Thread: dont get ripped off

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Angry dont get ripped off

hi guys, just put my diesel patrol in to the mechanics cuase the bitch would not start for me, i whacked on a new fuel filter but could not get it to prime, could suck the fuel through but just did not prime, the mechanic said it was the fuel pump which would take $4000 to fix!!!!!!!!!, anyway i put up an argument that it should still prime, rang him the nexr day and he said i was right on the money, the o-rings in the primer had perished, $245 for the new primer + $170 for labour, just be carefull out there guys.
    cheers harry

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to harrysnissian For This Useful Post:

Bloodyaussie (2nd November 2013), growler2058 (2nd November 2013), mudski (5th November 2013), Stropp (2nd November 2013)

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 2,210 Times in 1,286 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Without knowledge that was going to cost 4k, well done!
    1999 GU 4500 dual fuel

Il dado è tratto

Thanks
    Thanked 13,507 Times in 6,602 Posts
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Good job mate. $170 for labour though mate?? He is taking the piss!
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to MudRunnerTD For This Useful Post:

growler2058 (2nd November 2013)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,963 Times in 7,394 Posts
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Can't justify the hourly rate some charge, they don't work for McLaren do they
    Good to hear you didn't get a new $4000 one ripped for you
    04 ST 3lt auto, not enough Mods to keep me happy, but getting there

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Any injection problems see Kim Rule at Total Fuel Injection Service in Balcatta, honest as the day is long.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    here is some good info on replacing fuel filter gu patrol also I thought the price for the primer was a bit too high can get an after market one from western filters a lot cheeper
    When you replace a fuel filter on a 3.0 it is vital that you get all the air out of the system or you can over heat the fuel pump controller and cook it.

The guys at Diesel Australia have shown me the results of what happens and how it happens and I am working with them now on a replacement pump and controller that doesn't cost 3 grand so 3.0 owners will be able to breathe a bit easier.

I digress.

So to get all the air out.

When you remove the hoses from the filter housing to replace the filter make sure you block them tight to keep as much air as possible out while you replace the filter.

Undo the two bolts and remove the filter and housing head.

Unscrew the filter while holding the head in a vice. You'll probably need a good filter wrench to do this.

Fit the new filter checking that both seals are seated correctly. Replace the head and fit the hose to the fuel tank. Make sure it is clamped on firmly with no air leaks.

Prime the system until you get a full flow of diesel from the outlet of the filter.

Re-connect the hose to the diesel pump.

Try priming the system again. Keep pumping until it is too hard to press any more.

Have someone start the truck and keep priming while it starts and idles for 2 - 3 minutes to get all the little air bubbles out of the diesel pump passages.

What frys the controllers and pumps is that an air bubble gets trapped at the top of the pump and then the heat builds up at that point under the controller chip and it cooks.

Most fried 3.0 pumps are in fact mechanically OK so if the controller can be replaced and made talk to the ECU correctly for a couple hundred dollars 3.0 owners with fried pumps will be spared a couple of grand.
    I didn't write this was from somewhere else
    2007 GU 6 /ST-L / MYO8 / DIESEL/AUTO /MOONSTONE /pro vent 200
    OH LEATHER IS NICE

10. The Following User Says Thank You to my third 256 For This Useful Post:

boots (5th November 2013)

The master farter
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,319 Times in 6,443 Posts
    Mentioned
    462 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I just remove my filter on the car... No need to remove to whole unit. I put a new filter on, pump away until the pump feel solid, crank her over, pump and, crank, pump and then it starts. But everyone has their own way of doing things I suppose. Might be different for the CRD's and this fuel pump controller thing...