Thread: killed my electrics with reverse polarity

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

killed my electrics with reverse polarity

I picked up a 94 gq ute today and I'm about to start cleaning it up a bit.
    But i did possibly the stupidest thing I've ever done this morning, I put the battery in backwards and hit the key(been smashing my head against a brick wall all day for being such a dumbass) I realized within 20 seconds and swapped it round to how it should be and now it continuously blows the engine control fuse every time the keys turned to on(sometimes takes about 3 seconds to pop otherwise instantly)and just clicks up in the relay box on drivers inner fender...

I noticed that there was a starter solenoid inside this panel and tried the old trick of shorting it out and it does nothing... I'm away from the vehicle for the next few days so I'm just trying to gather information on where to start or if someone knows what i killed even better.

Oh also i need to try fix this without my brother finding out cause he will spit the dummy as dad was a mechanical engineer and I've been round engines since i can remember(laugh if he sees this)

Thanks in advance for any help and ill see ya'll round the forums.

Cheers Mark
    Last edited by liljohn_92; 26th September 2013 at 08:48 PM.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,546 Times in 1,116 Posts
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Hi Mark, welcome to the forum.

Do you have a petrol or diesel engine?

Banned
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I'm guessing you have a diesel engine...

You more then likely have blown up the glow plug control module, this will be why the engine control fuse is blowing. You can find the glow plug module mounted behind the driver side kick panel (near the accelerator pedal). Unplug the control module and see if the fuse still blows.

The no start is more then likely a blown main fusible link, in the fusebox out near the battery.

There is also a chance you may have damaged the alternator. You will need to get the vehicle running first and then check if the alternator is charging.

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Yendor For This Useful Post:

AB (27th September 2013), liljohn_92 (27th September 2013), rusty_nail (27th September 2013)

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your spot on YENDOR i have a diesel td42 N/A sorry i left that info out, If the glow control module is blown would i be able to just rig up a monetary switch to the glows and manually glow them for now? Would most auto parts stores have the fusable 65amp link.Thanks

Sent from another Galaxy.

Banned
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Yes if the glow plug module is causing the smaller fuse to blow it can be bypass.

Check out post 18 in this thread

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forum...it-Issue/page2

I think Narva still supply the fusible links, so you should be able to purchase one from places like Ashdowns or Repco

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Yendor For This Useful Post:

liljohn_92 (27th September 2013)

Thanks
    Thanked 13,507 Times in 6,602 Posts
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    As awlays your a good man Rodney. Appreciate your participation here mate. Very generous with your advice bud.

Cheers MR
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Thanks
    Thanked 20,772 Times in 8,582 Posts
    Mentioned
    581 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    When I blew my main fusible link I found it to be a nightmare trying to find one = http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forum...ght=fuse+repco

I ended up going to Patrolapart or a wreckers to get one in the end. Have a good ring around at the different stores mate as they don't regularly stock them. Well not in my area anyway.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to AB For This Useful Post:

liljohn_92 (27th September 2013)

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks guys i really apprecciate the help, I need to order a waterpump and I'm going to get a genuine one off patrolapart so ill just order the fusable link and a couple other bits at the same time.

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Disconnected the blue box next to my fuse board which i believe is the glow timer as its made by NGK and now it stopped blowing the 15A fuse, I have to move it tomorrow so ill just botch the old fuse up with a bit of wire and hopefully she breathes life once again.. I ordered the new 65A accompanied by a waterpump and shifter bushes but i wont see them till atleast friday(3 days from vic to byron bay is pretty damn good but) so hopefully the problems sorted, thanks again guys your a helpful bunch around here.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to liljohn_92 For This Useful Post:

Drewboyaus (1st October 2013)

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Legend thanks for this info mate.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast