Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Must Have Basic 4x4 Recovery Kit

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This post is long, but I think all of it has to be said.

The way this thread has been progressing opens a window on why people get killed and injured recovering vehicles.

Mechanical Systems

Any mechanical system comprises of a composite of different components and assemblies that together can be assembled to form a complete system suitable for a particular operation.

A “recovery kit” is just a specific name to describe a means of assembling a system for doing work i.e. safely recovering a vehicle.
    Just as a car’s braking system is intended to work by bringing the vehicle safely to a halt.
    Where there is a mismatch of components or assemblies – including the work capacity of each, whether that is called “Working Load Limit (WLL)” or some other specification – the system is inherently unstable and potentially dangerous i.e. it might kill someone.

Vehicle recovery is always a potentially dangerous operation, no matter who is doing or supervising it.
    A “recovery kit” should be a readily usable system for doing the work and also a control system, such that the work may be completed SAFELY!

SAFETY.

You will find screeds written about it, but there is a disjunct when putting it into practice.

For example, a pallet of goods has a known mass, thus, the force that must be applied to lift that load is known.
    In vehicle recovery no one can accurately quantify the force required in any situation,
    MudrunnerDT has posted some usable figures and in the absence of calculations that show MudrunnerDT’s figures are wrong or highly inaccurate they stand for the time being.
    As I understand it, according to MudrunnerDT’s figures, a “bellied” vehicle will be about 300% of its “loaded mass” i.e. (its Tare plus load) x 3 – for a fully loaded GQ Patrol tray back that would be about 9450Kg.
    A recent article I read indicated that a bellied vehicle would need force of about 5300Kg to initiate a recovery. The vehicle mass was said to be 3.2Tonnes and from the accompanying photograph it appears that the vehicle was bellied on a flat stretch.
    If their vehicle had of been on an incline like the vehicle in MudrunnerDT’s photo then at least 30% to 75% might be added to the 5.3Tonnes i.e. 6.89Tonnes to 9.275Tonnes

Working Load Limit (WLL)

A WLL is not a rating based on a failure point i.e. the point in time or load figure at which a piece of equipment (e.g. snatch strap, chain, “D” shackle, etc.) becomes inoperable.

A WLL includes a safety factor to enable the equipment to be safely matched to and operated with other equipment.
    It has been inferred by some that a WLL is excessive when considering vehicle recovery.
    In the article I referred to earlier, words to that effect may have been used. The same article included a photograph of a bow or “D” shackle with pulley block attached – the load was shown as applied to the “legs” of the shackle and not to the crown of the shackle and to the shackle pin.
    It is an example of one of the reasons why the WLL of a shackle includes a safety margin of about 500% i.e. failure of a 4.7Tonne WLL shackle must be more than 28Tonnes.
    Another reason is that a constant straight line test cannot replicate the shock and stress of a shifting load e.g. when there is a “bounce” during the lifting operation.

Safety Factors

The article I read also said something to the effect that the WLLs for load restraint chains are less than for shackles, which is good news because they are over engineered for recovery purposes.

As I read it, the gist of the article, which is reflected in some comments posted in this forum, is that WLLs are for some unexplained reasons irrelevant to recovery equipment.

Problem is that the result is a recovery system that includes some equipment that have safety factors of 500%, some that have safety factors of 200% and some that may have safety factors of about 10%.
    The outcome is mismatched equipment i.e. WLL equipment and equipment with small safety margins.
    A number of commercially available recovery kits include mismatched equipment.
    THE SAFETY FACTOR OF THE WHOLE KIT MAY BE REDUCED TO 10% OR 30%

In my view, a safety margin of 10% OR 30% is ridiculous in any mechanical system!

Motive Forces

Winch capacity is a limiting factor in a winch driven recovery system.
    If the winch (electric, PTO, hand or any other kind) can pull say 4000Kg then that by default sets the limit of the system and all parts of the system must at least be able to safely withstand application of that pull.
    The same applies to a system that includes a winch that can pull 8000Kg – all parts of the system must at least be able to safely withstand application of that pull.
    For the sake of clarity, a chain rated for lifting 10,000Kg with a “D” shackle at each end rated for lifting 4500Kg could be used as a bridle assembly and may be considered as capable of withstanding 8000Kg with a safety margin in addition to its WLL of about 12%.

A problem with a snatch strap is the only thing known about it is that it might fail some way short of say 8000Kg or a little above 8000Kg, for example.
    The inertia of the vehicle applying force to the snatch strap may easily exceed 8000Kg – there is no inherent limiting factor, such as the capacity of an electric winch or shear pin in a hand winch.
    The snatch strap itself does not limit the force that may be applied to a recovery system except by failing, which I think we can all agree is an undesirable outcome.
    The solution IS NOT to include a snatch strap that will probably fail with application of a load in excess of other part(s) of the system – such an arrangement is dangerous and may be lethal.

THE FAILURE TONNAGE OF A SNATCH STRAP IS NOT A DE FACTO WLL.
    There is no safety factor – a test to destruction means an inoperable product.
    A snatch strap cannot have a safety factor – see above.

A few points may be summarised as follows –

1. A basic recovery kit should be suitable for common eventualities and unfortunately, drivers burying a vehicle in soft ground is commonplace – whether sand, mud, river bottom, river bank, roadside drain, sink hole, beach quicksand, leaf litter, (hidden) seaweed bank, etc., etc.
    2. The recovery of a “bellied” vehicle will probably involve a pull exceeding 8000Kg.
    3. Any person (especially one with little technical skill) should be able to assemble and operate the system to enable a driver to safely extract a vehicle from soft ground, etc.
    4. There can be no presumption that all persons are equally competent at vehicle recovery.
    5. For safety there must be certainty in the recovery process.
    6. Guesswork fails.
    7. Making do kills.

A “recovery kit” enables the assembly of different systems of work for a variety of situations, but safety must be –

(a) Constant, consistent and stable; and
    (b) Must never be compromised for the sake of convenience or to save a few dollars.

Lets try again.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tkn For This Useful Post:

CoGRedeMptioN (14th April 2012), in4m3 (30th May 2017)

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This post is long, but I think all of it has to be said.

The way this thread has been progressing opens a window on why people get killed and injured recovering vehicles.

Mechanical Systems

Any mechanical system comprises of a composite of different components and assemblies that together can be assembled to form a complete system suitable for a particular operation.

A “recovery kit” is just a specific name to describe a means of assembling a system for doing work i.e. safely recovering a vehicle.
    Just as a car’s braking system is intended to work by bringing the vehicle safely to a halt.
    Where there is a mismatch of components or assemblies – including the work capacity of each, whether that is called “Working Load Limit (WLL)” or some other specification – the system is inherently unstable and potentially dangerous i.e. it might kill someone.

Vehicle recovery is always a potentially dangerous operation, no matter who is doing or supervising it.
    A “recovery kit” should be a readily usable system for doing the work and also a control system, such that the work may be completed SAFELY!

SAFETY.

You will find screeds written about it, but there is a disjunct when putting it into practice.

For example, a pallet of goods has a known mass, thus, the force that must be applied to lift that load is known.
    In vehicle recovery no one can accurately quantify the force required in any situation,
    MudrunnerDT has posted some usable figures and in the absence of calculations that show MudrunnerDT’s figures are wrong or highly inaccurate they stand for the time being.
    As I understand it, according to MudrunnerDT’s figures, a “bellied” vehicle will be about 300% of its “loaded mass” i.e. (its Tare plus load) x 3 – for a fully loaded GQ Patrol tray back that would be about 9450Kg.
    A recent article I read indicated that a bellied vehicle would need force of about 5300Kg to initiate a recovery. The vehicle mass was said to be 3.2Tonnes and from the accompanying photograph it appears that the vehicle was bellied on a flat stretch.
    If their vehicle had of been on an incline like the vehicle in MudrunnerDT’s photo then at least 30% to 75% might be added to the 5.3Tonnes i.e. 6.89Tonnes to 9.275Tonnes

Working Load Limit (WLL)

A WLL is not a rating based on a failure point i.e. the point in time or load figure at which a piece of equipment (e.g. snatch strap, chain, “D” shackle, etc.) becomes inoperable.

A WLL includes a safety factor to enable the equipment to be safely matched to and operated with other equipment.
    It has been inferred by some that a WLL is excessive when considering vehicle recovery.
    In the article I referred to earlier, words to that effect may have been used. The same article included a photograph of a bow or “D” shackle with pulley block attached – the load was shown as applied to the “legs” of the shackle and not to the crown of the shackle and to the shackle pin.
    It is an example of one of the reasons why the WLL of a shackle includes a safety margin of about 500% i.e. failure of a 4.7Tonne WLL shackle must be more than 28Tonnes.
    Another reason is that a constant straight line test cannot replicate the shock and stress of a shifting load e.g. when there is a “bounce” during the lifting operation.

Safety Factors

The article I read also said something to the effect that the WLLs for load restraint chains are less than for shackles, which is good news because they are over engineered for recovery purposes.

As I read it, the gist of the article, which is reflected in some comments posted in this forum, is that WLLs are for some unexplained reasons irrelevant to recovery equipment.

Problem is that the result is a recovery system that includes some equipment that have safety factors of 500%, some that have safety factors of 200% and some that may have safety factors of about 10%.
    The outcome is mismatched equipment i.e. WLL equipment and equipment with small safety margins.
    A number of commercially available recovery kits include mismatched equipment.
    THE SAFETY FACTOR OF THE WHOLE KIT MAY BE REDUCED TO 10% OR 30%

In my view, a safety margin of 10% OR 30% is ridiculous in any mechanical system!

Motive Forces

If the winch (electric, PTO, hand or any other kind) can pull say 4000Kg then that by default sets the limit of the system and all parts of the system must at least be able to safely withstand application of that pull.
    The same applies to a system that includes a winch that can pull 8000Kg – all parts of the system must at least be able to safely withstand application of that pull.
    For the sake of clarity, a chain rated for lifting 10,000Kg with a “D” shackle at each end rated for lifting 4500Kg could be used as a bridle assembly and may be considered as capable of withstanding 8000Kg with a safety margin in addition to its WLL of about 12%.

A problem with a snatch strap is the only thing known about it is that it might fail some way short of say 8000Kg or a little above 8000Kg, for example.
    The inertia of the vehicle applying force to the snatch strap may easily exceed 8000Kg – there is no inherent limiting factor, such as the capacity of an electric winch or shear pin in a hand winch.
    The snatch strap itself does not limit the force that may be applied to a recovery system except by failing, which I think we can all agree is an undesirable outcome.
    The solution IS NOT to include a snatch strap that will probably fail with application of a load in excess of other part(s) of the system – such an arrangement is dangerous and may be lethal.

THE FAILURE TONNAGE OF A SNATCH STRAP IS NOT A DE FACTO WLL.
    There is no safety factor – a test to destruction means an inoperable product.
    A snatch strap cannot have a safety factor – see above.

A few points may be summarised as follows –

1. A basic recovery kit should be suitable for common eventualities and unfortunately, drivers burying a vehicle in soft ground is commonplace – whether sand, mud, river bottom, river bank, roadside drain, sink hole, beach quicksand, leaf litter, (hidden) seaweed bank, etc., etc.
    2. The recovery of a “bellied” vehicle will probably involve a pull exceeding 8000Kg.
    3. Any person (especially one with little technical skill) should be able to assemble and operate the system to enable a driver to safely extract a vehicle from soft ground, etc.
    4. There can be no presumption that all persons are equally competent at vehicle recovery.
    5. For safety there must be certainty in the recovery process.
    6. Guesswork fails.
    7. Making do kills.

A “recovery kit” enables the assembly of different systems of work for a variety of situations, but safety must be –

(a) Constant, consistent and stable; and
    (b) Must never be compromised for the sake of convenience or to save a few dollars.

Lets try again.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tkn For This Useful Post:

AB (11th January 2011), Bigrig (11th January 2011)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,206 Times in 1,474 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A lot of information, and a lot of effort put into collating it - well done mate! I won't be drawn into any discussions on the %'s to be added to a vehicles weight dependant on where and what it is stuck in, suffice to say, it's bound to be a bloody lot more than the actual loaded weight of the vehicle itself. The resounding comment that I am drawn to in your commentary is the line "There can be no presumption that all persons are equally competent at vehicle recovery" - this applies not only to the assembly and/or use of the equipment, but as demonstrated in multiple responses to this thread, it also applies to method of calculation of force required for the specific situation one may be confronted with and subsequently, whether or not (irrespective of competance with the assembly and use of recovery equipment) the recovery equipment is rated for this use. I have seen a lot of people out there (me too, but I have a range of rated shackles) whom only have 4500kg shackles as an example due to the fact they simply CANNOT get a larger shackle through the recovery points on their vehicle. The end result is rather than get rated recovery points installed, they get lower rated shackles ... this is only one very specific example of course and there would be myriads of others out there with varying stories to tell (and a lot of us truth be told who fall foul of this also). I understand, but don't condone, the reasons for doing this - money, money, money - cheaper to get a lower rated shackle for 10 bucks than a new recovery point for $100 plus ...

Top job tkn, MudRunner, and others whom have contributed to this thread ... if anything, I will certainly not be going back to school to brush up on my physics and mathemagics skills in order to calculate the pulling force required to extract a fully laden vehicle from a belly full of mud. I will however be far more mindful of vehicle extractions in future having gained an insight into the amount of force involved in these things (always knew it was a lot, but like most, just perform the motions without fully appreciating the implications). I guess to draw an analogy (good or bad), it is like the gun debate (and please don't focus on this comment - I am not a gun lover in any way but I am pragmatic about their use) - guns in themselves don't kill, but used in inappropriate manners, by inexperienced people, then the likelihood of resulting injury or death is heightened dramatically, however even with experience, accidents do happen (usually avoidable though) - no different to recovery equipment in my mind ...

Thanks
    Thanked 6,640 Times in 3,287 Posts
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    TKN...

Totally agree with your summary, very well stated.

However, I don't quite get the body of your post.

If you mean that a Basic 4x4 Recovery Kit should have 9,000 Kg rated shackles to have a "balanced" recovery kit then I am of the opinion you are wrong but then I also possibly don't know what you mean by "balanced". If I do understand what you mean then to infer that a Kit such as DX grunt linked up from Nobles that has 3.2 Tonne shackles yet 12 tonne Starps is not "balanced" is totally incorrect.

As a point of interest the design factor for rating Shackles, Slings and Chains varies slightly from 6 to (where people are in the loop) 8 or 800% if you prefer. I totally agree no-one should use ANY powered or mechanical recovery equipment without understanding what they are doing however while anyone can walk in off the street and buy the gear that will never happen. The entire objective of safe recover techniques is to educate people on understanding and interpreting equipment WLL's, calculating the forces being applied and rig the recovery appropriately.

There will always be a lowest common denominator effect in any rigging that determines the safe WLL of the recovery or situation. It might be the line pull of a winch, the shackles whatever BUT a lot of the time the weakest link is the dumbass human.

I also would guestimate (having never seen one that big) that a 9 tonne rated Bow Shackle will weigh approx 3 Kilo's and cost at least $60 each and that the pin will be well over 30mm in dia so (as Bigrig also says) it will not fit many, if any 4WD recovery points, billet hitch or winch fitting which severely limits where you can use them anyway.

For reference the largest shackle I use at work rigging moorings for undersea equipment is 8.5 tonnes rated and is goddam huge. I can get them for nothing but still wouldn't bother to carry one as I cannot concieve where I would use it.

Bottom line ? ... for Joe Average with a Basic Recovery Kit and esp with no winch then 9 ton or higher rated shackles are not practical or affordable.

However any debate on the subject is healthy and each to their own opinions. I will totally agree that always erring on the high side and "if in doubt, DON'T" is the way to go...
    Last edited by the evil twin; 11th January 2011 at 04:00 PM.
    Dolphins are so smart that within a few weeks of captivity, they can train people to stand on the very edge of the pool and throw them fish.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,640 Times in 3,287 Posts
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tkn View Post

Motive Forces

It might also pay to check the rating on the hook on the "8,000 LB" (most winch's are LB's not KG's but no biggee) Winch as well then. I suggest the Hook WLL will be 2 tonnes or less indeed, often the Winch Mounting System will be well under the line pull figure as well. Anyone here want to try hanging, say, 10,000 Lbs off their bullbar to prove the Winch wont take it off under full load ?

There is no requirement for motive force to be the lowest denominator because as soon as you introduce any M.A. rig then the calculations no longer apply anyway.

I think I know what you are trying to get at tho... If ALL the equipment has a W.L.L. higher than the motive force then nothing will break as the winch will stall first and there will be no catastrophic failure to injure people... Is that it?

If so you are correct but the problem then becomes one of practicality and necessity... and if it isn't practical and necessary people won't do it because an 8 or even 12 K line pull has buckleys of breaking a 3 or 4 ton shackle.

Anyway I've put forward my point so no need for me to keep yarping.
    Last edited by the evil twin; 11th January 2011 at 06:47 PM.
    Dolphins are so smart that within a few weeks of captivity, they can train people to stand on the very edge of the pool and throw them fish.

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Been away doing a few other things in life.

To further clarify what I say in the "long post" - every SAFE mechanical system must have a working limit (whether it is known as "SWL" or "WWL").

A mechanical system is a combination of components or assemblies that are employed to work together to do work.
    For example, an assembly comprising of a 9000Kg bridle chain or strap connected to a vehicle by 3200Kg bow shackles at each end and a 8000Kg winch strap connected to the bridle chain or strap by a 6000Kg bow shackle and to a 8000Kg tree protector with a 6000Kg bow shackle is a simple mechanical system. If a 6000Kg load is applied to the winch strap (it does not matter how it happens) each of the bow shackles to the vehicle will be loaded to about 3000Kg, the bridle strap or chain will be loaded to 6000Kg, 6000Kg load to the bow shackles either end of the winch strap, 6000Kg to the winch strap, 6000Kg to the tree protector and 6000Kg to the tree - the tree has become a part of the mechanical system.
    The system described in the example is what I would call a "balanced system" i.e. the load on any part of the system is greater than 6000Kg - the known maximum load that can be applied to that system by the winch you are using (for example).
    If the bow shackles at the ends of the winch strap are rated to 4500Kg, the example system would be "unblanced" i.e. a 6000Kg load would exceed the load the (example) winch could apply to the system.
    An unbalanced system is unsafe.

You might say that a 4500Kg bow shackle has a safety factor of 600%, so that a load of 6000Kg would merely reduce that safety factor to say 300%.
    Unfortunately, physical forces do not work in that way, the safety factor might be reduced to 200%.
    Now, say the vehicle slips during recovery and there is a "bounce" in the winch strap, it is possible that the "bounce" will create a instantaneous load of say 7000Kg - the safety factor would be reduced to about 45% (at best) and that would be an unsafe system.

From MudrunnerDT's figures and others, I think it can be accepted that loads on a recovery kit (read "mechanical system") may easily exceed 6000Kg and the load may sometimes be double that if the vehicle being recovery (as deadweight or being driven) slips or jumps during the recovery process.

Rating of products is usually with a constant load, which involves completely different stresses and strains to the dynamics of a vehicle recovery.
    For that reason I tend not to increase any "rating" beyond the WWL (of a bow shackle, for example).
    Similarly, straight line pull tests of snatch straps are a bit of nonsense in my view. The only way to truly test a snatch strap is to simulate the peak loads of an actual recovery.
    In addition, it is generally acknowledged that the performance capabilities of snatch straps change after each use, including a progressive loss of their elasticity.
    In short, a snatch strap is not a ratable product - its performance is always changing.

A 9000Kg bow shackle might seem at first to be excessive, but I look at it in three ways -

1. The extra weight is not significant.
    2. The extra expense of the purchase is not huge.
    3. I want to be alive at the end of the day and I do not want to kill or injure anyone.

The recovery kit you choose ought be determined by the total load your winch can apply to any mechanical system you can assemble using that kit as the WWL of that system.
    Cost and weight are irrelevant - safety rules.

Just a word on "helping" others who do not have the appropriate kit.
    The law of negligence arrives here and will hold you liable for all of your actions (however well intended) and the safety of your equipment.
    It is one of the maxims of equity that the law does not assist a volunteer.

Just a parting thought. I keep simple line drawings of different double and triple pull systems along with my recovery gear - partly to stop me making a simple mistake and partly to help me not to miss the obvious.

The working limit of any mechanical system is the

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,443 Times in 1,007 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What can I say except..... What a mind blowing read & totally agreed.

I like your idea of the simple drawings as well. Bloody good thinking on your part & even better advice for us.

TOP EFFORT

Cheers
    Paul

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just one adjustment i would make to my earlier post today - I don't know what "WWL" is?

Anyway, what it should have said is "WLL" (third line) = Working Load Limit,
    and then "For that reason I tend not to increase any "rating" beyond the WLL (of a bow shackle, for example)."

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I must say that this thread has confirmed verything I was thinking when I decided to purchase my equipment. I have ordered a 12000lb TJM ox winch with the Heavy duty recovery kit, the kit includes the following:
    HEAVY DUTY RECOVERY KIT

11,000kg snatch strap 75mm x 9m.
    6,000kg winch extension strap.
    10,000kg tree trunk protector 75mm x 3m.
    8,000kg snatch block.
    19mm bow shackles x2.
    16mm bow shackles x2.
    Heavy duty leather gloves.
    Recovery blanket.
    Cheers Mick

Everyone makes mistakes, the trick is to make them when no-one is looking.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,206 Times in 1,474 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by molongmick View Post
    I must say that this thread has confirmed verything I was thinking when I decided to purchase my equipment. I have ordered a 12000lb TJM ox winch with the Heavy duty recovery kit, the kit includes the following:
    HEAVY DUTY RECOVERY KIT

11,000kg snatch strap 75mm x 9m.
    6,000kg winch extension strap.
    10,000kg tree trunk protector 75mm x 3m.
    8,000kg snatch block.
    19mm bow shackles x2.
    16mm bow shackles x2.
    Heavy duty leather gloves.
    Recovery blanket.
    That's the go!! Good gear!!

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast