User Tag List

Thread: clutch issues

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

clutch issues

have just returned from fraiser trip towing camper and have notice a noise when vehicle is cold.The noise happens when clutch pedal is depressed,clutch still works fine ,i am guessing the thrust bearingis not happy.
    is this a major problem,if so i guess a new clutch kit is required.
    Do i need to replace the flywheel,i have heard that you cant machine them or heve i been told porky pies,by the way vehicle is 04 3L
    cheers neil

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    G'day Neil
    dunno about stuffed clutches. Hope I never have to.
    Until a guru comes up with the answer, go to the search panel top right and type in something like 'clutch thrust bearing'.
    may give you something to go on
    Luck,
    Col

Thanks
    Thanked 5,663 Times in 3,158 Posts
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Is it a knocking noise or a grinding noise?

The 3.0 had a dual mass flywheel which can't be machined. Most who replace the clutch will go a single mass style which is a normal flywheel with clutch. If yours hasn't been done already it is advised to change to the single style.

As for the noise if it's a spinning/grinding noise it's more like the thrust bearing if it's a bit of a knock then it's either the dual mass flywheel or could be the pressure plate on the clutch.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gday Neil, if your getting a noise and it goes away when you apply the clutch its a fair assumption that its your throw out bearing. Do you have to replace the flywheel? Well it depends if it needs to be then yes. As a general rule if you need to replace the throw out bearing you would replace the pressure plate (pending how much wear is on the fingers). If the clutch disc is ok and flywheel is ok you shouldn't need to replace them. In saying that you need to way up the fact that you have everything apart and whilst it is more $$$ to replace it all in one sitting if you do it now it may save from having do it you 18 mths from now. And don't discount the spigot bearing I've heard some weird noises that come and go when the clutch is engaged and disengaged when their loose.

cheers
    Last edited by bluengold; 19th October 2013 at 11:53 PM. Reason: forgot something
    99 GU I 2.8, 2' TJM SUSP, IRONMAN BULL BAR & WINCH, 285/75/R16 BFG KM2'S, UHF, DUAL BATTERIES, OH AND DONT FORGET THE GAZILLION BABY SEATS....

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thanks for the reply,the noise seem to be the bearing,the good thing is the noise has gone away for the moment.If and when it comes back i will change the clutch, and fly wheel to single mass
    cheers neil

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey mate, if the problem started straight after a trip, pull the boot off the clutch fork and get the hose in there, it will get rid of any sand or whatever might be in there, otherwise the dirt will destroy the throw out bearing even faster