Bluecrab (19th December 2013)

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can they be used in horizontal and vertical position safely?

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A Jack... jacks. An Air Bag is full of air/ exhaust. I have and use both. The air bag put a piece of thick ply top and bottom. Hi Lift your going to jack up.So think about that? I have a winch kit for the High Lift and buy a wheel lifter ( Strap and 2 Hooks)! GREAT!! I mean really what do yopu want to lift Suspended wieght bor the source? Be safe!! BIGJim's 2c worth.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,135 Times in 573 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi guys. Just to throw in my 2cw, I have used Hi-Lift jacks for the last 30 years, including my time with the army as an engineer, building Bailey bridges and Medium Girder bridges as well as lifting houses up and off timber/concrete foundations. As you can imagine, the loads involved in those lifts were alot more than the weight of your average patrol. Heck, they were a lot more that a heavily modified patrol. The thing that I learnt most about them was that you need to have a very healthy respect for them. They are an amazing piece of equipment, when used correctly and treated with the respect they deserve. However, if not used correctly, they can be, and have been, lethal.

A whole lot of factors need to be taken in to consideration when using a Hi-Lift jack, most improtantly is stability, as if they are used on uneven/unstable ground, they are prone to sliding out under pressure. Another factor is if you use them steel-on-steel, on an unrated or weaker structure, they can again be prone to slippage or collapse. A lot of bullbars now have slots built in so that the jacks can be housed more safely. I have a dual wheel carrier on the rear of my patrol that has the lift slot on each outer side of the carrier. A base-plate for the jack should also be an essential piece of kit if you have the jack.

Having said that I am a firm fan of the Hi-lift jack, the question is would I have an exhaust jack? The answer is... Yes, I would. Carried with my hi-Lift. Knowing what I know now, if I had to choose only one to take, and knowing just how dangerous the hi-lift can be, it would be the exhaust jack.

I have never used an exhaust jack, but what I have heard and read, (Thanks MudRunner for your photos and explanation!) it would be an excellent piece of equipment to have. If I had no experience with the hi-lif jack then I would definately choose the exhaust jack, due to their ease of use and also the variety of terrain they are better in.
    2006 Ser IV GU, 6.5l TD V8 Chev with 4spd Auto, 3in Lift, 35in Kumho's, 12000lb winch, Nissan snorkel, Diff breathers, lightbar + Lightforce HD spots on roofrack. Built to go bush.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Gecko17 For This Useful Post:

Bluecrab (11th March 2014), FNQGU (20th March 2014)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    went to use my exhaust jack yesterday for the first time on the tracks, Well it didn't do much! "Note to self, must get that big hole in the muffler fixed" LOL!!!!!!!
    GQ Snorkle Lockers front n rear

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 89gqpatrol4x4 View Post
    went to use my exhaust jack yesterday for the first time on the tracks, Well it didn't do much! "Note to self, must get that big hole in the muffler fixed" LOL!!!!!!!
    It's funny because your bald!
    06 TD 4.2 coil cab, 3 inch lift, front ARB air locker.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,640 Times in 3,287 Posts
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluecrab View Post
    Can they be used in horizontal and vertical position safely?
    Absolutely.

Used mine horizontally a couple of times.

On one occasion between a tree and the B Pillar to stabilise the car while we built a rut up.
    On another to prevent the vehicle continuing to slide sideways while we changed a tyre that the incompetent driver (me) had popped off a bead.

Worked awesomely well both times, the vehicle didn't move a millimetre.
    Because you only need a few PSI pressure you couldn't even see where the bag had been
    Dolphins are so smart that within a few weeks of captivity, they can train people to stand on the very edge of the pool and throw them fish.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I love my exhaust jack its a ripper, bought it from arb and ive used it a bunch of times. Couldnt recommend them more
    pootrol with the lot! :

Patrol Freak
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,653 Times in 591 Posts
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, I can only say that although I have used exhaust jacks, and rate them highly, I wouldn't rely on one as your sole jacking method. My Bushranger Exhaust jack failed on its first use after sitting for about 5 years in the bag unused. Bushranger didn't want to talk to me about it as it was out of warranty. The seam down one side completely burst when lifting only a very light trailer as a bit of a tester before a bigger trip. Very disappointing.

The Highlift is very unlikely to fail in such a manner, but yes, you have to treat them with respect.
    Between Patrols ATM. Had a beaut GU with 6.5 Chev TD. Next is a GU ute with a 4.5 litre Cummins conversion and a camper on the back.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thanks for this thread as it has answered a lot for me, and maybe generated a few more questions.

I have decided to go for an air bag jack and wondered if you guys could point me in the direction of which is considered to be the best. I'm not a hardcore 4wd'er but just want something i can stick in the bag and use if I ever need to.

So folks......which brand/model would you recommend (ideally less than or around $200)

cheers
    Mark

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast