Thread: Drop boxes or caster bushes

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Drop boxes or caster bushes

I have found a couple local suspension places able and willing to do me a 4'' lift
    one guy is telling me around 2000 to use caster bushes with his set up and the other high 2s to 3 to use drop boxes they both basically wrote each other off and tried to push there method.not helpful at all when iam unexperienced in this field. Throw you honest opinions at me please as thats why im here to listen to those speaking from experience. Cheers

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Patrol God
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,277 Times in 3,275 Posts
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have castor bushes but am looking at drop boxes as I think they make more sense.. its one thing to have the caster correction done but where it bolts into the chassis is on a greater angle and must wear the bushes there so much quicker??!!

Thanks
    Thanked 13,507 Times in 6,602 Posts
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Drop Boxes for sure. the Nissan Rubber radius arm bushes are great and should be kept at all costs. the caster correction bushes are nowhere near as good.

You can buy Drop Boxes off ebay for $280 and they are a straight bolt in. there should be no more than $150 difference between bushes v drop boxes. ask the cheaper guy for a price if you provide the boxes and i will get you a link to what i use in BOTH Cars.

Here is the link

NISSAN-PATROL-GQ-GU-FORD-MAVERICK-DROP-BOXES-3-6-INCH
    Last edited by MudRunnerTD; 20th September 2013 at 08:52 AM.
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MudRunnerTD For This Useful Post:

Bloodyaussie (20th September 2013), Stropp (20th September 2013)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Caster bushes are a shocking thing really. A cheap remedy to correct your caster angle. The bush is the thinnest where you need it most. They change the centreline angle not ideal from the arm pivot to your diff. The new angle that the suspension has to travel up when hitting a bump isn't ideal and the rear bush takes alot of this shock.

Boxes help keep your arms at the correct angle and you keep your oem bushes at the diff for a more natural movement.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to @GUte For This Useful Post:

PMC (28th January 2014)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with all that drop boxes are the way to go but from memory they are not legal. In QLD anyway. Something to think about when dealing with insurance if the event ever come about.
    1998 GU TI LS1

Thanks
    Thanked 1,525 Times in 887 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bloodyaussie View Post
    I have castor bushes but am looking at drop boxes as I think they make more sense.. its one thing to have the caster correction done but where it bolts into the chassis is on a greater angle and must wear the bushes there so much quicker??!!
    How come you have castor correction bushes? I thought you were only running a 2 inch lift....,,

1997 GQ Patrol RX, TB42E. Mods: OME 2" lift, 33" BFG KM2'S, ARB winch bar & reconditioned X9 Superwinch, IPF 900 spotties HID conversion, ARB side steps and scrub bars, Kaymar rear step & spare wheel carrier & jerry holder, Rear 55W LED worklight, Safari Snorkel, 147L LRA tank, Extended diff breathers, dual batteries, GME UHF, Home built drawer and fridge slide, ARB 60L fridge.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I run a 4 inch lift kit and castor correction bushes, I have no problems. I would love to be running drop boxes but police here are onto them.

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have 4 inch lift and am using superior castor correction plates as provided in the kit... I have done some research and I am changing to superior radius arms... Bushes shag out... Drop boxes are unnecessary... Plates suck ass... Please correct me if I am wrong because I was going the drop boxes until I was recently convinced to change arms... Trucks goin in on wed...

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Drop boxes help keep the natural line of your arms.

These are the ticket -

http://www.superiorengineering.com.a...ducts_id=20309

13. The Following User Says Thank You to @GUte For This Useful Post:

PMC (28th January 2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 13,507 Times in 6,602 Posts
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave n xanths gu View Post
    I have 4 inch lift and am using superior castor correction plates as provided in the kit... I have done some research and I am changing to superior radius arms... Bushes shag out... Drop boxes are unnecessary... Plates suck ass... Please correct me if I am wrong because I was going the drop boxes until I was recently convinced to change arms... Trucks goin in on wed...
    The idea of the drop boxes is to drop the rear mount of the radius arm down to cope with the lift and still retain basically a Level radius arm so on compression it is already at the correct position of its arc of movement. With caster correction bushes the radius arms are pointing down still and on compression the diff actually has to move Forward in the arc as it travels up. This is terrible for bushes, bearings and pretty well everything else too, causes over steer a d can be terrible.

So your options are to retain the functioning factory Radius Arms with genuine rubber bushes, drop the rear mount using drop boxes and happy days. The Only Down side is that the drop boxes hang down and some might suggest that they get hung up on stuff? I am here to tell you I play pretty hard and can't think of a single time that I have been hung up on my drop boxes.

So the other option is manufactured drop arms. Very nice hit of kit indeed. Effectively they are designed to achieve that flat radius arm from the factory mount by increasing the drop of the front half of the arm. Nice but Very expensive. If you have the cash then happy days.

But for what it is worth mate Caster Plates are Junk. There is simply No Comparison between drop Boxes and Caster plates. The flex sideway and are rubbish.

There is nothing wrong with drop boxes. It depends who is selling to you and how much they think they can get you to spend

IMO

Cheers MR
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MudRunnerTD For This Useful Post:

Bloodyaussie (22nd September 2013), mudski (21st September 2013), PMC (28th January 2014)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast