Thread: fuel problem 2005 patrol

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

fuel problem 2005 patrol

hi every one, had my diesel patrol (2005 model) for 3 yrs now, over the last 2 yrs it just wont start every now and again, have to prime the filter or turn her around so she faces down-hill and pump the primer to get fuel through. i can blow air through the line to the tank no worries, i can suck on the line to get fuel through to the primer but the bitch wont start, put a new fuel filter on also, still no fuel, but when i put fuel down the primer to motor line she starts and runs for 10-15 seconds, now my mechanic tells me she needs a new fuel pump!!!!. quoted me $4000. friends have told me even if the fuel pump is faulty you should still be able to prime the fuel line, maybe an air leak?
    any ideas guys+ can i get a second hand pump from the wreckers and put it on??
    cheers every one

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 13,507 Times in 6,602 Posts
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    TD42 or ZD30 mate?

My GUIV TD42Ti developed this same problem while doing the Madigan Line. Took me 6 months to find the trouble. I had already put the funds aside to rebuild the pump! Lloyd glad I didn't cause it would not have fixed the problem and I would have been shattered!!

Do you have a long range tank? Have you changed anything on the car? How long has it been like this?

Mine turned out to be a stone that worn through the steal fuel line on top of the rear spring tower!! Would never have found it!! I cut the line and replaced it wil a rubber fuel line and a 6month problem was gone!! Happy days.

Air leak for sure mate.
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Harrysnissan

I'm no expert but suggest you check the rubber fuel lines that feeds the fuel filter.

I had a pin hole air leaks in mine and while the impact on mine was not as severe it certainly reduced power and revs and general performance. Replaced all rubber lines and made a new GQ.

Cheers
    Chimo

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yup sounds like an air leak, check the lines first and also the injectors are tight with no leaks and no damage to the washers. also the priming pump has a rubber washer and make sure that isnt perished aswell. also check the injectors lines for cracks. Worst case scenario could be the seals on the injector pump. there are also six nuts on the back on the injector pump, make sure they havnt come lose also.