User Tag List

Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Sound dampening..

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When I finished my latest project I'll get to it http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forum...003#post440003
    Last edited by sil3nt_dr3ams; 26th October 2013 at 03:09 AM.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 2,062 Times in 938 Posts
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sil3nt_dr3ams View Post
    Westy you figure out someway we an benchmark/test it haha
    During my home cinema design/testing, i needed to test sound insulation, so i built a MDF box with open sides at opposite ends, (a square tube in otherwords), attach/suspend a db meter to one end, then cover the other end with the test product.

Place a hifi speaker at a set distance on the opposite end to the db meter (so now the sound has to travel through the test product to get to the db meter) play a set track/recording through the speaker ,play sounds with frequency/s around what you expect to encounter (you could record the car noise you wish to reduce).

This can allow you to "hot swap" different products fast and easy in a semi controlled enviroment (well compare apples with apples anyway), and while not studio accurate, its much better than swapping it on the car to find out/guess, plus you only need small samples to test each product.

Simulated compressing of a soft product ,can be done by sandwiching the product between chicken wire (or steel mesh etc), if you fix chicken wire across the open test end of your bare box for "all" testing, all you need to do is use another peice of chicken wire over the outside, to now compress the test product.

Use screws into the body of your MDF box as fixtures, so you can attach cable ties or wire around them, this will allow you to pull the outer piece of chicken wire toward the chicken wire on the box, and so compress the test product that is sandwiched between them, but still allow sound to pass.

<a href=http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j320/02ard/PatrolcomAvatar-1-1.jpg target=_blank>http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j3...Avatar-1-1.jpg</a>

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 04OFF For This Useful Post:

NissanGQ4.2 (27th October 2013), threedogs (26th October 2013)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Okay, so putting everything you said into play,

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Mini-USB-...item19d726a14a

I'm thinking two of these one inside the car one outside the car with a external sound source. As long as the two cheap db testers read the same and the external sound level is the same it should be a good place to start.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,652 Times in 3,121 Posts
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 04OFF View Post
    During my home cinema design/testing, i needed to test sound insulation, so i built a MDF box with open sides at opposite ends, (a square tube in otherwords), attach/suspend a db meter to one end, then cover the other end with the test product.

Place a hifi speaker at a set distance on the opposite end to the db meter (so now the sound has to travel through the test product to get to the db meter) play a set track/recording through the speaker ,play sounds with frequency/s around what you expect to encounter (you could record the car noise you wish to reduce).

This can allow you to "hot swap" different products fast and easy in a semi controlled enviroment (well compare apples with apples anyway), and while not studio accurate, its much better than swapping it on the car to find out/guess, plus you only need small samples to test each product.

Simulated compressing of a soft product ,can be done by sandwiching the product between chicken wire (or steel mesh etc), if you fix chicken wire across the open test end of your bare box for "all" testing, all you need to do is use another peice of chicken wire over the outside, to now compress the test product.

Use screws into the body of your MDF box as fixtures, so you can attach cable ties or wire around them, this will allow you to pull the outer piece of chicken wire toward the chicken wire on the box, and so compress the test product that is sandwiched between them, but still allow sound to pass.

Did you just have speaker playing music? Or did you play a propper dB?
    Cheers
    Kallen Westbrook

Thanks
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have purchased 10 of those sheets from jaycar. Will combine that with the dynamat I've got coming and hopefully will have a nice ride. Will let you know how it goes.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So are you takeing the fat Mat out or just continuing the lay out?
    Cheers
    Kallen Westbrook

Thanks
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Will leave the fatmat in for now and just do the sections that I haven't done yet, which is the majority of the floor, except for the cargo area.
    Edit: while the fatmat wasn't specificly designed for noise control, it has made a big difference to noise and vibrations, so until it falls off, I might just keep it in.
    Last edited by Parksy; 27th October 2013 at 09:11 AM.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Parksy For This Useful Post:

BigRAWesty (27th October 2013)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fair enough. I was thinking about the fat Mat. It would probably be fine for the floor pan hay.. Not like it can fall further.. Lol
    I might grab some dynamat for the firewall. Also thinking of that paint on stuff for the wheel arches.
    Mate we'll have the quietest patrols ever..
    Cheers
    Kallen Westbrook

12. The Following User Says Thank You to BigRAWesty For This Useful Post:

Parksy (27th October 2013)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Haha that's the plan. I fitted a 2.5" exhaust with a straight through muffler and took the family for a trip down to Canberra. Wife wasn't impressed, so I swapped the muffler for something quieter and will continue with the soundproofing. Especially as I'm taking them to qld at the end of the year.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,062 Times in 938 Posts
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Westy's Accessories View Post
    Did you just have speaker playing music? Or did you play a propper dB?

The dB im relating too is a basic measure of sound , so my dB meter tells me how loud a sound is in decibels.

The speaker i used was a subwoofer (under 400 Hz) because low frequencies are great at traveling through walls, so Bass can be the most annoying for anyone else not watching a movie , i.e your nieghbours.

I found high density products, performed best in my application, none that i used are suitable for car accoustics, so no point talking about then, but the test method/s are still very valid.
    <a href=http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j320/02ard/PatrolcomAvatar-1-1.jpg target=_blank>http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j3...Avatar-1-1.jpg</a>

15. The Following User Says Thank You to 04OFF For This Useful Post:

BigRAWesty (27th October 2013)

Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast