Westy, yes mate have thought of that and I don't think it will be that hard. Maybe in 12 months time when its more stable and more videos I can put a script in to clear out videos older then XXXX or something along those lines for sure.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to AB For This Useful Post:

BigRAWesty (3rd November 2013)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    579 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I also spent a long time trying to make this mobile friendly....Its ten times better on desktop computer by the way!!!

Patrol God
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,095 Times in 3,139 Posts
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Awesome work Andy. Me and a mate were talking about something like this not existing so he will be pumped when I show him. He's been using the 4x4 earth (without video).
    Will also spread the word and give it a shot my self! Good stuff mate.
    2005 TD42TI

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Hodge For This Useful Post:

AB (3rd November 2013)

Page 1 of 22 12311 ... LastLast