Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Must Have Basic 4x4 Recovery Kit

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    last months 4WD magazine destruction tested and recommended the TJM OX HD kit ($345) or Terrain Tamer $346 (another winner was $100 more). Can't find either on the net, anywhere near that price! Can anyone else find them?
    1981 Nissan Patrol MQ SWB, 3.3TD, West Melbourne.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The post by MudrunnerDT's post - Recovery - The Fundamentals gives a fair idea that 9000Kg may not be extraordinary in some circumstances.
    I don't know how MudrunnerDT calculated his figures, but they do not appear to be unreasonable.
    My choice is no snatch strap - too dangerous!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,235 Times in 992 Posts
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    IMHO snatchies are dangerous but if used correctly and maintained correctly they are fine. If you are still uncomfortable using one install a cargo barrier or the sorts
    In the words of a Dhuck "QUACK".

Thanks
    Thanked 2,206 Times in 1,474 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yep - snatch straps themselves (as we all know of late) are not the actual issue in most cases - it's the recovery points themselves that fail and they get just as little attention as the strap (how many people out there wash their straps down after each major use, allow to dry fully extended and then roll up again as per manufacturers recommendations?? not many I bet, they just keep getting used till something fails generally) ... that said (as you know dhuck after the other week) I am reluctant to get the snatch strap out without dire need, but rated recovery points, which I am getting on the back ASAP, cargo barriers to stop/slow projectiles that may penetrate the back window (not much good from the front though of course), etc, etc are all 'good measures' that can be taken ...

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have to disagree with the idea that a cargo barrier will stop a 200kph shackle.
    They are simply not designed for that.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tkn View Post
    Have to disagree with the idea that a cargo barrier will stop a 200kph shackle.
    They are simply not designed for that.
    You're absolutely correct, but personally I'd rather one be there than not ... even if it took 20 klms off the projectile, it could be the difference between life and death .. that all said, I hope I (and all of you out there) never have to find out if that's the case ... that all said, I still revert back to PROPER rated recovery points ...

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I reckon, by the time you have the dampner slowing down strap and shackle etc, the the rear window and next the barrier, you should only end up with concussion.
    Getting Older Is Unavoidable, Growing Up Is Optional!

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have pulled out a few other fourbies in the past and about 90 percent of the time I had to use mine because they do not have their own, I don't mind bringing it out but the thing that really gets me is that they are travelling alone and not equip with proper recovery gear, it goes to show that just even having a snatch strap could make a difference.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Patrica View Post
    I have pulled out a few other fourbies in the past and about 90 percent of the time I had to use mine because they do not have their own, I don't mind bringing it out but the thing that really gets me is that they are travelling alone and not equip with proper recovery gear, it goes to show that just even having a snatch strap could make a difference.
    Here here!!! I am beyond surprise now and have moved into the frustration zone with the amount of (sorry to say it, but especially YOUNG) people out and about trying stuff - which in itself is great to see - without any recovery gear ... had one young bloke out on a trip in his mum and dads brand new landcruiser about 4 months ago - let me set the scene ... about 20 years old, has young girlfriend in the front passenger seat, has 40 psi in the All Terrain tyres that come standard with the Toys', had a big pair of those "Tom Cruise - Top Gun" sunglasses on, and was having a lash at an uphill climb that I barely made it up - got stuck about half way up and then proceeds to turn the wheel (I kid you not) to a full right lock thinking he should turn around!!!! After a few expletives from my mate and myself, telling him to put it in reverse (and 4 low as it turns out), straighten the wheel and walk back down, he then proceeds to take the chicken track around it ... no drama with that, get to the top, politely (seriously) inform him of some basics, and then he goes onto say he hasn't got a clue if "mum and dad have any gear in the car" ... our conversation ended at that point, I wished him well, told his girlfriend to put her helmet on, and left it at that ... you reckon mum and dad knew he had the car out there in the first place??? I doubt it ...

Thanks
    Thanked 4,447 Times in 2,546 Posts
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A lot of this problem is in 4x4 mags and dvd,s that a lot of young bucks reckon they can do these things on there own,jump into mum or dads 4by and head for the nearest bog
    was up the bush one time and come across a couple stuck in a hole with mud and crap around them,asked him why he was in there as there was a perfectly good and solid track beside them
    the answer,wanted to see what it could do in the mud,?????????dumb arse,wanted to just drive of and leave them in there,but being a true ausi we helped them out with a warning not to do that again as they cuold be stranded for days if we hadnt come along.DO NOT ATTEMPED THIS WITH OUT RECOVERY GEAR OR TAVELING IN A GROUP,printed on the covers

roofy

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Sir Roofy For This Useful Post:

threedogs (3rd February 2015)

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast