Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 2,062 Times in 938 Posts
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AB View Post
    but the slingshot of a cable has greater odds of hitting you and will rip you apart.
    I think mythbusters proved that it wont actually rip you apart like we/I all imagine/d (steel cable tested on a pig)

Its certainly not going to be good for you, thats for sure, but i was honestly surprised at how little damage it did to little piggys skin , i think the projectile on the end of a cable carries the big danger factor ?
    <a href=http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j320/02ard/PatrolcomAvatar-1-1.jpg target=_blank>http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j3...Avatar-1-1.jpg</a>

Thanks
    Thanked 20,757 Times in 8,578 Posts
    Mentioned
    581 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Yeah now that I have woken up in a different frame of mind I'm not sure my comment was correct...lol.....I can't decide now....Neither!

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Shite, that Lounge Cruiser getting towed out by a Jeep Grand Cherokee. If I EVER accepted a tow or recovery from a JGC I'd kill myself.

Patrols are made to recover Jeeps not the other way around.
    Steve
    2011 Patrol Safari 4.8 (Fitek)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 04OFF View Post
    I think mythbusters proved that it wont actually rip you apart like we/I all imagine/d (steel cable tested on a pig)

Its certainly not going to be good for you, thats for sure, but i was honestly surprised at how little damage it did to little piggys skin , i think the projectile on the end of a cable carries the big danger factor ?
    I'm no so sure about Mythbusters being 100% with a lot of their tests.
    The epidermis of a pig is thicker than that of a human, plus dead skin is not as pliable as live tissue. Also the pig would have been hung in a cool room until they used it, so all soft tissue would be firm and all fats and jelly set.
    My old man has had experiences with these cables when they give up an let go.
    He has seen first hand when one let go and took a mans arm and half his head off.
    His advice. Stay well away...

I myself have seen the aftermath of a towball where it had snapped the thread, punched through the rear door, and was in the boot just behind a booster seat...

Some people find it funny, some take it seriously.
    I guess like they say, all fun and games until someone loses an eye (or worse).

I wonder how long these turkeys have been getting away with these situations, and how much longer until their luck runs out.

Evo
    Cheers,

Evo

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Doesn't matter really which ones worse they are all stupid. No way in hell would I be anywhere near a cable under strain, with that much pressure it's gunna hurt big time.

Patrol God
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,110 Times in 3,143 Posts
    Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bear3103 View Post
    No way in hell would I be anywhere near a cable under strain, with that much pressure it's gunna hurt big time.
    Damn right mate. I use the steel cable lug-alls at work for straining cables. I use them on a daily basis, and we work with some very large diameter cables with bays sometimes reaching 100m each way. All of this hanging of the lug alls. The handles of these things are design to bend and/or break when the maximum cable pull is reached, so you can't crank any more. Few times though I've seen the steel cable let go, and let me tell you, Mythbusters or no mythbusters... the whistling sound the cable made as it flew through the air after coming away from such tension is unreal. I would hate to see a human get in the way of that.
    Considering this, every time I'm around a winch and/or seeing one used, makes me cringe a little bit.
    2005 TD42TI

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just how do they get away with this...

Patrol God
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,830 Times in 1,250 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They do for a while till one day you read about it in the paper that somebody has died, and usually some innocent onlooker

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12