Thread: Clutch slipping on 3.0 2006

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs down Clutch slipping on 3.0 2006

It appears the clutch is slipping on my 2006 GU 3.0 Only have 75,000 k so basically new. Any similar problems/ solutions out there. Replace with heavy duty clutch? what kind?
    Thanks
    GU IV 2006; 3.0 DDi ST-S; Nissan Snorkel, Bull Bar and Tow Bar; Warn 8,000# Winch with Dyneema rope; Auber EGT, Boost and dual Battery gauges; Provent 200; Dual Batteries; Three Dogs recovery points; Rear Springs +20% load; Outback drawers and Cargo Barrier; UHF; [GPS, Radio, CD, Bluetooth, SD, USB] floor extension; Alloy roof rack
    "Smart people know what they don't know"

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Patrol God
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,277 Times in 3,275 Posts
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Many a 3lt has done a clutch at those kind of K's... Get rid of the duel mass flywheel with a solid unit and get yourself a decent clutch like an Excedy or 4 Terrain from Clutch industries...

Not a cheap exercise but shop around as you will be surprised at some of the quotes differences ..

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Bloodyaussie For This Useful Post:

Dr Gary (17th September 2013)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just had mine done, fitted a Single Mass Excedy standard clutch, cost me $2000 supplied & fitted, Excedy Safari Tuff clutch is the heavier duty version at appx $300 more, shop around for the clutch as the costs does vary, the supplier is in Sydney but as usual it is often cheaper to buy interstate
    2002 3L GU Patrol, 2" lift, 33's, snorkel, dual battery, sliders, DVD, bluetooth

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Morton For This Useful Post:

Dr Gary (18th September 2013)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,037 Times in 846 Posts
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Depends on what you want to do with it, or do you want the cheapest one out there ..... at 75K, the dual mass flywheel may still be OK, and you may want to leave that as it is.

The only thing with doing this is that it is always a risk, and it may go soon afterwards meaning it costs you double in labour.

Safari Tuff Clutch or Exceedy make great heavy duty clutches, and some owners that have changed clutches recommend the single mass flywheel, and others say stay with the dual mass one.

I haven't had to replace my clutch on any Patrol that I have owned, and they have mostly all done over 100K, so I can't tell you from experience .....

Mic
    GU PATROL 2011 Ti, with goodies...

8. The Following User Says Thank You to happygu For This Useful Post:

Dr Gary (18th September 2013)

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So an Exceedy costs around $1,400 plus $400 fitting, so I have decided that is the way to go.
    I am told a kit for dual mass (without changing the flywheel) costs MORE than the single mass kit INCLUDING flywheel--go figure.
    In any case , many thanks for great feed-back.
    GU IV 2006; 3.0 DDi ST-S; Nissan Snorkel, Bull Bar and Tow Bar; Warn 8,000# Winch with Dyneema rope; Auber EGT, Boost and dual Battery gauges; Provent 200; Dual Batteries; Three Dogs recovery points; Rear Springs +20% load; Outback drawers and Cargo Barrier; UHF; [GPS, Radio, CD, Bluetooth, SD, USB] floor extension; Alloy roof rack

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by happygtu View Post
    Depends on what you want to do with it, or do you want the cheapest one out there ..... at 75K, the dual mass flywheel may still be OK, and you may want to leave that as it is.

The only thing with doing this is that it is always a risk, and it may go soon afterwards meaning it costs you double in labour.

Safari Tuff Clutch or Exceedy make great heavy duty clutches, and some owners that have changed clutches recommend the single mass flywheel, and others say stay with the dual mass one.

I haven't had to replace my clutch on any Patrol that I have owned, and they have mostly all done over 100K, so I can't tell you from experience .....

Mic
    that's one & the same clutch, its the Excedy Safari Tuff
    2002 3L GU Patrol, 2" lift, 33's, snorkel, dual battery, sliders, DVD, bluetooth

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr Gary View Post
    So an Exceedy costs around $1,400 plus $400 fitting, so I have decided that is the way to go.
    I am told a kit for dual mass (without changing the flywheel) costs MORE than the single mass kit INCLUDING flywheel--go figure.
    In any case , many thanks for great feed-back.
    if that is for the heavy duty clutch then is an extremely good price fitted, that is the normal price for a standard SM clutch fitted, so you know the difference, the standard is Silver & the Safari Tuff is gold, $1400 is the standard cost of a Safari Tuff, the standard silver clutch is appx $1100 but if someone has quoted you $400 to fit it I would be concerned as it is a total pig job, ask them first if they have ever fitted them before to a 3litre GU

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi all
    Finally have the GU back and it has a Excedy clutch and solid flywheel. Morton is correct-it is a really tough job and cost me $800 labour, which seemed about right. It took two gearbox jacks and two people to remove and refit.
    Pedal is completely different and much lighter.
    WE shall see!!!
    Thanks again

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So he quoted you $400 for fitment and it took him twice as long and stung you the difference? Hardly seems right.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,670 Times in 3,128 Posts
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wazza_66 View Post
    So he quoted you $400 for fitment and it took him twice as long and stung you the difference? Hardly seems right.
    X2.. If he's quoted it
    Cheers
    Kallen Westbrook