Legendary
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,674 Times in 2,651 Posts
    Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MudRunnerTD View Post
    Ok. So this changes things a little. To start with it is running a 9.5mm rope..... regardless of your 17K capacity yoyr 9.5mm rope will let you down way way before you get near terminal pull. The 13K Runva I have bought has an 11mm rope. My 24v Himount runs a 12mm rope.

Know also your 17K will be measured on the first wrap of rope around the drum. It will probably be fine mate.
    I am a little bothered by this Daz. The last thing you want is the rope to fail before the winch gives up. Looking at the capacity of various 9.5mm ropes they are all over the place regards minimum breaking point, some over and some under the max pull of the winch. i know we have some assurances that the winch is unlikely to be used to its capacity, but, who knows what can happen in a moment of stress or enthusiasm? I would want a rope that can withstand the 17500lb and then some, like increasing to the 11 or 12mm diameter. of course it depends on what duty and life its going to have, and no doubt your 24V high mount application is some distance away from this one. Its going to be hard to ascertain the grade of rope to be honest unless the manufacturer states the breaking load point of the rope. Again, play safely is probably my recommendation, and I would prefer to have the rope intact and the vehicle safely anchored, and the winch stalled or go out on thermal than have the rope give way before it reaches the rated pull - just my way of thinking. If I could not ascertain the grade or breaking point of the rope or the rope does not have a factor of safety of at least 1.5 : 1 at 17500lb, i would probably swap it out for a known load rated rope. Or, just work within the known capacity, but difficult unless you have a strain gauge attached to the rope at some point. Good conversation this guys. I like the pick up about the bridle which makes good sense, and the max capacity at the drum, so I guess it may be ok as configured - probably thinking too hard about this and from a compliance/lifting perspective.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 5,663 Times in 3,158 Posts
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Most 9-10mm synthetic winch rope has a breaking strain higher than 17500lb... pretty easy to find all this stuff....

Legendary
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,674 Times in 2,651 Posts
    Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nissannewby View Post
    Most 9-10mm synthetic winch rope has a breaking strain higher than 17500lb... pretty easy to find all this stuff....
    Yes, agree but there is also a lot out there that is close to the rating as well, hence the comment. I am sure he will be ok based on the intended use.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,663 Times in 3,158 Posts
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PeeBee View Post
    Yes, agree but there is also a lot out there that is close to the rating as well, hence the comment. I am sure he will be ok based on the intended use.
    Have a look at my earlier comment to. Post #5138.
    His winch is not what it's advertised as.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to nissannewby For This Useful Post:

rusty_nail (13th August 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 13,452 Times in 6,588 Posts
    Mentioned
    324 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PeeBee View Post
    I am a little bothered by this Daz. The last thing you want is the rope to fail before the winch gives up. Looking at the capacity of various 9.5mm ropes they are all over the place regards minimum breaking point, some over and some under the max pull of the winch. i know we have some assurances that the winch is unlikely to be used to its capacity, but, who knows what can happen in a moment of stress or enthusiasm? I would want a rope that can withstand the 17500lb and then some, like increasing to the 11 or 12mm diameter. of course it depends on what duty and life its going to have, and no doubt your 24V high mount application is some distance away from this one. Its going to be hard to ascertain the grade of rope to be honest unless the manufacturer states the breaking load point of the rope. Again, play safely is probably my recommendation, and I would prefer to have the rope intact and the vehicle safely anchored, and the winch stalled or go out on thermal than have the rope give way before it reaches the rated pull - just my way of thinking. If I could not ascertain the grade or breaking point of the rope or the rope does not have a factor of safety of at least 1.5 : 1 at 17500lb, i would probably swap it out for a known load rated rope. Or, just work within the known capacity, but difficult unless you have a strain gauge attached to the rope at some point. Good conversation this guys. I like the pick up about the bridle which makes good sense, and the max capacity at the drum, so I guess it may be ok as configured - probably thinking too hard about this and from a compliance/lifting perspective.
    I agree a broken rope sux. I have broken more than my fair share. At the end of the day the forces needed to break thr rope really won't be evident winching up a hill. The most likely time will be chassis deep in mud with a suction factor of 300%. When the rope breaks you ain't going anywhere.

As Matt pointed out well though... it's a nice shiny Sticker. Don't believe the sticker.
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to MudRunnerTD For This Useful Post:

PeeBee (14th August 2021)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    324 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    And when in doubt. Read This again.

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forum...e-Fundamentals

The first post here covers most of this well.
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!

The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MudRunnerTD For This Useful Post:

Hodge (13th August 2021), rusty_nail (13th August 2021)

Patrol God
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,095 Times in 3,139 Posts
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MudRunnerTD View Post
    And when in doubt. Read This again.

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forum...e-Fundamentals

The first post here covers most of this well.
    That's Mr Pepper. Very informative .

I only watched his bridle video few days ago ...

https://youtu.be/V13ARMYoAos

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk
    2005 TD42TI

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Hodge For This Useful Post:

MudRunnerTD (14th August 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,997 Times in 2,911 Posts
    Mentioned
    76 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Well that went somewhere unexpected. The bots have to get it right sometime lol

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
    Last edited by rusty_nail; 14th August 2021 at 10:05 AM.
    I got red dust in my veins.

Check out My Rig here: Broken

Pics of Forum trips I've Been on:
    Pizza at AB's - 2012 Knockwood - 2013 Krissos Place Australia Day - 2015 Pizza at AB's - March 2015 Pizza at AB's - May 2015 Dargo - 2015 Newnes - 2016

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rusty_nail For This Useful Post:

Hodge (14th August 2021), Rossco (14th August 2021)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    324 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hodge View Post
    That's Mr Pepper. Very informative .

I only watched his bridle video few days ago ...

https://youtu.be/V13ARMYoAos

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk
    Outstanding Video. I liked it A Lot. On the basis of his maths a 6m rope bridle is a No Brainer... for my comments above its all about centralising the load so everything dealt with in that vid is bang on.

It gets a bit full on but bare with it. Everyone should watch that vid. I will post it in the Recovery thread.
    Last edited by MudRunnerTD; 15th August 2021 at 08:55 AM.

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MudRunnerTD For This Useful Post:

Hodge (14th August 2021), Rossco (14th August 2021), rusty_nail (14th August 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,915 Times in 2,749 Posts
    Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah he's bloody good, same with his stuff on towing / trailer sway, reckon everyone towing especially all the big rigs on the road should be mandatory to watch. . .

Sent from my SM-G781B using Tapatalk

Page 515 of 564 FirstFirst ... 15415465505513514515516517525 ... LastLast