Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Front locker

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Front locker

Is a front locker going to benefit in desert & beach driving i have the factory LSD in the rear,

Cheers Tonks.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 2,062 Times in 938 Posts
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The short answer is no...... however, it depends where you go and what you do, generally front lockers will reduce your turning ability in most situations (including sand), a limited improvement may be noticeable in very soft sand when travelling "straight" ahead.

The exception to this is if you fit a auto lokka, if you have this type of lokka in the front, with a small change in your driving style, ive found it can actually be a benifit in most sand driving situations ive come across.
    <a href=http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j320/02ard/PatrolcomAvatar-1-1.jpg target=_blank>http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j3...Avatar-1-1.jpg</a>

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 04OFF For This Useful Post:

growler2058 (3rd September 2013), MEGOMONSTER (3rd September 2013)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,713 Times in 2,489 Posts
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i have an auto locker and yes it is a bit harder to steer but i havent had any dramas as yet not that i do a lot of sand driving.
    2003 gu3 td42tdi sold 😞 bloody gvm towing crap. Bt50 3500kg gvm.

Thanks
    Thanked 12,951 Times in 6,827 Posts
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 04OFF View Post
    The short answer is no...... however, it depends where you go and what you do, generally front lockers will reduce your turning ability in most situations (including sand), a limited improvement may be noticeable in very soft sand when travelling "straight" ahead.

The exception to this is if you fit a auto lokka, if you have this type of lokka in the front, with a small change in your driving style, ive found it can actually be a benifit in most sand driving situations ive come across.
    Correct in my opinion! Love my LoKKa has been a big difference in the sand dunes at loveday 4wd adventures, slight change in driving style and away ya go

IF YA DONT GET STUCK YA AINT TRYIN HARD ENOUGH........OR YA TOOK THE CHICKEN TRACK

WARNING: TOWBALLS USED WITH SNATCHSTRAPS DO KILL!!

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have front and rear and for me no real difference in sand driving but that's just my experience.
    GQ Snorkle Lockers front n rear

Thanks
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can`t see any benefit for a locker in beach sand, front or rear. In saying that, I`d still go for a rear locker, no matter how good people say the Patrols LSDs are.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,713 Times in 2,489 Posts
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yeh that old chestnut, good lsd in rear and front locker is a better option than just a locker in the back imho.
    2003 gu3 td42tdi sold 😞 bloody gvm towing crap. Bt50 3500kg gvm.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Stropp For This Useful Post:

MudRunnerTD (4th September 2013)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,062 Times in 938 Posts
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Stropp View Post
    yeh that old chestnut, good lsd in rear and front locker is a better option than just a locker in the back imho.
    X2, otherwise all the Ti owners with just a factory rear locker, would be getting "further" than those of us with front locker/rear LSD ? , i dont think so !
    <a href=http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j320/02ard/PatrolcomAvatar-1-1.jpg target=_blank>http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j3...Avatar-1-1.jpg</a>

Thanks
    Thanked 12,951 Times in 6,827 Posts
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 04OFF View Post
    X2, otherwise all the Ti owners with just a factory rear locker, would be getting "further" than those of us with front locker/rear LSD ? , i dont think so !
    X3........

IF YA DONT GET STUCK YA AINT TRYIN HARD ENOUGH........OR YA TOOK THE CHICKEN TRACK

WARNING: TOWBALLS USED WITH SNATCHSTRAPS DO KILL!!

Thanks
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Stropp View Post
    Horses for courses. All depends on how you look at it. I`d rather push a weight with a rear locker and no front locker, than bust a CV with a front locker and while having a LSD whilst pulling a weight. If I had both diffs with lockers, Id only have the front one on if I know I really need it, driving straight and or minimal steering to limit the possibility of the CVs busting. But you lot knew that right? Having a busted CV and rear LSD isn`t going to get you far now is it? Just my thoughts and looking at it in a way that one option could cost you more money in repairs, than in another way of doing the job.
    04OFF - The reason why the Ti has a rear locker is because it`s the next model up and why would you pay for an LSD, when a locker is a better option?
    Last edited by Bush Ranger; 13th September 2013 at 11:33 AM.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast