Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Chains versus Locker

I live in PNG, and encounter two types of off-road challenges:
    • Red dirt - that becomes slimy red mud when it rains
    • Beach driving

For beach driving, I carry a pump so that I can let the tyre pressure down to increase traction when encountering difficulties.

But for red mud (which becomes slimy when it rains), I am wondering if chains would provide better results when fitted to the rear than having a locker on the front?

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Adventurous For This Useful Post:

sheepdog (25th February 2014)

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 2,062 Times in 938 Posts
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    or none of the above ?

Just get some decent mud tyres instead of chains, let your tyres down on the beach "before" you run into difficulties and you most likely wont have any.
    <a href=http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j320/02ard/PatrolcomAvatar-1-1.jpg target=_blank>http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j3...Avatar-1-1.jpg</a>

Patrol God
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,830 Times in 1,250 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sometimes Even with muddys and low pressures wet slippery clay can be almost impossible to get traction on. What tyres are you running? Maybe some of the fellas down south might be able to give some advice regarding the chains.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 04OFF View Post
    or none of the above ?

Just get some decent mud tyres instead of chains, let your tyres down on the beach "before" you run into difficulties and you most likely wont have any.
    On my previous vehicle (a 1996 Pajero) I had the mud tyres. I would like to avoid them for the following reasons:
    - While I probably drive on red mud roads/tracks every 2-3 weeks, I am only in borderline conditions about 2x per year.
    - Mud tyres just don't run as well on the road (or on the beach for that matter).
    - I seem to get higher fuel consumption with mud tyres.

So I was hoping to find a solution that is a backup should I get stuck. Frankly, in almost 6 years in PNG there have only been two occasions where it has really come down to mud tyres. Why run them all the time? On the other hand, I don't really want to have to spend a night away from home because I can't get back due to sudden wet weather.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,611 Times in 3,108 Posts
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If your keeping to low speeds I guess chains could be used, but after a while I think they would just fill up with mud and not be overly effective

Mud tyres have come a long way in the past couple of years. Sore the real luggy are a pita On road, but there are some good options now for on road and Off.
    Cheers
    Kallen Westbrook

Thanks
    Thanked 13,452 Times in 6,588 Posts
    Mentioned
    324 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I was in PNG (East Sepik) in 1994/95 and had a HZ75 Landcruiser tray back.

Back then there were 2 tyres available. thats all! most ran the same tread and everyone ran split rims. I got my hands on a set of "Mud" tyres and although a little dearer to buy i referred them.

the Junk Tyres and Split rims were a Bitch to Balance and most did not bother! Balance your tyres mate! at least the 2 front ones. It will make a massive difference. If they take a heap of weight then rotate the tyre on the rim a little and start again but well worth the effort for sure.

At that time i did not understand Tyre Pressure and now wish i did.

I'd be running 35psi in your tyres at least on the bitumen, when heading onto gravel or mud roads down to 25psi at the most, it the roads are rough, 18psi. If they are Wet and Muddy 18psi before you turn a wheel. You have a pump so your all good.

If you can get a front locker then go for it i think mate. What size tyres are you running? likely standard 265s or something.?? a Set of diamond snow chains (fairly light to carry) could be very beneficial for you i think! even 2 sets (all wheels) could make all the difference. If you can afford the locker then grab it though, even an auto locker could be ok but might give you the craps on the bitumen.

Hope that helps.
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks MudRunnerTD.

PNG has come a long way since 1995 ... and the changes are happening very quickly at the moment.

I agree about tyre pressure. Most of the time it is not an issue. It is really only when I head out get caught in an late afternoon storm while in the hills ... and even then, we usually manage. I consider the chains an "insurance policy". I hope I never have to use them, but they are there as a backup should I be unlucky.

On my previous vehicle I went for a larger tyre, but found a tall first gear a real pain. So I would like to stick with standard tyre sizes (or get reduction gears). So getting chains should be straight forward.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,903 Times in 1,096 Posts
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To be honest, I would go with Lockers than chains. Less to carry in the first place and as other's have mentioned they are another factor that will fill up with mud.

Mud can be anyone's worst enemy regardless of how good your setup is.

If it were me it would be lockers and a good set of aggressive A/T's if doing borderline / rare mud work
    2009 GU ST 4.8L AUTO WAGON, 2" OME LIFT, 33" A/T'S, ARB DELUXE BAR, WARN XD9000 WINCH, NARVA 170 SPOTTIES, SCRUB BARS / SIDE STEPS, LONG RANGE TANK, DUALL BATTS, REAR DRAWER SYSTEM, ARB AWNING, KAYMAR REAR WHEEL CARRIER, 3" ZORST

www.swat4x4.com