User Tag List

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Must Have Basic 4x4 Recovery Kit

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just picked up a decent kit on sale for $199. It's a warn kit with a bunch of goodies including the pulley block, tree protector, tow strap, snatch strap, shackles, bag, gloves, etc... They are on sale at Autobarn at the moment, they also had a basic kit for $99, i don't see why you would go without one when they are that cheap. Also, i assumes that warn wouldn't put their name on crap so yeah, correct me if i'm wrong

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 12,754 Times in 7,160 Posts
    Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BubbaChang View Post
    Cause I've been reading and everyone says don't share effectively get ur own recovery gear
    Most people don't mind sharing, but if something breaks while recovering you, the right thing to do is pay for a replacement......... I've been picking up my stuff bit at a time, snatch strap, bridle, tow strap, reece hitch attatcment and 4.7t shackles

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Recovery kit without recovery points seems useless!!

Awesome read! Just one point ... my Y60 has tie-down points at the front end only, so any recovery gear seems to be useless (unless we sling it underneath on the chassis)!!

Living in Port Hedland I find it is incredibly hard!! So far two options presnt themselves to me, make 'em my self out of 10mm plate steel or buy them online from Maquarie 4x4 Centre (http://www.macquarie4x4.com.au/index...ry%20Equipment). Does anyone have any alternatives??

cheers
    C

Thanks
    Thanked 12,951 Times in 6,827 Posts
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CoGRedeMptioN View Post
    Awesome read! Just one point ... my Y60 has tie-down points at the front end only, so any recovery gear seems to be useless (unless we sling it underneath on the chassis)!!

Living in Port Hedland I find it is incredibly hard!! So far two options presnt themselves to me, make 'em my self out of 10mm plate steel or buy them online from Maquarie 4x4 Centre (http://www.macquarie4x4.com.au/index...ry%20Equipment). Does anyone have any alternatives??

cheers
    C
    Id be buying them mate, at least you know youve got a rated recovery point, but if your good at fab work and know what youre doing........ well have a crack

IF YA DONT GET STUCK YA AINT TRYIN HARD ENOUGH........OR YA TOOK THE CHICKEN TRACK

WARNING: TOWBALLS USED WITH SNATCHSTRAPS DO KILL!!

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you. Sorry for what may seem a stupid question, but what do you store it all in? Bag or box?

Patrol God
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,110 Times in 3,143 Posts
    Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ceason View Post
    Thank you. Sorry for what may seem a stupid question, but what do you store it all in? Bag or box?
    A lot of "kits" come in their own bag. For example the ARB pictured below. Even if you get bits and pieces seperately, a recovery "bag" can be bought on it's on.
    And then a lot of people store their gear neatly in the rear draws as well. Also pictured.

Edit: ** Not affiliated with below pictured brands at all. I just randomly plucked pics of google to show as examples.
    2005 TD42TI

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you for the must haves.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The other thing to remember when buying snatch straps is to not go too big. That's because if the strap is too heavy it will not extend/stretch as much as it should and will transfer a lot of the shock load into the recovery points. When the straps are the correct rating they will extend at the correct rate and in effect absorb some of that shock load from the moving car.

The general rule of thumb is that the rating of the snatch strap should be 2.5 x the weight of the lightest vehicle involved in the recovery. For our Patrols the 8000kg strap would be the optimum weight. This is another reason to bring your own snatch strap. For example, imagine trying to recover a much lighter vehicle (e.g. any Suzuki) using a snatch strap rated for a Patrol. It would not extend and probably start breaking things off the car. If they had their own 4000kg strap then there would be no problems as it would work for their car.
    Last edited by Rock Trol; 2nd February 2015 at 09:49 PM.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rock Trol For This Useful Post:

SiberianPatrol (21st August 2015), Winnie (2nd February 2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,963 Times in 7,394 Posts
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by growler2058 View Post
    Id be buying them mate, at least you know youve got a rated recovery point, but if your good at fab work and know what youre doing........ well have a crack
    I wouldn't recommend making your own there is a bit more in it than just cutting out a shape and bolting it somewhere'
    @ growler not having a dig just saying , as its inviting backyard mistakes IMO.
    I believe I have the only NATA tested front and rear recovery points in Aust.
    any others you see the same shape are just copies and not rated.
    One thing not mentioned in this thread is a decent compressor, a must for any 4x4 outing,
    I would avoid the ones with a thermal cut out, for under bonnet installation

another old thread dragged up.

You could buy an ammo box and use that as a dedicated recovery box,
    that way every thing is in one place
    Last edited by threedogs; 3rd February 2015 at 10:13 AM.
    04 ST 3lt auto, not enough Mods to keep me happy, but getting there

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to threedogs For This Useful Post:

BigRAWesty (3rd February 2015), Majestic (20th February 2015), outback (8th February 2015)

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi, my first post.

A lot of good info here and thanks to the contributors.

Just upgraded / retrograded from a 2012 Navara to a 2009 Patrol.

I've always carried (rated) recovery gear in my Navara after going for my my first (solo) run from Tim's Thicket to Preston Beach WA. All I had on that run was "thankfully" a shovel and it came in verrry handy, which I'd thrown in as an off chance!

I'd point anyone's attention to the simple diagrams that riggers use for slinging in regard to recovery straps (strops), the various ways that they are connected e.g. single, double/basket. choked etc significantly vary the rated load capacity of ANY sling. These diagrams/leaflets are readily available online.

I also would advise that everybody does need to do themselves a favour and buy their own recovery gear, minimum I believe is rated shackles x 2, a recovery hitch (Reese style) and a rated strop/sling and probably a snatch strap also.

Please be aware of the need to add a dampener e.g. blanket/coat/sack to any line under tension which has the capacity to have you in the line of fire.

Enjoy and stay safe.,

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast