Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Shock absorber advice

Thanks
    Thanked 1,525 Times in 887 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    But what is the advantage of making the spring that way?

Tip tip tip......tap tap tap....

1997 GQ Patrol RX, TB42E. Mods: OME 2" lift, 33" BFG KM2'S, ARB winch bar & reconditioned X9 Superwinch, IPF 900 spotties HID conversion, ARB side steps and scrub bars, Kaymar rear step & spare wheel carrier & jerry holder, Rear 55W LED worklight, Safari Snorkel, 147L LRA tank, Extended diff breathers, dual batteries, GME UHF, Home built drawer and fridge slide, ARB 60L fridge.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 4,665 Times in 3,125 Posts
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Drewboyaus View Post
    So I'm curious, what's the advantage of Flexi coils over say, regular OME lifted springs?
    BTW if you're touring, the nitrogen filled shocks are excellent if you don't want your ride pogoing down the road.....

It's in the name.. Flexi's are made to flex, Stock is made to carry the loads. Haven't done heaps of digging so not sure if the make different weight ratings like OME's do.
    Cheers
    Kallen Westbrook

Thanks
    Thanked 5,115 Times in 2,901 Posts
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Drewboyaus View Post
    So I'm curious, what's the advantage of Flexi coils over say, regular OME lifted springs?
    BTW if you're touring, the nitrogen filled shocks are excellent if you don't want your ride pogoing down the road.....
    This is off their website.

FLEXY COILS

Suspension Stuff Ultra flexy coils have been perfected. They have a ride height of a 2" lift and the flex of a 5" lift for both front and rear.

Flexy Coils are made out of a micro alloy high tensile steel which is about 20% higher tenisile then other coil manufacturers. The variable spring rate allows a comfortable ride with less body roll then a regular coil. They also can carry heavier loads without sagging so they are ideal for touring and we warranty them for 5 years.
    2011 GU8 ST 3.0 CRD, ARB Bullbar with IPF spotties, scrub bars and side steps, Snorkel, Dual Battery system, Waeco fridge, Turbo Timer, ARB Roof Rack with 5 IPF spotties across the front, Custom full Leather Bucket seats, DPchip, 3" Taipan exhaust, ARE Intercooler & scoop, Autron EGT/Boost and dual volt gauges, ARB front locker.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to MEGOMONSTER For This Useful Post:

Parksy (14th September 2013)

Thanks
    Thanked 13,507 Times in 6,602 Posts
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    G'day jens,

The tough dog range of shocks are a mass produced budget specific shock for the world market, if you have a look around on forums across the net you will find many many mixed reports about them. When you sit them next to the others on your list they are just completely out classed by design. Tough Dog would agree that their range is not pitched against the Amada or the Profender or the Old Man Emu LTR range. Simply No Comparison. It was never the idea though.

A Full Step down from the above and you have the likes of Old Man emu Nitrocharger v Tough Dog v Iron Man. The OME are a class above the other two there too.

Tough Dog and Iron Man have a Business plan for the mass market World Wide.likely both are Made in China under supervision I'm sure. The OME are made in Kilsyth Victoria.

The 12 stage Adjustable technology is just silly when stacked against the OME. The OME designed a infinitely variable valving system in the shock to interact to the load and the conditions and constantly adjust to the feedback from the road. Why would anyone thnk they can do better than that by manually adjusting a shock to a single setting????

The Shocks that Alfonso notes in the above post I believe are a Tough Dog copy of the OME variable valving system and are not an adjustable shock. Given they are based on the World Class design of the Aussie Made Old Man Emu I am sure they are performing well to date. I note that Alfonso's sig line lists Bellow Airbags too which will be helping Allot.

Second part of your post.

What are those measurements mate? Is that pin to pin measurements? Fully open measurements? Or fully closed measurements??

A the idea of aiming for the centre of your shock is this. The Manufacturere of the shocks design around the shocks optimum performance being a ride in the dead centre of the travel of the shock, allowing the shock to travel an equal distance up and down.

If you buy a 6" shock that is say a 10" travel shock (for the conversation) you have 250mm of travel. When you bolt that shock up if it sits flat in your driveway in the centre of its travel you have 125mm up and 125mm down travel. But you fit that to a 4" spring so robbing 2" from the centre all at the top. Now it sits at 75mm up and 175mm down.
    So now all you have is 75mm of compression left before you turn a wheel.

I was left with 50mm of compression on my setup designed by SS. I did not extend my bump stops and blew 2 sets of shocks to show for it. I could drive along and feel it bumping along not very bumpy tracks on the bottom of the shocks mate! Horrid. Bottoming out because I have 50mm of compression from ride height.

So now you want to go touring, load up the car and the thing sags 30mm with the weight and now you have Nothing left! Plenty of flex in the droop though! Joy! Mathematically incorrect IMO.

So the bottom line is that the longer the shock is the bigger the body therefore the Longer the Closed length is. Measure the Close Length of the shock you want to buy the measure the Pin the Pin measurement of the shock mounts and consider where the centre of the shock Stroke will be when it's at ride height (stroke being distance between fully closed to fully open)

Hope that makes some sense mate.
    Last edited by MudRunnerTD; 13th September 2013 at 10:18 PM.
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

7. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to MudRunnerTD For This Useful Post:

alfonso (14th September 2013), Drewboyaus (13th September 2013), gandalf (21st January 2014), Parksy (14th September 2013), shotover (14th November 2014), TPC (13th September 2013)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Westy's Accessories View Post
    It's in the name.. Flexi's are made to flex, Stock is made to carry the loads. Haven't done heaps of digging so not sure if the make different weight ratings like OME's do.
    Front coils have a 270-290lb spring rate at ride height depending on how much weight you have on the front.
    The rear coils have an approx 290lb spring rate at ride height if you are a wagon, 250lb if you have a ute, 330lbs with a bit of load and a 400lb spring rate with a lot of load so no matter how much weight you have on the vehicle you have the perfect spring rate. The increase to a 400lb spring rate does help stability off road.
    2011 GU8 ST 3.0 CRD, ARB Bullbar with IPF spotties, scrub bars and side steps, Snorkel, Dual Battery system, Waeco fridge, Turbo Timer, ARB Roof Rack with 5 IPF spotties across the front, Custom full Leather Bucket seats, DPchip, 3" Taipan exhaust, ARE Intercooler & scoop, Autron EGT/Boost and dual volt gauges, ARB front locker.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,525 Times in 887 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't do any super extreme stuff but have done some reasonably hard high country tracks and haven't lacked for flex with my OME springs.
    That's why I'm curious about them.

I will be putting in some swaybar disconnects for the front to help things along a bit.

1997 GQ Patrol RX, TB42E. Mods: OME 2" lift, 33" BFG KM2'S, ARB winch bar & reconditioned X9 Superwinch, IPF 900 spotties HID conversion, ARB side steps and scrub bars, Kaymar rear step & spare wheel carrier & jerry holder, Rear 55W LED worklight, Safari Snorkel, 147L LRA tank, Extended diff breathers, dual batteries, GME UHF, Home built drawer and fridge slide, ARB 60L fridge.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    So the concept of the flexi coil is that when its off the car it is a Long Spring. Side by side with say a tough Dog spring it would be equivalent to a 5" tough dog spring for unloaded length.

Being a flexi coil though, when loaded with vehicle weight the top 3 or 4 coils of spring are fully closed and stacked on top off itself waiting to be used. This means though that the spring is now restricted in its compression by the space left between only half it's stack because the rest is closed. But the concept is restrict compression anyway as they are marketed as a super long spring and your shocks can't cope with much compression as above anyway.

So when they are unloaded (drooping due to cross flex of the axle) they extend to their unloaded extra long length without disengaging from the spring tower limiting the need for drop out cones or spring retainers to hold the springs in when your Super Long 6" shocks are now aloud to use all that open length and you get good flex.

Flexi coils in a Nut Shell.
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!

The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

11. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MudRunnerTD For This Useful Post:

BigRAWesty (13th September 2013), Drewboyaus (13th September 2013), Parksy (14th September 2013), TPC (13th September 2013)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MudRunnerTD View Post
    So the concept of the flexi coil is that when its off the car it is a Long Spring. Side by side with say a tough Dog spring it would be equivalent to a 5" tough dog spring for unloaded length.

Being a flexi coil though, when loaded with vehicle weight the top 3 or 4 coils of spring are fully closed and stacked on top off itself waiting to be used. This means though that the spring is now restricted in its compression by the space left between only half it's stack because the rest is closed. But the concept is restrict compression anyway as they are marketed as a super long spring and your shocks can't cope with much compression as above anyway.

So when they are unloaded (drooping due to cross flex of the axle) they extend to their unloaded extra long length without disengaging from the spring tower limiting the need for drop out cones or spring retainers to hold the springs in when your Super Long 6" shocks are now aloud to use all that open length and you get good flex.

Flexi coils in a Nut Shell.
    So, Aye or Nay

Thanks
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MEGOMONSTER View Post
    So, Aye or Nay
    I have taken Out the Flexi Coils from the GQ and fitted Superior own Coils with the Amadas and it has Transformed the Car.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MEGOMONSTER View Post
    So, Aye or Nay
    It flexes pretty good.........

ImageUploadedByMotorculture1379074632.498638.jpg

ImageUploadedByMotorculture1379074672.491399.jpg

ImageUploadedByMotorculture1379074691.659326.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Motorculture mobile app

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast