Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Shock absorber advice

Hey everyone,

I've done some research on what type of shock I want and I'm hoping people's experience can lead me to the best shock for my needs.

I just purchased the 2" flexy coils from suspension stuff and will be looking at fitting 3" shocks in the front and 4" shocks in the rear as recommended. My GQ is mainly set up for touring.

I want a shock that's a monotube design that's going to do the job for touring through WA. I've looked at AmadaXtreme, Profender, and Tough Dog as the main contenders. I don't want an adjustable shock either.

Does anyone have any experience with these shocks? My budget would be $1000 max. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 4,041 Times in 1,746 Posts
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would go with the amada's they are rebuildable which means buy them once, when it flogs out put a seal kit through it new oil and repressurize. A downside to monotube shocks are if the tube gets dented (by a rock or something) the piston is not able to travel past that dent as it wont fit. That could lead to more serious damage like bending a shaft.
    The amada and profender are remote resovior. This helps with cooling the oil, the hotter the oil gets, the thinner it gets and the shock does not perform properly. shocks get incredibly hot, I recently had one of my King shocks on a shock dyno for 5 minutes I could not touch it for half an hour its was that hot after a 180kmh simulation. Imagine what 8 hours of corrogated roads will do.

Amada is my pick
    Last edited by Ben-e-boy; 13th September 2013 at 07:59 PM.
    96 GQ coil/Cab
    08 G6eT

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Ben-e-boy For This Useful Post:

gaddy (13th September 2013), MudRunnerTD (13th September 2013), Robo (16th September 2013), Woof (13th September 2013)

Thanks
    Thanked 12,425 Times in 6,261 Posts
    Mentioned
    202 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben-e-boy View Post
    I would go with the amada's they are rebuildable which means buy them once, when it flogs out put a seal kit through it new oil and repressurize. A downside to monotube shocks are if the tube gets dented (by a rock or something) the piston is not able to travel past that dent as it wont fit. That could lead to more serious damage like bending a shaft.
    The amada and profender are remote resovior. This helps with cooling the oil, the hotter the oil gets, the thinner it gets and the shock does not perform properly. shocks get incredibly hot, I recently had one of my King shocks on a shock dyno for 5 minutes I could not touch it for half an hour its was that hot after a 180kmh simulation. Imagine what 8 hours of corrogated roads will do.

Amada is my pick
    The things you learn! I did not know they got that hot

Sent from my iPad using Motorculture mobile app

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Winnie For This Useful Post:

BigRAWesty (13th September 2013)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,664 Times in 3,125 Posts
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Same.. Learn something new everyday..
    Cheers
    Kallen Westbrook

Thanks
    Thanked 4,041 Times in 1,746 Posts
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Winnie View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Westy's Accessories View Post
    I knew they got hot, but up until it went on the shock dyno I didnt realise they got blistering hot. I had to see it to believe it. I know why some cheap shocks fade so quickly now.....cant dissipate the heat
    96 GQ coil/Cab
    08 G6eT

Thanks
    Thanked 13,507 Times in 6,602 Posts
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Winnie View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Westy's Accessories View Post
    That's why the Old Man Emu shocks are called Nitro chargers. They run Nitrogen gas as it has a much higher boiling temp and they resist fade by design.

The idea of a remote res shock like the LTR OME or the Amada or Kings is that the remote res is an extra canister of gas to dissipate the heat.

I have Amadas on the GQ and am stoked with them.

Yo need to check your lengths before ordering mate and ignore the advice about 3" and 4" shocks with your 2" springs. It defies logic. The centre position of your shock should be aimed for mate. A long shock will end up being close to bumping out if its 2 long and you will blow them. I have blown 2 rear sets with that advice from Suspension Stuff. Ripped it all out and started again. So much nicer now with Superior Setup. Junked the SS gear

Tough Dog should not be written on the same page as the other 2 choices you have listed. Simply not in the same class.
    Last edited by MudRunnerTD; 13th September 2013 at 09:36 PM.
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I run tough dog nitro max shocks and find them great 16000 klm of rough corrugation working in the cape lots of pot holes and fully laden with no bottoming out works for me. They have been making them in south Africa for nearly forty years so they must have some merits .
    2012 gu6 dx canopy factory snorkel and bull bar new bfg all terrain, bellow style air bags, uhf, centre console, tinted windows, projecta 150 amp dual battery set up ipf super rally spotties, nitro oil shocks

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey Mudrunner,

Can I ask why you'd stay away from Tough Dog? I'm keen to know if you had a bad experience with them or if there not well suited for a GQ. I'm definitely keen on a shock with a remote reservoir depending on how much they are and I haven't heard a bad thing yet about Amada.

I bought the flexy coil and was given the measurements of 570mm in the front, and 720mm in the rear. Could you explain what you mean't by "the centre position of your shock should be aimed for." Not quite sure what you mean.

Does anyone on the forum have experience running the 2" flexy coils?

Thanks guys

Thanks
    Thanked 1,525 Times in 887 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So I'm curious, what's the advantage of Flexi coils over say, regular OME lifted springs?
    BTW if you're touring, the nitrogen filled shocks are excellent if you don't want your ride pogoing down the road.....

Tip tip tip......tap tap tap....

1997 GQ Patrol RX, TB42E. Mods: OME 2" lift, 33" BFG KM2'S, ARB winch bar & reconditioned X9 Superwinch, IPF 900 spotties HID conversion, ARB side steps and scrub bars, Kaymar rear step & spare wheel carrier & jerry holder, Rear 55W LED worklight, Safari Snorkel, 147L LRA tank, Extended diff breathers, dual batteries, GME UHF, Home built drawer and fridge slide, ARB 60L fridge.

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The flexy coil is tapered at the top and slightly thinner. It was explained to me that the top of the flexy coil is designed to compress when the truck is loaded up, and you still retain the two inches of lift in the main section of the spring. They have a five year warranty against sagging so I'll be keen to see how they go

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast