Thread: Wedgetail camper

Patrol Freak
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,653 Times in 591 Posts
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice...very nice. Well done to Wedgetail Campers.
    Between Patrols ATM. Had a beaut GU with 6.5 Chev TD. Next is a GU ute with a 4.5 litre Cummins conversion and a camper on the back.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 20,715 Times in 8,559 Posts
    Mentioned
    579 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Thats one of the best laid out campers Ive seen!

Thanks
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice looking camper pity they exposed the clips and doors on the side I've seen one of those loose every protruding item on both sides.

Thanks
    Thanked 12,386 Times in 6,250 Posts
    Mentioned
    201 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I'd take one of those! Love it, not sure about the indoor shower and shitter though, hahaha.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,525 Times in 887 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Winnie View Post
    I'd take one of those! Love it, not sure about the indoor shower and shitter though, hahaha.
    Yeah, no good for the morning after! Sheesh.

Tip tip tip......tap tap tap....

1997 GQ Patrol RX, TB42E. Mods: OME 2" lift, 33" BFG KM2'S, ARB winch bar & reconditioned X9 Superwinch, IPF 900 spotties HID conversion, ARB side steps and scrub bars, Kaymar rear step & spare wheel carrier & jerry holder, Rear 55W LED worklight, Safari Snorkel, 147L LRA tank, Extended diff breathers, dual batteries, GME UHF, Home built drawer and fridge slide, ARB 60L fridge.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd love one, but not real sure about how they secure the loads, stove, basket drawers etc. Would make a real mess if not able to be "tied down" in some way.

As for the inside toilet, we would have a few rules, Rule 1 1s OK, Rule 2 2s not OK, Rule 3 you use it you empty it (I can outlast the Mrs no probs)
    Time Marches On .....and on ..... and on

Patrol Guru
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well thought out, but seems marketed at old people.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,239 Times in 641 Posts
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Alrighty! Short n blonde has her heart set on a wedgie! No,no, that don't sound right! Ah yes, a wedgetail slide on!
    420kg dry weight, yeah good. Nearly 48k base model, Holy effin shoit!
    So before capitulating completely, (yes it will happen, always does) does anyone now have first hand experience with these cash swallowing monsters!
    Are they as good as they appear to be on paper and in promo vids? Can I still tow the toys with it strapped to the back of the Patrol?????
    Info please folks!
    I AM NOT STUBBORN.........I prefer the term, Singlemindedly independent !

Thanks
    Thanked 7,403 Times in 2,995 Posts
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just watched the more recent promo video for the first time. These things really are so well thought out, very obviously by an enthusiast who has refined it through both personal use & from feedback. Regarding the prices - although a lot of money they compare very favorably to the likes of the Tvan & offer more facilities.

The fully optioned dry weights are getting up there, probably need to add a further 200kg for water food & other belongings - over 800kg fully optioned, but a towed boat could be utilised to rationalise weight distribution. Nevertheless most vehicles would need upgraded suspension, which has the potential to be harsher than preferred when the camper is not on.

I must admit there is more canvas & poles than I'd prefer, with most of it needing to be set up each time. Our Tvan has similar, but we chose it because you can do quick setups without any poles & canvas at all if you wish, with several options between 'minamalist' & full awnings. The 'price' we pay is less sophistication of the fully set up camper, in particular the inability to cook indoors in crap weather & mozzie plagues.

Intended use is everything. If travelling every day for long periods canvas & poles are a pain. Much less of an issue for short breaks or trips of just a few weeks.

We thought long & hard about the idea of a slide on. The promise of having a functional ute at home, & the ability to 'unhitch' the camper whilst away both seemed very desirable. Having talked to several folk who owned a variety of slide ons (not a Wedgetail though) I found that taking the thing off whilst travelling was something that rarely, if ever was done. Sounds good, but is not quite as easy & straightforward as to be something undertaken regularly. Weight-wise it makes more sense to have something mounted direct to the chassis, but then you don't have a useable ute at home unless you're happy to switch around trays etc. Needing to do so takes away any thought of spontaneous weekend escapes.

I reckon if you have appropriate suspension/load carrying capacity on a two seater ute & accept the compromises that this style of camper has (& every style of camper has compromises of one sort or another) then it's hard to imagine a better design ....... but you do need to be very clear about the implications of the compromises & not let the 'dream' which is being marketed cloud your judgement.... just like with any camper.
    Last edited by Cuppa; 17th November 2016 at 01:36 PM.

2006 4.2TDi ex-Telstra Remote area Camper. 425w roof mounted solar, 360Ah Aux batts, BCDC1240, Onboard hot & cold pressurised & filtered water, (25 litre hot water calorifier), ARB fridge, ARB freezer, Built in kitchen, heaps of easy access storage, 240v, 3” Genie exhaust + dynotune, 2” lift, 3900kg GVM upgrade, second glovebox, ROH Blaktrak steel wheels, Bridgestone D697's (now Toyo RT's), Redarc gauges/pillarpod, Hema HX-1, Icom 450 CB, dual rear view cameras, Onboard 30amp Victron mains charger, second glovebox, dual seat conversion, TPMS, Boss PX7 onboard air with 9 litre tank, 350w inverter, Steel bullbar, Harrop Eaton diff lock (front), Warn winch, Snorkel, Dual spares , 160 litre water tank, 180 litre fuel in two tanks (approx 1200km range) 2010 Tvan Tanami. (incl another 70 litre water tank) with matching wheels/tyres (& 3rd spare)
    A Nomadic Life (Blog)

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Cuppa For This Useful Post:

Touses (17th November 2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,963 Times in 7,394 Posts
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    IMHO its a lot of money$$$ just to sleep in a tent,
    way too much over hang as well

new hair yeah yeah lol
    Last edited by threedogs; 17th November 2016 at 12:57 PM.
    04 ST 3lt auto, not enough Mods to keep me happy, but getting there

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast