Thread: Must Have Basic 4x4 Recovery Kit

Thanks
    Thanked 2,206 Times in 1,474 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tkn View Post
    Just one adjustment i would make to my earlier post today - I don't know what "WWL" is?

Anyway, what it should have said is "WLL" (third line) = Working Load Limit,
    and then "For that reason I tend not to increase any "rating" beyond the WLL (of a bow shackle, for example)."
    Don't forget WLL on shackles is around 4-5 to 1. That is, a 4.5 tonne shackle has a tensile breaking strength of somewhere in the range of 16-20 tonnes of force. The reason I bring this up is someone asked me last week whats the point of having a 12000kg strap, when I only had a 4500 shackle. IMHO only, nothing less than a 3750kg shackle should be used for recovery like winching, and nothing less than a 4500kg shackle for high load recovery like snatching. Smaller shackles can be used for load bearing however - that is, using them for holding the vehicle in place whilst setting up other recovery equipment. I did this first hand when I rolled my old GQ trayback and had to drag it a bit at a time up a 70 degree plus hill and then hold it in place whilst re-positioning the recovery gear - took me and the old man about 14 hours to get it out!!!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tkn View Post
    This might not be what you had in mind when starting the thread, but it might be a help.

Seems that “spot the dummy” is popular. But what is a safe standard recovery “system” ?

I’ll jump in the deep end and put up what I think is a (general) minimum and others can pull it apart, add to it, etc. so the result might be a safe and practical (not perfect) system –

1. Two 4.5T rated recovery points.
    2. Each end of a 9T rated bridle chain or strap is fastened to a recovery point with a 4.5T rated shackle.
    3. One end of a 9T rated strap (say 10 metres long) is fastened to the bridle strap or chain with a 9T rated shackle.
    4. The other end of the 9T rated strap is fastened to a rated 9T synthetic winch cable with a 9T rated shackle.
    5. The winch cable passes through a 9T rated snatch block that is fastened to both ends of 9T rated tree protector with a 9T rated shackle.
    6. A “winch blanket” hangs on the winch cable and another “winch blanket” hangs on the 9T rated strap.

That system would not take a lot of time to set up and would offer safe working for a majority of recoveries.
    Why 9T ratings? Covers difficult and easy recoveries – huge generalisation I know, but had to start somewhere. If 9T is too high – a possibility is to work to 4.5T total load for the system.
    The 9T potential load is split between the winch (say 4.5T) and the recovery points (say 2.25T each) – all you need then is a tree or another vehicle (harnessed to a tree) to withstand the 9T that may be applied to the tree protector.
    Where are the administrators and moderators?

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wogboy View Post
    Where are the administrators and moderators?
    Not with you mate? If you're referring to the "spot the dummy" comment, he only meant we all tend to stand back and pick on others (hence, spot the dummy) whilst it is apparent that there is still more to be learned an understood by everyone with regards to force calculation when performing recovery.

Or did I miss your point? All good though either way mate.

RIP - valued member and true gentleman of this forum that will be missed by many! Silver's Avatar
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Interesting read.

I'd have to find my little card from Serafini Chains again, but if you hook a chain to itself, like the letter P, or use it like this V with the top of each leg attached to a recovery point, and the pull applied to the point of the V, the load capacity of the chain is significantly reduced. (apparently this can be avoided by using a 'cradle grab hook'?) That's why my bridle chain is an 8 tonner, not a 2 tonner.

I do wonder about recovering stranger's vehicles - I have done it but only a very simple snatch in sand, just because I don't think that people who don't even have recovery gear understand the risk, or their insurance coy might put that argument together that they did not give informed consent.

I'm a bit like that with starting with jumper leads - I'll make my old Patrol available to anyone to jump start if they have their own jumper leads and say they know what they are doing. I don't know what does and does not have a computer these days, nor how fragile they are......
    Last edited by Silver; 21st March 2011 at 01:37 AM.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Silver View Post
    Interesting read.

I'd have to find my little card from Serafini Chains again, but if you hook a chain to itself, like the letter P, or use it like this V with the top of each leg attached to a recovery point, and the pull applied to the point of the V, the load capacity of the chain is significantly reduced. (apparently this can be avoided by using a 'cradle grab hook'?) That's why my bridle chain is an 8 tonner, not a 2 tonner.

I do wonder about recovering stranger's vehicles - I have done it but only a very simple snatch in sand, just because I don't think that people who don't even have recovery gear understand the risk, or their insurance coy might put that argument together that they did not give informed consent.

I'm a bit like that with starting with jumper leads - I'll make my old Patrol available to anyone to jump start if they have their own jumper leads and say they know what they are doing. I don't know what does and does not have a computer these days, nor how fragile they are......
    Good points mate - example: my missus ran her battery flat at LCMP, and I used a dodgy set of SuperCheap cables to start her Jeep, which is electronic everything!! I had left my set of 400amp/electronic compatible leads at home and used the set that she had. Low and behold, and there was multiple people present, the cables had a core of about 3mm (utter crap) and started to overheat and all her lights and everything cut out completely. Suffice to say we sh!t as we thought we'd blown the electronics as all the relays under the bonnet were ticking (yes, like a bomb!! lol). Disconnected the battery for a bit and then once reconnected, started it first pop using heavy duty leads - interesting because as you say, had that of been a stranger, I would have thought "sh!t, we've killed her electronics" and the fact is with those cars, even the hubs, etc are electronic, so even had we started it, she would have no 4wd - not much chop if it happened in the middle of the bush!!

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by the evil twin View Post
    In reply to AB...

I consider the following as basic recovery gear.

1 Snatch strap (8,000 KG )
    1 Bridle (4,500 KG)
    2 Bow Shackles (rated min 3.7 but 4.2 preferred)
    1 Drag Chain
    1 pr Gloves (drag chains can pinch like a bitch)

...if your vehicle has a winch add

1 standard tree trunk protector (12,000 KG)
    1 standard winch extension strap (4,500Kg) or rope (equiv or better than winch pull rating so around 4,500Kg min)
    1 snatch block (9,000 KG)
    2 more shackles for rigging the block etc

IF I am solo vehicle I personally carry more than that in the form of another extension, 2 Blocks instead of 1 and extra shackles but IMHO the above is what qualifies as a "basic" kit. The extra's are so I can use a redirection as well as a pull because you don't have the luxury of positioning another vehicle in just the right spot and Murphy (the mongrel) will surely have killed off the only suitable tree for a straight pull.
    you got my recovery kit lol
    only differance is i allways carry 6x 4.2t shackels, 2 x 9000kg snatch blocks and 2 x tree trunk protector/ bridle
    any form of recovery i use a bridle both ends just in case one of the recovery points lets go ,
    i had a recovery point let go not mine (bolts snapped off ) and the winch cable and shackle left a big dent in the rear of my tray back and thats with a line damper in place
    my vehicle was tied to a tree and the pully block fitted to my recovery point
    i was watching from a safe distance and the recovery point broke off the other vehicle
    absolutly had to change my jocks
    HELL NO !!!!!!

Thanks
    Thanked 6,640 Times in 3,287 Posts
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nowoolies View Post
    you got my recovery kit lol
    only differance is i allways carry 6x 4.2t shackels, 2 x 9000kg snatch blocks and 2 x tree trunk protector/ bridle
    any form of recovery i use a bridle both ends just in case one of the recovery points lets go ,
    i had a recovery point let go not mine (bolts snapped off ) and the winch cable and shackle left a big dent in the rear of my tray back and thats with a line damper in place
    my vehicle was tied to a tree and the pully block fitted to my recovery point
    i was watching from a safe distance and the recovery point broke off the other vehicle
    absolutly had to change my jocks
    ROFL... Yep I carry more than that as well as I stated an extra block is a Godsend at times and if you don't have extra shackles you need to be good at knots in Plasma (ask the Yeagarup trip Boys from the weekend there is gunna be a few Exhaust Jacks bought in Perth over the next feww weeks I reckon, coulda sold mine for $100 if I was an rrrsehole)... but that is IMHO the "Basic" Kit.
    Last edited by the evil twin; 21st March 2011 at 07:30 PM.
    Dolphins are so smart that within a few weeks of captivity, they can train people to stand on the very edge of the pool and throw them fish.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Simple precaution for jumping is connect the neg to the block of both cars. Will help prevent a "spike" if it ever does happen. My recovery kit contains 4x 7.2t omega carabiners. http://www.omegapac.com/more_12steelstyle5.html There a lot less bulky than the old bow shackles. I also wouldn't go any were without my shovel and 8t snatch.

What my full kit actually contains is......gloves, Rubber ground sheet, 2x 8t snatch straps, 2x 4.2t shackles, 4x 7.2t carabiners, 2x winch ext strap, 1 tree protector, 1 equalising strap, 2x winch blankets, 2x winch blocks, set of maxxtrax, pick, chainsaw, axe, shovel, crowbar, drag chain, tyre/rim repair kit, electric rattle gun, 500a jumper leads, hi lift and an exhaust jack. Will prob look at getting a hand winch and 12v-24v welder soon to. As you can see i do a lot of recovering field repair ............... of other trucks.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My recovery kit is a satphone!!! Dial "1800 HELP ME".!!! lmao

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Awesome tut.
    Looking at putting together my first recovery kit.
    This will be very helpful.
    Thanks

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast