Thread: GU patrol power mood swings

Hybrid View

Thanks
    Thanked 11,335 Times in 6,450 Posts
    Mentioned
    465 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Get the gauges in mate, then get put a dawes and needle valve in. Install a catch can, then block the EGR. Some say CRD's on't need a Dawes but atleas with a Dawes fitted, you get to decide on your max boost and with a needle valve in you can control the spool up rate of the turbo and get it going even better.
    But block the EGR last after everything. As blocking the egr you may get some boost increase and with a dawes fitted you can control it, the ECU won't know what the hell is going on and play funny buggers. Actually, check to see if the EGR is already blocked. You never know, it maybe already....

2. The Following User Says Thank You to mudski For This Useful Post:

Hodge (13th September 2013)

Patrol God
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,113 Times in 3,144 Posts
    Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    That is the very plan mate. 3rd day in a row now she's been going good, so fingers crossed it's the new MAF doing it's thing. Will be in touch probably next week to get the rest of the bits 'n pieces of you, if in stock and then I can get the show going and get it all fitted.
    2005 TD42TI

Thanks
    Thanked 11,335 Times in 6,450 Posts
    Mentioned
    465 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hodge View Post
    That is the very plan mate. 3rd day in a row now she's been going good, so fingers crossed it's the new MAF doing it's thing. Will be in touch probably next week to get the rest of the bits 'n pieces of you, if in stock and then I can get the show going and get it all fitted.
    Got it all in stock mate. Unless I sell out between now and then....sounds like the MAF was the culprit. I keep a spare in my glove box, albeit a faulty spare, but it works fine until you give it a boot full. But good enough to keep the car going if ever needed.
    So now each time you servie the car, remove the MAF and spray it with some MAF cleaner, regardless of how dirty, or how little dirt it has on it. Just add it to part of the service routine.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mine is the same lately . ZD30 2003 series 3 manual 3 inch straight through exhaust. New injector pump 5k ago and new head gasket 2k ago.
    Very sluggish especiallly when up hill at 2000rpm , shes just got no pull like before.Not losing boost at this but just no pull.
    Nads installed to give max boost of 15 psi and I get 6 psi at 1500rpm 3/4 throttle and 10 psi at 2000rpm at 3/4 throttle,no vac leaks or ic leaks(are ic fitted).Had this all fitted prior to this and it ran like a train .
    Maf voltages in spec red wire 2.16 volts because I have egr blocked .
    So could it still be a farked MAF ?
    Or injector nozzles might need replacing ? They`ve done 210000. weren`t replaced when I replaced the head at 175000..
    Sorry for steeling the thread. What do you guys think?
    Input very appreciated.
    Last edited by PATROL KING; 16th September 2013 at 05:51 PM.
    NO HILL TO STEEP
    NO RUT TO DEEP

Patrol God
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I'm bringing this thread back up from the grave, because even though I do not own this Patrol any more, I now may have some clues why I had such erratic power behaviour.

Cut a long story short.... Last week, get a phone call. Surprisingly, its a car yard where i bought my 3L Patrol way back 2013. They're moving / shutting down, and they seem to have found a folder with a lot of original paperwork and books that belong to this car. Traced me down through their invoices and wanted to know if i still want them... Curiously I agreed.
    They arrived today. Amongst some Police forms etc... (Car was ex SA police), there is a bunch of invoices from a few car yards/mechanics.
    And wow.... It seems like, car's power behaved erratically very early on and, not much was NOT replaced on this car early in it's life. From injectors, to turbo, from ECU to IP....
    It doesn't bother me one iota now. Water under a bridge long gone... But I wonder if this folder somehow got "lost" during the sale...

Here is some of the more interesting snippets from the invoices.

2005 TD42TI

Patrol God
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    2005 TD42TI

Thanks
    Thanked 1,210 Times in 594 Posts
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Didn't a guy you knew from work or something buy the patrol from you? How's he going with it, had anymore issues?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2008 GU6 3.0 CRD AUTO | Safari Snorkel | 2" Ironman lift kit | Runva 11XP Winch | 33" MTZ's | Full Length Roof Rack | GME TX3200 | 30" LED Light Bar |

Patrol God
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bacho86 View Post
    Didn't a guy you knew from work or something buy the patrol from you? How's he going with it, had anymore issues?

Yup I see it every day. And the car has been mechanically flawless . It's all dinged up as he actually uses it . Something I didn't do with it lol.

Sent from S5
    2005 TD42TI

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Hodge For This Useful Post:

Bacho86 (24th January 2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,210 Times in 594 Posts
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

GU patrol power mood swings

Quote Originally Posted by Hodge View Post
    Yup I see it every day. And the car has been mechanically flawless . It's all dinged up as he actually uses it . Something I didn't do with it lol.

Sent from S5
    That's great to hear considering the ups and downs you went through with it! Maybe it's time to get the 4.2 out to make up for it? Time to plan another HC trip before the gates close

2008 GU6 3.0 CRD AUTO | Safari Snorkel | 2" Ironman lift kit | Runva 11XP Winch | 33" MTZ's | Full Length Roof Rack | GME TX3200 | 30" LED Light Bar |

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Bacho86 For This Useful Post:

mudski (24th January 2017)

Patrol God
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bacho86 View Post
    That's great to hear considering the ups and downs you went through with it! Maybe it's time to get the 4.2 out to make up for it? Time to plan another HC trip before the gates close

Absolutely agree .
    ... About the high country trip. Lol
    Yeah that Patrol has been put through its paces and it delivered every time. Been all over SA and the HC no issues.
    Happy for him.

Sent from S5
    2005 TD42TI

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Hodge For This Useful Post:

Bacho86 (25th January 2017)

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast