Patrol God
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,830 Times in 1,250 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've folded a high-lift in half, not a proud moment but ill share lol

I ripped a valve stem off on a track and my spare was puntured but I didn't want to fix that one just yet so I jacked up the front end using the stock bottle jack, removed the tyre and not having a spare to put on and stupidly being in a rush.. I started using the high lift to pop the bead while it was jacked up big mistake! While jacking on the bead the bottle jack slipped and the car dropped down on the rotor farking the bottle jack and bending the high lift like a banana scarring the shit outta myself and a mate who we had to use his jack to finish the job.

Stupid I know lmao but I now have a greater respect for how dangerous they are and take every precaution possible and don't Fing rush these things

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to megatexture For This Useful Post:

Bluecrab (18th December 2013), mudski (11th September 2013), rottodiver (10th March 2014)

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

The master farter
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,261 Times in 6,427 Posts
    Mentioned
    460 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I bet that will sty in the back of your mind every time you see a Hi-lift too hey? In all honesty a hi-lift is good, if used right.
    On our recent snow trip a Tojo spike a front tyre. Within minutes the hi-lift was under it and the car jacked up. We also had the winch from my car supporting the Tojo too as we were on a decline, not much but enough to make a hi-lift let go.
    Come to think of it, that tyre was done and dusted quite quickly.
    I have an exhaust jack but would like a hi-lift aswell as I still do see there is a use for them in some applications. Mostly an exhaust bag will do it all but on that odd occasion when the hi-lift will work better....What occasion? Dunno

Thanks
    Thanked 13,452 Times in 6,588 Posts
    Mentioned
    324 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    On the recent snow trip Meetup Drew blew a tyre and we used my exhaust jack and had it changed in minutes. Unfortunately while it was up it was the base of the right shock mount cut a hole in it and it will need to be patched before the next trip. The bag comes with a puncture kit and if necessary I could have patched it then and there.

Big fan
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MudRunnerTD For This Useful Post:

Bluecrab (18th December 2013), Drewboyaus (11th September 2013)

Thanks
    Thanked 13,452 Times in 6,588 Posts
    Mentioned
    324 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    For the benefit of the thread I have grabbed my post from the other thread.

Quote Originally Posted by MudRunnerTD View Post
    Changing a CV in the bush with the Exhaust Jack.

Would never go any other way. Note the wheel went under the car for safety and we ran the winch cable out to the side as we were on a side slope in this pic. Do that with a High lift or Bottle jack and feel safe? Good luck.

Imagine the same photo in a Rutting Mud hole or Sand???? Murphy's law will alway put you in the worst spot when you need to fix it mate

Exhaust Jack 100% of the time, it is part of my Standard Recovery Equipment.

to do this with a Hi Lift i would have to lift the car from the front bar and allow for full suspension articulation to lift the wheel off the ground! That is a Long Way Up! Note the Exhaust jack is straight under the diff and the diff is nearly flat. all good and nice and safe.

**Note in the top pic that the rear suspension is not even articulating!! the car is nearly in a flat stance as it would sit in your driveway!!
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MudRunnerTD For This Useful Post:

Bluecrab (18th December 2013), rottodiver (10th March 2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 12,386 Times in 6,250 Posts
    Mentioned
    201 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by threedogs View Post
    Modern 4x4 are not really made with a hi-lift in mind having being coil sprung you'll be lifting it for ages to get a wheel off the ground, but there are gizmo's to lift via the wheel,
    Yeah I've seen them, but how often do you need to jack the car high enough that the wheel is off the ground, and then not remove that wheel?

Sent from my iPad using Motorculture mobile app

Patrol God
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,830 Times in 1,250 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can strap the axle to chassis to stop the flex when jacking With a high lift , with a exhaust jack once its pumped up you just turn the car off ? And it won't deflate ?

Thanks
    Thanked 4,611 Times in 3,108 Posts
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by megatexture View Post
    You can strap the axle to chassis to stop the flex when jacking With a high lift , with a exhaust jack once its pumped up you just turn the car off ? And it won't deflate ?
    I think they have a one way valve in them so I think you could turn the car Off..
    Cheers
    Kallen Westbrook

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BigRAWesty For This Useful Post:

Bluecrab (18th December 2013), megatexture (11th September 2013)

Thanks
    Thanked 20,715 Times in 8,559 Posts
    Mentioned
    579 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Westy's Accessories View Post
    I think they have a one way valve in them so I think you could turn the car Off..
    Generally a one way valve along the hose about a metre from the device which can easily be popped off to release the air.

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to AB For This Useful Post:

BigRAWesty (11th September 2013), Bluecrab (18th December 2013), megatexture (11th September 2013)

Thanks
    Thanked 20,715 Times in 8,559 Posts
    Mentioned
    579 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by megatexture View Post
    Or attach the rear stab using the nissan handle if you didn't remove it for a bigger lift.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bought the MM exhaust jack, will do some practice 4 sure.
    Cheers.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast