Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Meetup in the middle 2014. Qld convoy/double crossing

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So how many have actually signed up?? Do you plan on the French Line or something else? Are folks taking spouses/partners?
    Seems like a 3 day crossing is pretty much a dash with no time to "smell the roses"' -it is 504k from Dalhousie to Birdsville, 757 from Kulgera.
    Brisbane to Birdsville is doable in two long days--Quilpie is about half way. We just did that run in reverse.
    I just came back from a Simmo disaster --my "colleague" decided at Kulgera that as it rained in Alice Springs, he would detour via Oodnadatta and skip the Simmo--and he had the fridge, max trax etc. so we were left with little choice but to tag along--after driving 5,000k and months of planning---especially as 50% of the Oodnadatta was closed. Really unhappy and lesson learned--don't share critical stuff!!!
    GU IV 2006; 3.0 DDi ST-S; Nissan Snorkel, Bull Bar and Tow Bar; Warn 8,000# Winch with Dyneema rope; Auber EGT, Boost and dual Battery gauges; Provent 200; Dual Batteries; Three Dogs recovery points; Rear Springs +20% load; Outback drawers and Cargo Barrier; UHF; [GPS, Radio, CD, Bluetooth, SD, USB] floor extension; Alloy roof rack
    "Smart people know what they don't know"

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 13,452 Times in 6,588 Posts
    Mentioned
    324 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr Gary View Post
    So how many have actually signed up?? Do you plan on the French Line or something else? Are folks taking spouses/partners?
    Seems like a 3 day crossing is pretty much a dash with no time to "smell the roses"' -it is 504k from Dalhousie to Birdsville, 757 from Kulgera.
    Brisbane to Birdsville is doable in two long days--Quilpie is about half way. We just did that run in reverse.
    I just came back from a Simmo disaster --my "colleague" decided at Kulgera that as it rained in Alice Springs, he would detour via Oodnadatta and skip the Simmo--and he had the fridge, max trax etc. so we were left with little choice but to tag along--after driving 5,000k and months of planning---especially as 50% of the Oodnadatta was closed. Really unhappy and lesson learned--don't share critical stuff!!!
    Yes that sounds average indeed mate. Definitely need your own Fridge and recovery gear. I am not sure how many (if any) are still heading down for this trip from QLD. I dont have any on my trip list in the main thread. In saying that if you can make your way to Daulhousie for the 1st July your welcome to travel West / East with our group. Currently 10 vehicles. No Trailers.
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    324 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!

The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,508 Times in 702 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Feel your pain....... Had a similar experience with "friends" as well and up that way too.

I really hope you get to do it another time with new colleagues who are on the same page as you!
    You can still do it with us??
    GU Patrol: 3LTD :- The cheapest option is to buy the right thing the first time! - YEP WORKS FOR ME!!
    Front and Rear "LOCKED" WOO HOO !! squeal, scream, squeal toot toot !! hahahaha

NISSAN PATROL.com.au .......stickers........done by Snicko.......I know you want one....
    http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forum...screen-Sticker

Thanks
    Thanked 4,697 Times in 2,480 Posts
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    all to comon, my mate drove from nsw to do the csr and got to giles before leaving the tour group after the "leader" took them onto wrong tracks and getting lost a few times but could not be told they were heading in the wrong direction. reminds me of that advert on telly "i know boats" pmsl
    2003 gu3 td42tdi sold 😞 bloody gvm towing crap. Bt50 3500kg gvm.

Thanks
    Thanked 7,519 Times in 3,291 Posts
    Mentioned
    126 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Don't tell me about boats...loved that add.glug glugg glugg
    Watch this space, as there maybe a comment added soon

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Avo For This Useful Post:

Stropp (23rd May 2014)

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Im still keen to go, but its coming down to funds (fuel money) and i would have a camper trailer + 2 kids with me.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    324 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kelly View Post
    Im still keen to go, but its coming down to funds (fuel money) and i would have a camper trailer + 2 kids with me.
    The kids are fine I will have my young fella Zach with me (8). You would be the only trailer in the group and it would be much better if you could travel without it. Or tow it to chords ills and unhook, do the crossing and pick it up after? That was my plan but now just leaving it at home and taking the OzTent.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,640 Times in 3,287 Posts
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kelly View Post
    FWIW I am towing my camper.
    You don't "have" to do the Simmo Crossing albeit most are.
    For example I'll be rolling into Dalhousie setting up the Camper and doing an "out and back" or two thru the Western Simpson.
    After that I might swing around the bottom to Birdsville via Oodnadatta and:
    meet the mob at Big Red, or
    drive the K1 and meet them at Poeppels, or
    meet at Birdsville for one last Beer and then do all the Burke and Wills stuff around Innaminka, or
    head North and skip Innaminka this time and come back to the Alice and the West Mac's via the Plenty Hwy
    Last edited by the evil twin; 27th May 2014 at 06:34 PM.
    Dolphins are so smart that within a few weeks of captivity, they can train people to stand on the very edge of the pool and throw them fish.

Thanks
    Thanked 20,715 Times in 8,559 Posts
    Mentioned
    579 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I cannot believe how quick this has now come around and much time we had to get ready...lol

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast