Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Gps.

Hi,

I am new to this GPS game when it comes to off roading. My only experience with GPS was using the unit on my I phone to get me from A to B. What I would like to be able to do with the unit is to grade, store/record and plan track exploration in a certain area like the Watagan Mountains, Sunny Corner State forest and Newnes around Sydney. I have been looking at the Garmin unit with the OZ Topo software. I would appreciate and advise any suggestions with regards to the best unit to do this job. Thanks.
    2012 Patrol. ARB Bull Bar, Rear Bar, Side Rails & Steps, Aluminium Roof Rack, On Board Air Compressor, OME 2" Lift, Diff Breathers, Safari Snorkel and UHF CB Mounted Behind Dash.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gday ,
    Its been awhile since i used gps for mapping in the pilbara , but Garmin units were the best to use imo , with the software loaded onto a laptop , planning / downloading /creating and editing wypoints /trips /tracks was pretty easy and good fun .

Thanks
    Thanked 1,903 Times in 1,096 Posts
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are a few threads on this already, have a search through and see if they help as well.

Basically tou need to work out what type of GPS and style of maps you need for what you are doing.

Do you look for a dedicated unit like Garmin or go a tablet like Galaxy or Ipad or a generic unit running WinCE?

There are heaps of options available for software lik Memory Maps, MUDMaps, HEMA, OzeExplorer, Navteq etc all with different costs, abilities and features.

All have good and bad points but it what the end user prefers and is more comfortable using at the end of the day.

Sent from my iPhone using Motorculture mobile app
    2009 GU ST 4.8L AUTO WAGON, 2" OME LIFT, 33" A/T'S, ARB DELUXE BAR, WARN XD9000 WINCH, NARVA 170 SPOTTIES, SCRUB BARS / SIDE STEPS, LONG RANGE TANK, DUALL BATTS, REAR DRAWER SYSTEM, ARB AWNING, KAYMAR REAR WHEEL CARRIER, 3" ZORST

www.swat4x4.com

5. The Following User Says Thank You to oncedisturbed For This Useful Post:

Woof (22nd October 2013)

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just stay away from anything with Navman badge. Utter POS!
    I'd be getting something like Nexus 7 tablet or similar with OzieExplorer and or Androzic and HEMA topo maps for off roading and OSM based maps for on road instead of dedicated GPS unit with obsolete Windows CE POS. There is a huge selection of GPS software for Android available so you are spoiled for choice.

Cheers

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cheers, thanks for all of that. I went with what a few of the club guys recommended. Which the 7" Garmin Unit using the Garmin Basecamp and the Garmin TOPO maps. I will let you know once I have it up and running.
    2012 Patrol. ARB Bull Bar, Rear Bar, Side Rails & Steps, Aluminium Roof Rack, On Board Air Compressor, OME 2" Lift, Diff Breathers, Safari Snorkel and UHF CB Mounted Behind Dash.

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Garmin 7" is great with the basecamp, just need a bit more practice to learn to use it to its potential.