Thread: Must Have Basic 4x4 Recovery Kit

Thanks
    Thanked 20,715 Times in 8,559 Posts
    Mentioned
    579 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Must Have Basic 4x4 Recovery Kit

Everyone who ventures off road should have a Basic Kit in their vehicle consisting of: snatch strap, rated shackles, map, uhf radio & first aid kit.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to AB For This Useful Post:

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

ilikedonuts_10
    Hi mate was just wondering what the best snatch strap would be for a budget?

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The correct rated one, safety has no budget.
    Getting Older Is Unavoidable, Growing Up Is Optional!

Legendary
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,137 Times in 1,001 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Finly Owner View Post
    The correct rated one, safety has no budget.
    Exactly right Tim. Saving $20 on a snatch strap will be insignificant if it fails and someone gets injured or killed. Recovering a stuck vehicle is dangerous, ALL recovery gear gear must be good quality with the correct ratings to do the job.

Tony

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This might not be what you had in mind when starting the thread, but it might be a help.

Seems that “spot the dummy” is popular. But what is a safe standard recovery “system” ?

I’ll jump in the deep end and put up what I think is a (general) minimum and others can pull it apart, add to it, etc. so the result might be a safe and practical (not perfect) system –

1. Two 4.5T rated recovery points.
    2. Each end of a 9T rated bridle chain or strap is fastened to a recovery point with a 4.5T rated shackle.
    3. One end of a 9T rated strap (say 10 metres long) is fastened to the bridle strap or chain with a 9T rated shackle.
    4. The other end of the 9T rated strap is fastened to a rated 9T synthetic winch cable with a 9T rated shackle.
    5. The winch cable passes through a 9T rated snatch block that is fastened to both ends of 9T rated tree protector with a 9T rated shackle.
    6. A “winch blanket” hangs on the winch cable and another “winch blanket” hangs on the 9T rated strap.

That system would not take a lot of time to set up and would offer safe working for a majority of recoveries.
    Why 9T ratings? Covers difficult and easy recoveries – huge generalisation I know, but had to start somewhere. If 9T is too high – a possibility is to work to 4.5T total load for the system.
    The 9T potential load is split between the winch (say 4.5T) and the recovery points (say 2.25T each) – all you need then is a tree or another vehicle (harnessed to a tree) to withstand the 9T that may be applied to the tree protector.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to tkn For This Useful Post:

DX grunt (7th January 2011)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,835 Times in 2,012 Posts
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks everybody for the info. I was going to ask the same question about this stuff. I've got it all, but don't know if its right.
    I definately know my recovery points are up to speed, but need to go through the rest.

I'm going on a beach holiday in about 5 weeks, so it's very appropriate. Thanks again.

Take care out there.

Ross
    DX grunt
    Winner of 'Best 4 x 4 ' at the 2017 Albany Agricultural Society Inc - Town n Country Ute Muster.

Ex Telstra - 2005, 4.2 TDi ute -with pod and more fruit than a grocery shop.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,640 Times in 3,287 Posts
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tkn View Post
    This might not be what you had in mind when starting the thread, but it might be a help.

Seems that “spot the dummy” is popular. But what is a safe standard recovery “system” ?

I’ll jump in the deep end and put up what I think is a (general) minimum and others can pull it apart, add to it, etc. so the result might be a safe and practical (not perfect) system –

1. Two 4.5T rated recovery points.
    2. Each end of a 9T rated bridle chain or strap is fastened to a recovery point with a 4.5T rated shackle.
    3. One end of a 9T rated strap (say 10 metres long) is fastened to the bridle strap or chain with a 9T rated shackle.
    4. The other end of the 9T rated strap is fastened to a rated 9T synthetic winch cable with a 9T rated shackle.
    5. The winch cable passes through a 9T rated snatch block that is fastened to both ends of 9T rated tree protector with a 9T rated shackle.
    6. A “winch blanket” hangs on the winch cable and another “winch blanket” hangs on the 9T rated strap.

That system would not take a lot of time to set up and would offer safe working for a majority of recoveries.
    Why 9T ratings? Covers difficult and easy recoveries – huge generalisation I know, but had to start somewhere. If 9T is too high – a possibility is to work to 4.5T total load for the system.
    The 9T potential load is split between the winch (say 4.5T) and the recovery points (say 2.25T each) – all you need then is a tree or another vehicle (harnessed to a tree) to withstand the 9T that may be applied to the tree protector.
    9 Tonnes... Holy Cow, what are you planning on recovering... road trains.

The size of a 9 tonne rated shackle alone makes them almost prohibitive to carry in a Patrol. 4.2's are plenty big enough and a 9 ton snatch block allows doubling the pull

Given that most winches are 8 to 11 thousand pound (4 to 5 ton ballpark), Patrol size vehicle snatch straps are technically supposed to be no more than 8,000 Kg breaking load and Bridles, Extension straps are up to 4,500 Kg... 9 Ton equipment all through is waaay too much IMHO.

Rigged correctly for recovery you can easily get in excess of 9 tonnes pull with Patrol size gear using blocks, shackles, straps and a winch of 'standard' size such as a Warn XD900 or Tiger 12,000
    Last edited by the evil twin; 7th January 2011 at 02:06 PM.
    Dolphins are so smart that within a few weeks of captivity, they can train people to stand on the very edge of the pool and throw them fish.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,835 Times in 2,012 Posts
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Found this website. Don't know the company and have never dealt with them before.

There's a lot of good info and food for thought.

http://www.nobles.com.au/media/28543...e_recovery.pdf

http://www.nobles.com.au/
    Last edited by DX grunt; 7th January 2011 at 12:58 PM.
    Winner of 'Best 4 x 4 ' at the 2017 Albany Agricultural Society Inc - Town n Country Ute Muster.

Ex Telstra - 2005, 4.2 TDi ute -with pod and more fruit than a grocery shop.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DX grunt View Post
    Found this website. Don't know the company and have never dealt with them before.

There's a lot of good info and food for thought.

http://www.nobles.com.au/media/28543...e_recovery.pdf

http://www.nobles.com.au/
    Yeah, good mob, never had any issues with them... I think BHP lifting bought 'em out a while back but either way still good to deal with.
    Dolphins are so smart that within a few weeks of captivity, they can train people to stand on the very edge of the pool and throw them fish.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    In reply to AB...

I consider the following as basic recovery gear.

1 Snatch strap (8,000 KG )
    1 Bridle (4,500 KG)
    2 Bow Shackles (rated min 3.7 but 4.2 preferred)
    1 Drag Chain
    1 pr Gloves (drag chains can pinch like a bitch)

...if your vehicle has a winch add

1 standard tree trunk protector (12,000 KG)
    1 standard winch extension strap (4,500Kg) or rope (equiv or better than winch pull rating so around 4,500Kg min)
    1 snatch block (9,000 KG)
    2 more shackles for rigging the block etc

IF I am solo vehicle I personally carry more than that in the form of another extension, 2 Blocks instead of 1 and extra shackles but IMHO the above is what qualifies as a "basic" kit. The extra's are so I can use a redirection as well as a pull because you don't have the luxury of positioning another vehicle in just the right spot and Murphy (the mongrel) will surely have killed off the only suitable tree for a straight pull.

14. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to the evil twin For This Useful Post:

AB (10th January 2011), DX grunt (7th January 2011), GUtsy ute (15th April 2011), Majestic (20th February 2015), Sir Roofy (8th January 2011), Tobes (3rd May 2012)

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast