Thread: Supa's super camper

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi all
    It’s been a while since I reported in on my build I am just not getting the spare time at the moment to work on this project and it’s really giving me the sh&@ts

Anyway sorry for not replying earlier Cuppa, thanks for the heads up about the gas, I will probably go down the bayonet fitting path which should be OK. The stove wont be secured and the gas bottles will be held in the officially approved gas bottle storage area under the pod that came with the truck, I will have 2 *2 litre bottles.

Have made some progress albeit not a great deal.

The drawers are complete and have carpeted the top, I wont bother carpeting anywhere else whilst it looks good it just more weight, I have however sprayed all the expose wood with 3 coats of polyurethane. This has come up great and it’s a pretty tough finish

This side shows where the kitchen and fridge will be. Fridge with a drop down slide on the left and stove on the right, cooking gear in the centre.

This shows how the stove and fold out bench space will work. To the left of the stove will be a drawer with utensils etc and the table top folds out.

A few more pics of how it was put together.

My Custom Water tank arrived from Brisbane and It’s a cracker. I was looking at the boab tanks and none fit perfectly so I enquired about getting one made and it turned out to be pretty reasonably priced and it fits the spot perfectly. When complete this section will be covered with lift of ply hatches that is carpeted to match the rest of the drawer unit

This is the filler that I mounted to the pod. Went it easily enough.

The pump is still a work in progress but you can see the fold down faucet I will be using.

I have also started work on some of the electrics

I will use a deep cycle in the back purely for the fridge charged of the Redarc BCDC 1225. Also have a semi deep cycle as the second battery under the bonnet for lights and other accessories and as backup for starting if needed.

That's all for now Cheers

Supa

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Supa For This Useful Post:

DX grunt (17th April 2014), GUtsy ute (16th November 2013), Stropp (14th November 2013)

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 7,431 Times in 3,005 Posts
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looking good Supa, obvious a deal of thought going into this.

2006 4.2TDi ex-Telstra Remote area Camper. 425w roof mounted solar, 360Ah Aux batts, BCDC1240, Onboard hot & cold pressurised & filtered water, (25 litre hot water calorifier), ARB fridge, ARB freezer, Built in kitchen, heaps of easy access storage, 240v, 3” Genie exhaust + dynotune, 2” lift, 3900kg GVM upgrade, second glovebox, ROH Blaktrak steel wheels, Bridgestone D697's (now Toyo RT's), Redarc gauges/pillarpod, Hema HX-1, Icom 450 CB, dual rear view cameras, Onboard 30amp Victron mains charger, second glovebox, dual seat conversion, TPMS, Boss PX7 onboard air with 9 litre tank, 350w inverter, Steel bullbar, Harrop Eaton diff lock (front), Warn winch, Snorkel, Dual spares , 160 litre water tank, 180 litre fuel in two tanks (approx 1200km range) 2010 Tvan Tanami. (incl another 70 litre water tank) with matching wheels/tyres (& 3rd spare)
    A Nomadic Life (Blog)

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This looks really good.

I'm going to stick with a canvas canopy, but want to incorporate some storage drawers and fridge slides etc. So this has been some great inspiration.

I really like the flip over worktop that folds over the cooker.

Cheers
    Andy

2001 GU DX TD42T Extra Cab Ute.
    http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forum...Andy-s-New-Ute

Thanks
    Thanked 9,963 Times in 7,394 Posts
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    That water tank is great do you have a link or name of supplier?
    a few LED strip lights on a dimmer or similar will sort your lighting out.
    Looking good , I, like you, like to get changed standing up, cant see point of those roof top jobs,
    and I don't drink. Those 30 second tents are great only downside is pack too long , but prices for them
    are coming down, I take it you're sticking with the split rims.?
    coming along nicely, perfect set up for two
    04 ST 3lt auto, not enough Mods to keep me happy, but getting there

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the feedback everyone,

The tank is from Award Tanks they are in Queensland somewhere but shipping to Sydney was only about $30. They were a good mob to deal with.

Led strip lights are already on their way.

As for the split rims they will go, I have six BF Goodridge AT 285/75s on 16 inch rims to put on but I will need to modify the spare wheel carries and I also want to put some flares on the front so it’s a job that can wait for now.

RE. The flip over worktop, originally I was going to have the cooker on the top level and a drawer or slide out work top under it but I had to keep the cooker as low as possible so the head chef can reach it comfortably, these pods are high.

Had a relatively free weekend this weekend, first time in a LOOOONG time so had plenty of plans to work on the pod unfortunately the weather wasn't going to let that happen, I cant fit my truck into the garage (it's too high) so the constant rain all weekend was a pain, we needed it so shouldn't complain.

Still managed a few little jobs. I managed to poke the nose of the car into the garage enough to get my spotties mounted and hooked up, nothing special just a set of Narva Ultima 175s.
    Supposed to be a simple job, I've done it before so no big deal or so I thought. Whilst I was working with lights I thought I would have a look at how the Daytime running lights were setup, I have read of a few problems that these ex Telstra trucks that have with these units.

I started by taking the electrical tape of the main connecter that went to the unit and first thing that happened is one of the wires basically fell out of the back of the plug, it was hardly crimped at all. As I took of more tape I found this.

I couldn’t be bothered fixing it so I decided to pull the whole thing out. I am not one to just cut the cable and tape things up so I started tracing all the wires to pull the system out properly. What a pain in the ass that turned out to be. Anyway it’s all out now and I eventually got the spotties in and working.
    I bought three small digital voltage meters from ebay for a few dollars each to monitor my batteries given I had a bit of time to spare I made up a housing for them using a small laser cutter I have access to. I came out OK and will do the job nicely. They are all within .01 of a volt of my Fluke multimeter so pretty pleased for the price.

On A final note,
    I have an old set of drawers that I originally built for my Pajero back in 93 and then used in my GU wagon up until this year. I have no further use for the unit and it’s free to a good home if someone wants it. I’m in Castle Hill in Sydney. It’s not pretty but it’s had a tough life and is still going strong so don’t really want to toss it.
    Send me a message if interested.

I will advertise it elsewhere once I find the right spot on the forum.

Cheers

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Supa For This Useful Post:

Cuppa (17th November 2013), GUtsy ute (17th November 2013), threedogs (17th November 2013)

Thanks
    Thanked 7,431 Times in 3,005 Posts
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yep, Mick at Award tanks is one of the good guys & fair bit cheaper than his competitors (he taught the bloke at Atlas Tanks the trade I believe). Anyone wanting a tank should consider Award Tanks, cost of a custom built tank was very little more than a similar sized standard one. Quality is good too. No connection other than being a very satisfied customer.

2006 4.2TDi ex-Telstra Remote area Camper. 425w roof mounted solar, 360Ah Aux batts, BCDC1240, Onboard hot & cold pressurised & filtered water, (25 litre hot water calorifier), ARB fridge, ARB freezer, Built in kitchen, heaps of easy access storage, 240v, 3” Genie exhaust + dynotune, 2” lift, 3900kg GVM upgrade, second glovebox, ROH Blaktrak steel wheels, Bridgestone D697's (now Toyo RT's), Redarc gauges/pillarpod, Hema HX-1, Icom 450 CB, dual rear view cameras, Onboard 30amp Victron mains charger, second glovebox, dual seat conversion, TPMS, Boss PX7 onboard air with 9 litre tank, 350w inverter, Steel bullbar, Harrop Eaton diff lock (front), Warn winch, Snorkel, Dual spares , 160 litre water tank, 180 litre fuel in two tanks (approx 1200km range) 2010 Tvan Tanami. (incl another 70 litre water tank) with matching wheels/tyres (& 3rd spare)
    A Nomadic Life (Blog)

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi All
    It’s been a long time since I have had a chance to report on my build.

Needless to say progress is slow as work commitment have changed this year and finding time is proving challenging.

However I have been able to make a few additions so though I would document them.

Firstly I have managed to fit the wider wheels and tyres that I had. Took a bit of modification to the spare wheel carrier but nothing too dramatic. Fitted some 35mm rubber flares to the front that worked out well.

Added a snorkel and awning as well. I have fitted snorkels to my two previous cars but this time got the work done by ARB, time is money at the moment.

Inside I have fitted an outback roof console which looks great and will do the trick nicely. I had planned to build my own but time wasn’t going to allow that unfortunately

The audio from the radio was not very good so I added a small speaker inside the console. There is a section in console that looks like it was made for a speaker. I hot glued the speaker in place, not pretty but it won’t be seen and this stuff is quick and holds very well in this sort of application

I have added a Auxiliary power distribution system. This runs of the second battery and runs all my accessories. It is connected via a relay that is triggered by the cigarette lighter so comes on when the ignition is on the accessories position. It is easy to get to and makes adding extra things easy to do. The board is simply velcroed in place.

I have managed to build a centre console. I will get it upholstered as soon as I can find someone in my area who can do it. It turned out quite nicely so want to make sure I find a decent upholsterer.

Also mounted my Android table on the dash using a very nice Exomount brand mount. I used this with Torque software for OBD monitoring and also with Oziexplorer for android which I really like.

Last edited by Supa; 17th April 2014 at 04:34 PM.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Supa For This Useful Post:

threedogs (17th April 2014)

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Continued
    In the back I have added a shelf. Storage system for plastic tubs and my Wifes favourite, the drop down fridge slide.

A bit more electrical work.

Outside I have made a couple of drawers for under the body, they are 12mm ply and seem to do the job well.

Well that’s about all for now.
    Cheers
    Stephen

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Supa For This Useful Post:

cgm (17th April 2014), Cuppa (17th April 2014), growler2058 (17th April 2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,963 Times in 7,394 Posts
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    coming along very nicely , that speaker in the console was probably for an ext speaker for the UHF.
    Well thought out ,very impressed
    04 ST 3lt auto, not enough Mods to keep me happy, but getting there

Thanks
    Thanked 13,517 Times in 6,607 Posts
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Very tidy build there mate. nice work.
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast