Thread: gu/gq cab rust

Patrol Guru
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs up gu/gq cab rust

Hi guys just a observation and little mod to help preserve your pride and joy. The rear vents on your cab are not you're friends , on the inside of the vent covers are light rubber strips to alleviate the wind pressure and aircon on the fresh setting and are designed to keep the dirt and dust out. Two problems 1 the slates in the covers face down and channels the sand and dust down to sit on the side sill seams and 2 the rubber is about as good as a torn condom and rolls up aiding the flow of sand bulldust etc.

The fix Sneak the good vac out from its hiding spot give it a good clean and maybe a clean with fresh water add you're preferred rust converter, then get some 2/3 mm rubber mine had 1 layer of reinforcing and trace out your vents face down and cut out (they are side and top to bottom specific)mark the holes line it up from the top start with 1st screw at top and work your way down and I just let it hang and keep going.

The result the air pressure and aircon work fine and the crud stays outside .

the difference is my patrol had bugger all crud (manly bulldust ) but has water tank and front tool box and comes from western qld the lads has 10 k and he was too lazy to make the front mud flaps and had 1" of sand in the sills but has seen the error of his ways ! Bloody heavy diesel fitters need a slap now and then I tell u pics http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forum...1&d=1382266429
    Last edited by dads tractor; 1st December 2013 at 12:15 AM.
    U have 4 choices in life :U can like it; lump it; love it or shove it, take your pick and stick to it !

2. The Following User Says Thank You to dads tractor For This Useful Post:

Sherro (19th May 2014)

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice will be checking mine now

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Must check that! Cheers.

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Must go and check mine again, like the mod.
    the link to pics didn't work

Patrol Guru
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    IMGP1126.JPG this is the mod again
    U have 4 choices in life :U can like it; lump it; love it or shove it, take your pick and stick to it !

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    when I had a rattle in my ute looked everywhere it turned out to be those cruddy flaps also noticed a bit of dust in sills cleaned them out and placed foam between rubber and vent also worked . It is a little pressureised though so might try your method
    2012 gu6 dx canopy factory snorkel and bull bar new bfg all terrain, bellow style air bags, uhf, centre console, tinted windows, projecta 150 amp dual battery set up ipf super rally spotties, nitro oil shocks

Thanks
    Thanked 7,424 Times in 3,003 Posts
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I tried blocking mine off . I’ve found it has resulted in it being little more difficult to shut the doors unless the windows are opened slightly. I also get some ‘ear popping’ (like I get at altitude) when i turn on the air con.

2006 4.2TDi ex-Telstra Remote area Camper. 425w roof mounted solar, 360Ah Aux batts, BCDC1240, Onboard hot & cold pressurised & filtered water, (25 litre hot water calorifier), ARB fridge, ARB freezer, Built in kitchen, heaps of easy access storage, 240v, 3” Genie exhaust + dynotune, 2” lift, 3900kg GVM upgrade, second glovebox, ROH Blaktrak steel wheels, Bridgestone D697's (now Toyo RT's), Redarc gauges/pillarpod, Hema HX-1, Icom 450 CB, dual rear view cameras, Onboard 30amp Victron mains charger, second glovebox, dual seat conversion, TPMS, Boss PX7 onboard air with 9 litre tank, 350w inverter, Steel bullbar, Harrop Eaton diff lock (front), Warn winch, Snorkel, Dual spares , 160 litre water tank, 180 litre fuel in two tanks (approx 1200km range) 2010 Tvan Tanami. (incl another 70 litre water tank) with matching wheels/tyres (& 3rd spare)
    A Nomadic Life (Blog)

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    me too cuppa but in my mind better that than all the dust and other crap in my sills as with you when driving I just open the window a touch to de pressurise at least I can clean the cab almost all my driving is on the dirt. My ute is my sanctuary when working bush ie Weipa lockhart river Aurukun so I keep it spotless inside .......... Also one river crossing and the dirt becomes mud or if coastal salty mud f that
    2012 gu6 dx canopy factory snorkel and bull bar new bfg all terrain, bellow style air bags, uhf, centre console, tinted windows, projecta 150 amp dual battery set up ipf super rally spotties, nitro oil shocks

Thanks
    Thanked 7,424 Times in 3,003 Posts
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by alfonso View Post
    I just open the window a touch to de pressurise
    Yeah I agree alfonso. I think I’ll re-do mine with some rubber strip like dads tractor, & maybe some sealant too. The foam I stuffed in there won’t stop water getting in.

2006 4.2TDi ex-Telstra Remote area Camper. 425w roof mounted solar, 360Ah Aux batts, BCDC1240, Onboard hot & cold pressurised & filtered water, (25 litre hot water calorifier), ARB fridge, ARB freezer, Built in kitchen, heaps of easy access storage, 240v, 3” Genie exhaust + dynotune, 2” lift, 3900kg GVM upgrade, second glovebox, ROH Blaktrak steel wheels, Bridgestone D697's (now Toyo RT's), Redarc gauges/pillarpod, Hema HX-1, Icom 450 CB, dual rear view cameras, Onboard 30amp Victron mains charger, second glovebox, dual seat conversion, TPMS, Boss PX7 onboard air with 9 litre tank, 350w inverter, Steel bullbar, Harrop Eaton diff lock (front), Warn winch, Snorkel, Dual spares , 160 litre water tank, 180 litre fuel in two tanks (approx 1200km range) 2010 Tvan Tanami. (incl another 70 litre water tank) with matching wheels/tyres (& 3rd spare)
    A Nomadic Life (Blog)

Patrol Guru
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    where are you going too put the sealant cuppa ? the idea is for the outside of the rubber to release the pressure from the inside hence only screwed down the centre line and any water dust crud will push back against the frame.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast