OUR VIDEOS GALLERY MEMBER SPONSORSHIP VENDOR SPONSORSHIP

User Tag List

Page 513 of 518 FirstFirst ... 13413463503511512513514515 ... LastLast
Results 5,121 to 5,130 of 5179

Thread: What did you buy today

  1. #5121
    Legendary
    PeeBee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    Melbourne South east
    Posts
    4,080
    Thanks
    3,865
    Thanked 3,835 Times in 2,241 Posts
    Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nic,

    big winch. Are your winch and or crumple zone mounts/airbags if fitted up to this load? My son-in-law bought an LDV and the max load capacity for his vehicle is 8000lb winch, and looking at the tin foil chassis i doubt thats even over rated. TJM make a bar but 8000lb is his limit.
    Manufacturer of the Complete Camp Oven System

    Website:http://davesstuff.net/

    Vendor Page: http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forum...ar-That-Works/

    Tuturial Video's: http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forum...ted-on-Youtube

  2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement
    Join Date
    Always
    Location
    Advertising world
    Posts
    Many

     

  3. #5122
    Daily Lurker rusty_nail's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Yarra Valley, Vic
    Posts
    5,764
    Thanks
    8,382
    Thanked 6,036 Times in 2,583 Posts
    Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PeeBee View Post
    Nic,

    big winch. Are your winch and or crumple zone mounts/airbags if fitted up to this load? My son-in-law bought an LDV and the max load capacity for his vehicle is 8000lb winch, and looking at the tin foil chassis i doubt thats even over rated. TJM make a bar but 8000lb is his limit.
    Hi mate, the winch I have fitted is an Ironman bullbar, they say you can fit up to 12000lb for max dimensions, and I have confirmed the winch will fit in cradle. Regarding the car, my neighbour is a boilermaker welder by trade, he has said the chassis platform the car sits on is lightyears ahead of our other neighbours 2019 Hilux, infact he went as far as to say it it is probably one of the best welded, and strongly constructed chassis' he has seen in the modern vehicle market. His bread and butter is he works on busses, trucks and light vehicles so I'll take his word for it.

    To be fair I highly doubt I'll ever be loading the winch up that much as much as it's capacity, it was just a decent price, from a Victorian company(not king's) and I figured what can I loose.

    Do you see any problems I hadn't considered?

    Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
    Last edited by rusty_nail; 12th August 2021 at 07:16 PM.
    I got red dust in my veins.

    Check out My Rig here: Broken

    Pics of Forum trips I've Been on:
    Pizza at AB's - 2012 Knockwood - 2013 Krissos Place Australia Day - 2015 Pizza at AB's - March 2015 Pizza at AB's - May 2015 Dargo - 2015 Newnes - 2016

    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

  4. #5123
    Legendary
    PeeBee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    Melbourne South east
    Posts
    4,080
    Thanks
    3,865
    Thanked 3,835 Times in 2,241 Posts
    Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Its a fair thing to suggest you won't use the capacity until you do. In the engineering field, you design the structure to suit the max load the winch can develop, and then whatever factor of safety. Look up some load recovery factors for bogged to the floor board vehicles, and see how the load magnifies. Ultimately your call at the end of the day, just don't let the recovery ops get away from the stated capacity of the bar - yes, your words say 12000lb max dimension, but ultimately you have a beast that supposedly can generate 17500lbs single line pull. If you do pull the chassis out of alignment or something lets go on the winch bar or mounts, could be an interesting conversation with the insurance company at best. If it was me, I would be guided by the capacity of the bar, rather than the assurances of the boilermaker next door.
    Manufacturer of the Complete Camp Oven System

    Website:http://davesstuff.net/

    Vendor Page: http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forum...ar-That-Works/

    Tuturial Video's: http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forum...ted-on-Youtube

  5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PeeBee For This Useful Post:

    Cremulator (12th August 2021), rusty_nail (12th August 2021)

  6. #5124
    Daily Lurker rusty_nail's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Yarra Valley, Vic
    Posts
    5,764
    Thanks
    8,382
    Thanked 6,036 Times in 2,583 Posts
    Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PeeBee View Post
    Its a fair thing to suggest you won't use the capacity until you do. In the engineering field, you design the structure to suit the max load the winch can develop, and then whatever factor of safety. Look up some load recovery factors for bogged to the floor board vehicles, and see how the load magnifies. Ultimately your call at the end of the day, just don't let the recovery ops get away from the stated capacity of the bar - yes, your words say 12000lb max dimension, but ultimately you have a beast that supposedly can generate 17500lbs single line pull. If you do pull the chassis out of alignment or something lets go on the winch bar or mounts, could be an interesting conversation with the insurance company at best. If it was me, I would be guided by the capacity of the bar, rather than the assurances of the boilermaker next door.
    fair call mate. i guess im never going to put this car into the position it will be bogged, or winching two vehicles out in situ, at max load ill be pulling over a tree in my yard, clearing a track or pulling the car loaded with firewood up a hill thats too slippery to drive. ill keep in mind your comments.
    I got red dust in my veins.

    Check out My Rig here: Broken

    Pics of Forum trips I've Been on:
    Pizza at AB's - 2012 Knockwood - 2013 Krissos Place Australia Day - 2015 Pizza at AB's - March 2015 Pizza at AB's - May 2015 Dargo - 2015 Newnes - 2016

    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

  7. The Following User Says Thank You to rusty_nail For This Useful Post:

    PeeBee (12th August 2021)

  8. #5125
    SUCH IS LIFE Maxhead's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    ACT
    Posts
    11,730
    Thanks
    4,624
    Thanked 6,666 Times in 3,562 Posts
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    What did you buy today

    Quote Originally Posted by rusty_nail View Post
    fair call mate. i guess im never going to put this car into the position it will be bogged, or winching two vehicles out in situ, at max load ill be pulling over a tree in my yard, clearing a track or pulling the car loaded with firewood up a hill thats too slippery to drive. ill keep in mind your comments.
    A lot of engineering says this and that, at the end of the day bigger whinch will do a better job. Who gives a fuck. Drive it, get it stuck and winch it. Get out…happy days


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ________________________
    ______ 2017 D-Max _______



    I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit


    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

  9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Maxhead For This Useful Post:

    Hodge (13th August 2021), Rossco (13th August 2021), rusty_nail (13th August 2021)

  10. #5126
    Legendary
    PeeBee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    Melbourne South east
    Posts
    4,080
    Thanks
    3,865
    Thanked 3,835 Times in 2,241 Posts
    Mentioned
    169 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Maxhead View Post
    A lot of engineering says this and that, at the end of the day bigger whinch will do a better job. Who gives a fuck. Drive it, get it stuck and winch it. Get out…happy days


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Maybe you could do us all a favour and start an auto 4wd insurance company with these terms and conditions - I suspect you would get a lot of policy's and equally a lot of claims.
    Last edited by PeeBee; 13th August 2021 at 08:33 AM.
    Manufacturer of the Complete Camp Oven System

    Website:http://davesstuff.net/

    Vendor Page: http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forum...ar-That-Works/

    Tuturial Video's: http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forum...ted-on-Youtube

  11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PeeBee For This Useful Post:

    Hodge (13th August 2021), Maxhead (13th August 2021)

  12. #5127
    Patrol God
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    6,310
    Thanks
    5,170
    Thanked 5,449 Times in 2,897 Posts
    Mentioned
    157 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PeeBee View Post
    Maybe you could do us all a favour and start an auto 4wd insurance company with these terms and conditions - I suspect you would get a lot of policy's and equally a lot of claims.
    I'll take out a policy for sure .

    Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk
    2005 TD42TI

  13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hodge For This Useful Post:

    PeeBee (13th August 2021), Rossco (13th August 2021)

  14. #5128
    SUCH IS LIFE Maxhead's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    ACT
    Posts
    11,730
    Thanks
    4,624
    Thanked 6,666 Times in 3,562 Posts
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PeeBee View Post
    Maybe you could do us all a favour and start an auto 4wd insurance company with these terms and conditions - I suspect you would get a lot of policy's and equally a lot of claims.
    Insurance? Why complicate things


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ________________________
    ______ 2017 D-Max _______



    I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit


    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

  15. #5129
    Daily Lurker rusty_nail's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Yarra Valley, Vic
    Posts
    5,764
    Thanks
    8,382
    Thanked 6,036 Times in 2,583 Posts
    Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PeeBee View Post
    Maybe you could do us all a favour and start an auto 4wd insurance company with these terms and conditions - I suspect you would get a lot of policy's and equally a lot of claims.
    Hey mate was thinking seriously today about your suggestion, just wondering, if you are doing a double line pull does this not also increase the pulling capacity of the winch or the force the winch is able to pull through? Does that mean if you winch out with a double line pull you would also be exceeding your bullbar capacity? Keen to hear it from an engineering perspective

    Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
    I got red dust in my veins.

    Check out My Rig here: Broken

    Pics of Forum trips I've Been on:
    Pizza at AB's - 2012 Knockwood - 2013 Krissos Place Australia Day - 2015 Pizza at AB's - March 2015 Pizza at AB's - May 2015 Dargo - 2015 Newnes - 2016

    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

  16. The Following User Says Thank You to rusty_nail For This Useful Post:

    Hodge (13th August 2021)

  17. #5130
    Patrol God
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    6,310
    Thanks
    5,170
    Thanked 5,449 Times in 2,897 Posts
    Mentioned
    157 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rusty_nail View Post
    Hey mate was thinking seriously today about your suggestion, just wondering, if you are doing a double line pull does this not also increase the pulling capacity of the winch or the force the winch is able to pull through? Does that mean if you winch out with a double line pull you would also be exceeding your bullbar capacity? Keen to hear it from an engineering perspective

    Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
    You'd be halving the load and splitting it between the bar and whatever the hook ends up being on.
    Usually the recovery point which is usually on the chassis.

    Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk
    2005 TD42TI

  18. The Following User Says Thank You to Hodge For This Useful Post:

    rusty_nail (13th August 2021)

Page 513 of 518 FirstFirst ... 13413463503511512513514515 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •