OUR VIDEOS GALLERY MEMBER SPONSORSHIP VENDOR SPONSORSHIP

User Tag List

Thread: Just made the Switch from Toyota.

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just made the Switch from Toyota.

Hey Everyone, im new to the nissan game, my previous car was an FJ60 Landcruiser with the 2F petrol engine. just bought an 85' MQ sd33 3.3L Diesel. So far ive just had it beaten and sprayed. Tonka truck yellow. Its actually in great nick and thats why i decided to buy it, now, what im trying to find out is ummm... MORE GRUNT!? The 3.3L diesel has plunty of grunt already, however im feelin some forced induction is in order. Now the question is do i go for the general turbo add on, or something more sinister like a supercharger. to be honest im thinking the turbo is the better option in regards to price and practicality etc, also im worried that if its a belt driven supercharger it will slip when i try to pass water crossings and no one wants that. Also i know many turbo kits have been attached to these sd33's and they have had very minimal, usually no problems and in regards to boost ive heard that it kicks in at around 1200rpm anyway and it idles on 800. Just wondering if anyone has an opinion on the subject or maybe knows anything more thru there own experience? thanks.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    anyone who would like to contact me directly can contact me on 0432 394 174. Cheers.

Legendary
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,137 Times in 1,001 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One of our Qld members (Finly owner/ Tim) recently picked up a complete SD33T for about $500. The factory turbo SD33 has a stronger bottom end and piston oil squirters that the naturally aspirated motor missed out on.

Tony

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by YNOT View Post
    One of our Qld members (Finly owner/ Tim) recently picked up a complete SD33T for about $500. The factory turbo SD33 has a stronger bottom end and piston oil squirters that the naturally aspirated motor missed out on.

Tony
    Oh tru, dont suppose you know anywhere in western australia that can do this kind of work? also, once the turbo is installed do you know what kind of PSI i can expect to run with it? cheers.

Legendary
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,137 Times in 1,001 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wouldn't bother trying to upgrade a naturally aspirated motor, just drop in a complete SD33T engine. Apart from the exhaust I think the SD33 and SD33T engines should be a straight swap.
    Most factory diesel turbos of that era run about 7Psi.

Tony

Thanks
    Thanked 3,835 Times in 2,012 Posts
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TonkaTuff View Post
    Hey Everyone, im new to the nissan game, my previous car was an FJ60 Landcruiser with the 2F petrol engine. just bought an 85' MQ sd33 3.3L Diesel. So far ive just had it beaten and sprayed. Tonka truck yellow. Its actually in great nick and thats why i decided to buy it, now, what im trying to find out is ummm... MORE GRUNT!? The 3.3L diesel has plunty of grunt already, however im feelin some forced induction is in order. Now the question is do i go for the general turbo add on, or something more sinister like a supercharger. to be honest im thinking the turbo is the better option in regards to price and practicality etc, also im worried that if its a belt driven supercharger it will slip when i try to pass water crossings and no one wants that. Also i know many turbo kits have been attached to these sd33's and they have had very minimal, usually no problems and in regards to boost ive heard that it kicks in at around 1200rpm anyway and it idles on 800. Just wondering if anyone has an opinion on the subject or maybe knows anything more thru there own experience? thanks.
    Hey Bro.

You've got more guts than me to paint it TT yellow. lol. The paint job will certainly turn lots of heads. My suggestion is not to go overboard with the mods, if you know what I mean. Having said that, I don't want to dampen your enthuasism to mod your truck.

Give it a little bit of time and somebody from WA will be able to help you. Most of the people on here are from over east and Vic & NSW are 21hrs behind us (or 3 hrs ahead), so the forum goes pretty quiet after about 7-8pm. lol

Take care out there.

Ross
    DX grunt
    Winner of 'Best 4 x 4 ' at the 2017 Albany Agricultural Society Inc - Town n Country Ute Muster.

Ex Telstra - 2005, 4.2 TDi ute -with pod and more fruit than a grocery shop.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would look on Ebay, plenty of these MQ/MK in SA, Tony (of course) is right. Straight swap for SD33/SD33T as long as you also make sure you have the correct voltage accessories.

ie: If you get a 24v SD33T and your SD33 is 12v then you would swap; starter, alternator,a/c clutch, engine shut off module, etc.

Tim
    Getting Older Is Unavoidable, Growing Up Is Optional!

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    cheers guys thats great info, my other option was converting it to a v8 diesel. but thats going to take alotta time and money, i really love my 4wding and go most weekends. It currently has a 2 inch lift and other than that it really has no mods. Hopefully get it back from the paint shop on wednesday, but we'll see how we go. for starters i wanna raise it another inch or maybe even two so i can fit some decent 33"'s on there. Its currently rolling on 31" bridgestone duelers... would never be my first choice of tyre i must say. anyway any additional info would be great, ill get some pics of it up asap, cheers.