Thread: 1994 4.2l diesel

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1994 4.2l diesel

Hi guys

Still looking at my first patrol I was going to get a gu for a daily driver but me and the mrs can't agree so I'm now looking at a 94 4.2l diesel in amazing condition. It has 420k on the clock for $10 grand. Is this a fair price as I can't find many 4.2 diesels for sale at all. To me this truck would be much better off road and a good weekend tourer????? What do you professionals think?

Cheers

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 13,507 Times in 6,602 Posts
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    It's got a few kms on it. Not outrageous though bud by any measure. $10k it would want to already have. turbo fitted and at least a decent lift kit, front bar, maybe a winch and decent tyres.

If it's a blank canvass with no mods then I reckon that's top dollar mate.

At 420,000kms I'd want a compression test just to be sure too so you can confidently fit that Turbo you want too.
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Personally I think the price is a tad on the high side. It would want to be in outstanding condition, with a few extras in the mix as well. Like MudRunner has said, get a compression test to see what sort of condition the motor is in, and take it from there.

As far as offroading goes, I'd put it on par with the GU. Might have more fun in the GQ though because you might not worry so much about a scratch and dent here and there. In saying that though, if it's MINT condition, maybe you would worry a bit. I've got both a GU and GQ, and I'd admit I do have more fun in the GQ. Only because it's a thrash pig and doesn't affect me if I break something on the weekend.

End of the day it comes back to what you think the car is worth, and if you're happy paying that amount.

Cheers

edit - speeeling.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to mattsgu For This Useful Post:

Swazi (30th September 2013)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As I thought I been looking so much as of late and found another. This one is a 03 42td ute with 330k on the clock for 17k it has winch and full work body tray drawers racks etc. this would be a great canvas for me to start my camper/tourer beast I reckon. Question is are the km high? I heard these 4.2s are just running in round there lol.
    I appreciate all your guys input it's being taken on board greatly

Thanks

Thanks
    Thanked 1,326 Times in 805 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    lots of 4.2 diesels run for over 500000km without a hitch but they are well maintained and serviced regularly, can i ask what your budget is and what kind of vehicle you are looking for if its long distance the utes can be uncomfortable i know i own one where as the wagons have a bit more room to move.

my advice would be to keep looking and test driving you will know the vehicle when it grabs you by the short and curlies. i have a year before i upgrade to a wagon but i am looking now and keeping an eye out on prices and km of vehicles coming through because a good patrol will last you a lifetime not just the term of a loan

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cheers mate

My budget has now gone down to $20k
    Which I think is fine as I will be using it for exploring and camping 99% of the time. I have been looking for a while now and just want to get into it lol. This ute has already got 50% of the mods I was wanting to do. I agree that there is a line where do you want a ute for the increased weight carting ability a bit more versatile or a comfy roomy wagon. So many choices so much exploring to do

Thanks
    Thanked 1,326 Times in 805 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    have a look at Cuppa's and DX Grunts build threads and other build threads and you will see what can be done with the pods and what needs to be improved on them and get the vehicle which is you not the one which is right now

happy hunting

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We'll I went the 03 ute and very happy with it let the build begin!!!!
    Thanks for everyone's advice

11. The Following User Says Thank You to First Patrol For This Useful Post:

Stropp (11th October 2013)

Patrol Guru
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I paid 8 k for my GQ TB42 - drive away

Yes I could have got a nice tb for 5 k - but the ball & chain wanted it to be fully on the road.

10 k for the diesel would be ok if it was drive away and in good condition - fully on the road. Not having any of the goodies on it would also be an issue as they can cost a few K (bar, winch, Tyres, sliders rack etc)

When I was looking I did not see any diesels (drive away) for under 10k. I have heard of guy getting trucks for a lot less though.
    1991 GQ LWB 4.2 Carby dual fuel, 32 mud claws, 2 inch lift, LSD's front and back

And its Toooooooo High for the Ball & chain

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would ask for a service history make sure its had its oils changed every 5000kms and injectors every 100000kms, compression test is a great idea as it will let you know where your at with 420000kms on the clock. Also have a good look underneath for oil leaks.