Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Emu's ABH & CSR Trip

Thanks
    Thanked 4,447 Times in 2,546 Posts
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Roofy doesn't like you much at the moment Macca. Im not going to stop nagging till he says yes!! Sounds fantastic.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Sir Roofy For This Useful Post:

macca (9th September 2013)

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 1,214 Times in 516 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds like a grest trip looking forward to the photos

Steve
    If ya not using it buy a prius .....

5. The Following User Says Thank You to gaddy For This Useful Post:

macca (9th September 2013)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,917 Times in 1,080 Posts
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by roofy View Post
    Roofy doesn't like you much at the moment Macca. Im not going to stop nagging till he says yes!! Sounds fantastic.
    Jane you got to make him think its his idea to take you out there LOL

Part III posted above
    Cheers
    Macca

7. The Following User Says Thank You to macca For This Useful Post:

Sir Roofy (9th September 2013)

Thanks
    Thanked 7,424 Times in 3,003 Posts
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Excellent stuff, thanks Macca.
    Based on your experience, what are your thoughts on taking on the Anne Beaell or the CSR with just a single vehicle?

Cuppa

2006 4.2TDi ex-Telstra Remote area Camper. 425w roof mounted solar, 360Ah Aux batts, BCDC1240, Onboard hot & cold pressurised & filtered water, (25 litre hot water calorifier), ARB fridge, ARB freezer, Built in kitchen, heaps of easy access storage, 240v, 3” Genie exhaust + dynotune, 2” lift, 3900kg GVM upgrade, second glovebox, ROH Blaktrak steel wheels, Bridgestone D697's (now Toyo RT's), Redarc gauges/pillarpod, Hema HX-1, Icom 450 CB, dual rear view cameras, Onboard 30amp Victron mains charger, second glovebox, dual seat conversion, TPMS, Boss PX7 onboard air with 9 litre tank, 350w inverter, Steel bullbar, Harrop Eaton diff lock (front), Warn winch, Snorkel, Dual spares , 160 litre water tank, 180 litre fuel in two tanks (approx 1200km range) 2010 Tvan Tanami. (incl another 70 litre water tank) with matching wheels/tyres (& 3rd spare)
    A Nomadic Life (Blog)

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Cuppa For This Useful Post:

macca (10th September 2013)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuppa View Post
    Excellent stuff, thanks Macca.
    Based on your experience, what are your thoughts on taking on the Anne Beaell or the CSR with just a single vehicle?

Cuppa
    Cuppa that is a really good question that I have been asking myself.
    For me with the knowledge I gained this trip I would do it on my own, yes.
    I want to take Pauly on those tracks but I am not sure about travelling with trailers and overweight underprepared vehicles.
    Don't get me wrong the 40 was well prepared but it came up short because of oversights and not getting the best advice, e.g. I think his suspension issues were caused by the shocks being too short.
    Trailers as in the trip note is well covered! The smaller trailer was fine once a decent set of springs were fitted, and the VW has lots of power compared to our Patrols.
    It would be good to have another vehicle in case it all goes bad but being sensible and taking your time should minimise a lot of risks.
    There are lots of other vehicles on the main tracks and quite a few on their own too.
    I would leave so much gear at home as well, weight is the killer.
    Being a solo vehicle you can set your own pace but also have more work to do as in collecting fire wood and latrine duties etc.
    Cheers
    Macca

11. The Following User Says Thank You to macca For This Useful Post:

Cuppa (10th September 2013)

Thanks
    Thanked 7,424 Times in 3,003 Posts
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Right ...... So the big .......no make that huge, question.

What gear would you leave at home next time?
    I reckon that must be such a difficult call? I imagine there would be stuff that you didn't touch in the whole trip, but in different circumstances could be a lifesaver?

Another thing, but related, everyone says that 'weight is the killer' & I understand that weight will place extra stress on suspension components, chassis etc as well as on the wallet at the fuel bowser.......but you got through without any major breakages, which tells me that a well set up patrol can handle 4 tonnes. So what is the impact of weight on a trip like yours? Eg. Were you having to 'gun' it harder than you would like to get over dunes, spending more time than you'd like being extra careful picking your lines, getting bogged ..... Or what?

Cuppa

2006 4.2TDi ex-Telstra Remote area Camper. 425w roof mounted solar, 360Ah Aux batts, BCDC1240, Onboard hot & cold pressurised & filtered water, (25 litre hot water calorifier), ARB fridge, ARB freezer, Built in kitchen, heaps of easy access storage, 240v, 3” Genie exhaust + dynotune, 2” lift, 3900kg GVM upgrade, second glovebox, ROH Blaktrak steel wheels, Bridgestone D697's (now Toyo RT's), Redarc gauges/pillarpod, Hema HX-1, Icom 450 CB, dual rear view cameras, Onboard 30amp Victron mains charger, second glovebox, dual seat conversion, TPMS, Boss PX7 onboard air with 9 litre tank, 350w inverter, Steel bullbar, Harrop Eaton diff lock (front), Warn winch, Snorkel, Dual spares , 160 litre water tank, 180 litre fuel in two tanks (approx 1200km range) 2010 Tvan Tanami. (incl another 70 litre water tank) with matching wheels/tyres (& 3rd spare)
    A Nomadic Life (Blog)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuppa View Post
    Right ...... So the big .......no make that huge, question.

What gear would you leave at home next time?
    I reckon that must be such a difficult call? I imagine there would be stuff that you didn't touch in the whole trip, but in different circumstances could be a lifesaver?

Another thing, but related, everyone says that 'weight is the killer' & I understand that weight will place extra stress on suspension components, chassis etc as well as on the wallet at the fuel bowser.......but you got through without any major breakages, which tells me that a well set up patrol can handle 4 tonnes. So what is the impact of weight on a trip like yours? Eg. Were you having to 'gun' it harder than you would like to get over dunes, spending more time than you'd like being extra careful picking your lines, getting bogged ..... Or what?

Cuppa
    Cuppa,
    I took 2 spare tyres and 2 inner tubes, using a TPMS 1 spare could stay at home. less 40kg
    We bought 2 tubs of food home, the stores in the towns and communities were well stocked. Bread and spuds were available so pasta, sauces etc., and flour to make bread were bought home. less 20kg
    Doubled up on some clothes, plus bought a souvenir jacket. -10kg
    Took all my camera gear, didn't get to use it. Camera, good general zoom and tripod was all I used. -10kg
    At least 1 tarp wasn't needed - 5kg
    Coffee pot can live without it. - 2kg
    Extra tent poles & pegs for Dads and my tent and awning tarps. -10kg
    Bits and pieces of camping gear, plates etc. that just weren't needed. -5kg
    Plenty of good water was available we carried 100ltr could have cut that back to 60. -40kg
    We has too much soap, washing powder WC paper etc. that took up room as did the stuff above.
    We did have so much stuff for repairs and emergencies but it is hard to leave that behind. What I would do next time is to ask can we live without any item, if yes leave it.

I did damage the rear spring nolathane bushes of which I didn't have spares, they had been in the car for 3 years and should have been swapped out for rubber units before we left.

We climbed every difficult obstacle in 1st gear high range, popping it into 4WD on the fly and changing to 1st at 20klm, then holding 1200 - 2000rpm up every sand ridge. At no time did I use more that 30% throttle it did it very very easily.
    I had seen a YouTube from a tag-a-long leader showing that you don't need massive momentum, just let the car walk up the ridges. At no time did I get bogged, a couple of times I was in the wrong gear and feared stalling (no batteries) so backed up to have another go, most times it was easy enough to grab a lower ratio on the move.

The weather out there changes everything, It was dry and warm in the north for us so a different approach would be needed if it was cold or wet.

I'll PM my phone if you want a chat,
    Last edited by macca; 10th September 2013 at 09:50 AM.
    Cheers
    Macca

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to macca For This Useful Post:

gaddy (16th September 2013), oncedisturbed (17th September 2013)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Been talking to Cuppa about fuel economy on the ABH and CSR.
    This is for my 4.2 intercooled, engine stock, tyres 285's, weight over 4.2 tonne fully packed for such a trip

ABH
    Coober Pedy to Ilkurlka................804klm.....136ltr
    Ilkurlka to Laverton..................... 562klm......96ltr
    Total.........................................1366 klm.....232ltr......16.98ltr / 100klm

CSR
    Willuna to Well 23......................858klm.....173ltr
    Well 23 to Kunawaritji................300klm......61ltr
    Kunawaritji to Halls Creek......... 913klm.....190ltr
    Total.......................................2071kl m.....424ltr.....20.47ltr / 100klm

You can get fuel at Billiluna if not on a Saturday after 11.00am or Sunday, about 220klm short of Halls Creek including a trip out to Wolfe Creek. That means fuel used from Kunawaritji to Billiluna would be about 170ltrs. With 1 Gerry can you could do this but with a small margin of safety as far as fuel is concerned.

I had no idea what I would use so erred on the conservative side but had plenty of fuel and were able to avoid buying at Ilkurlka for example. Not that I begrudge them their income nor the higher prices they have to charge just It was nice to know I had it if they didn't and it wasn't contaminated.

We had 5 Gerry can's that held about 110litres so didn't take fuel at Ilkurlka or Well 23.
    With 185 squeezed in the stock Ute tanks plus the 110 we had 295ltrs and a range nearing 1450klm on the worst of these tracks.
    Last edited by macca; 17th September 2013 at 09:31 AM.
    Cheers
    Macca

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to macca For This Useful Post:

93patrol (16th September 2013), gaddy (16th September 2013), GU CAMPER (16th September 2013)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Started photos but need sorting I think
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Cheers
    Macca

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to macca For This Useful Post:

Cuppa (13th October 2013), jack (13th October 2013), Woof (13th October 2013)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Last one is Gaynor Schoeman, the lady who walked the CSR Unassisted
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Cheers
    Macca

20. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to macca For This Useful Post:

Cuppa (13th October 2013), gaddy (14th October 2013), jack (13th October 2013), Woof (13th October 2013)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast