User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: low water alarm intermittently going off

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have you tried pulling the sensor out and cleaning it or maybe the sensor is faulty.???.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to bear3103 For This Useful Post:

Stropp (4th November 2013)

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 7,424 Times in 3,003 Posts
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bear3103 View Post
    Have you tried pulling the sensor out and cleaning it or maybe the sensor is faulty.???.
    The ’sensor’ is only a machine screw screwed into a plastic sleeve.

Whilst in contact with the coolant it maintains an electrical circuit. If the electrical circuit is broken the alarm goes off. So whilst a dirty ’sensor’ could cause the problem, it would be very unlikely for it to be intermittent. It would also seem not possible for it to be faulty. I would think that a faulty connection/internal break in a wire might be the most likely cause, but the fact that revving the motor stops the alarm sounding points more to the ’sensor’ losing contact with the coolant.
    Attached Images Attached Images

2006 4.2TDi ex-Telstra Remote area Camper. 425w roof mounted solar, 360Ah Aux batts, BCDC1240, Onboard hot & cold pressurised & filtered water, (25 litre hot water calorifier), ARB fridge, ARB freezer, Built in kitchen, heaps of easy access storage, 240v, 3” Genie exhaust + dynotune, 2” lift, 3900kg GVM upgrade, second glovebox, ROH Blaktrak steel wheels, Bridgestone D697's (now Toyo RT's), Redarc gauges/pillarpod, Hema HX-1, Icom 450 CB, dual rear view cameras, Onboard 30amp Victron mains charger, second glovebox, dual seat conversion, TPMS, Boss PX7 onboard air with 9 litre tank, 350w inverter, Steel bullbar, Harrop Eaton diff lock (front), Warn winch, Snorkel, Dual spares , 160 litre water tank, 180 litre fuel in two tanks (approx 1200km range) 2010 Tvan Tanami. (incl another 70 litre water tank) with matching wheels/tyres (& 3rd spare)
    A Nomadic Life (Blog)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Cuppa For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 4,717 Times in 2,491 Posts
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes that's what I thought cuppa but I have loosened that sensor a few times and let the coolant fluid out but never had air come out, also after doing that the alarm does not go off for a few weeks.
    2003 gu3 td42tdi sold 😞 bloody gvm towing crap. Bt50 3500kg gvm.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,210 Times in 1,286 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What about the earthing system? Is it tight and clean? Just guessing now....
    1999 GU 4500 dual fuel

Il dado è tratto

8. The Following User Says Thank You to NP99 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeh checked it and it looks good

Thanks
    Thanked 5,663 Times in 3,158 Posts
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I'm with cuppa in thinking it could be the water pump. On the machinery I work on I have seen a similar thing where the coolant flow is low give it a rev and all good. This is really kinda grasping at straws as you should see other symptoms if a water pump is on its way.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to nissannewby For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 9,963 Times in 7,394 Posts
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    On the water pump theory have you grabbed
    the water pump to see if any play in the shaft,
    any signs of coolant under water pump shaft, or further down if dripping.
    04 ST 3lt auto, not enough Mods to keep me happy, but getting there

13. The Following User Says Thank You to threedogs For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    try descaling the probe this causes alarms going off in buses they need to be cleaned regular and a specific coolant to stop this happening
    07 crd,,bridgestone 697lt, 2.75 buedesert ex, SOLD theres a lot of my blood, sweat and money in that troll.

92 gq ti tb42efi my brothers gq extractors dual batteries brake controller uhf alloy bullbar SOLD with a heavy heart but gone to a nice young fella

13 y62 the beast that burbles

15. The Following User Says Thank You to kevin07 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ok will pull the sensor and check it and look for the other bits with the water pump but ihave never seen any leaks.

Thanks
    Thanked 7,424 Times in 3,003 Posts
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wasn’t thinking in terms of leaks. Reason I asked if you had run water rather than coolant was thinking about the possiblity that the impeller (or whatever it has) of the water pump may have become pitted or rough, potentially causing diferent swirl patterns/cavitation ................ but it’s a pretty long shot, & not really the basis for dismantling the pump.

Another thought, & I haven’t looked at any diagrams or the real thing, so it’s only a shot in the dark ....... the sensor screws into the thermostat housing. Is it possible that Stropp might have a ‘sticky thermostat’ causing the problem? .... Anyone? Stropp does the alarm go off after a good run, or only whilst the motor is still warming up?

You could also try putting a longer sensor in to see if this makes the problem go away. If it stops the alarm going off you’ll know it’s not an electrical connection issue.

Cuppa

2006 4.2TDi ex-Telstra Remote area Camper. 425w roof mounted solar, 360Ah Aux batts, BCDC1240, Onboard hot & cold pressurised & filtered water, (25 litre hot water calorifier), ARB fridge, ARB freezer, Built in kitchen, heaps of easy access storage, 240v, 3” Genie exhaust + dynotune, 2” lift, 3900kg GVM upgrade, second glovebox, ROH Blaktrak steel wheels, Bridgestone D697's (now Toyo RT's), Redarc gauges/pillarpod, Hema HX-1, Icom 450 CB, dual rear view cameras, Onboard 30amp Victron mains charger, second glovebox, dual seat conversion, TPMS, Boss PX7 onboard air with 9 litre tank, 350w inverter, Steel bullbar, Harrop Eaton diff lock (front), Warn winch, Snorkel, Dual spares , 160 litre water tank, 180 litre fuel in two tanks (approx 1200km range) 2010 Tvan Tanami. (incl another 70 litre water tank) with matching wheels/tyres (& 3rd spare)
    A Nomadic Life (Blog)

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Cuppa For This Useful Post:

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast