Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: First aid kits

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah first aid courses are invaluable, even for trained medics, I still keep mine up to date and I like to know there is at least one other first aid trained person in a group if we go out on the tracks 4x4ing, cuz its always good to have some extra hands if things go wrong!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Moozle2000 For This Useful Post:

Gecko17 (6th December 2014)

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On that it's time I did a recert. Last time I was disappointed at how much they have dropped from the certs to simplify them. I've learned so many different techniques for CPR over the past 30 years.

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just did a rerun of my first aid with St johns.. The changes over the years with CPR is a problem as i still remember some of the older methods and having troubles remembering the new cut down version..

Also went and upgraded the first aid kit.
    I got their large leisure kit and it does not cover burns or bites. So added these,then more.

In general most off the shelf kits don't have everything you may need.

John, threedogs mentioned UNGVITA. well you can use any fish oil for the same thing, e.g. omega oil,(fish oil) capsules.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to outback For This Useful Post:

threedogs (16th December 2015)

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Everyone bet me to it, but was going to say a first aid course is well worth doing..and in some was more important than the kit as you will see what you can use to make do.

I have two kits in my car, one is a large remote area kit for emergencies which also has a few caylume sticks, torch, batteries, a couple of little hand held UHF's etc in it. I also have quite a few triangular bandages as they are a multi purpose item, from splits (where you will probably need more than one or two)! To dressings, doughnut pads etc. A sami split is also handy to have. A texta is also handy..as well as pencil and paper. Quick Clot trauma dressing are also good.

The other kit is a smaller one and what i call the convienience kit, which has everyday items such as bandaids, sunscreen, insect repelent etc. Its a small kit that fits in the glove box. This is the kit that gets used all the time for general duty.

Also pays to check both kits every 6 months to make sure everything is still in date etc

The reason I have two, is so the convenience kit gets used for everyday cuts and grazes, and the main one is left in one piece.

With CPR if you want to remember the rythym(Paramedic mate told me this) , the easiest way is by remember the song Staying Alive..that's the right rhythm. Or if you don't like them, Another One Bites the Dust also works lol
    Last edited by doka404; 6th December 2014 at 07:02 AM.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to doka404 For This Useful Post:

Gecko17 (6th December 2014)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,135 Times in 573 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Folks, if money is no object, or you have access to equipment that the general public don't have, then you can pretty much carry what ever you like in your first aid kit.... The draw backs are thus:

1, You are more than likely never going to use 2/3's of the equipment you carry.
    2, All items now have expiry dates on them. (and if you don't know what you can and can't use after their expiry, it's best to just replace the lot.)
    3, With every item you carry, you have to know how to, and be allowed to use it. (Everyone can use a basic first aid kit)
    4, First Aid kits can be damned expensive!

The best advice I can give is to think about the types of situations you are most likely to come across and epuip accordingly. Use the K.I.S.S. priciple. That and the old saying "Knowledge is the most important thing you can carry."

In my 30 years of attending various First Aid courses, the one thing I have found is that the face of medicine changes on an almost daily basis as the science improves. You just have to roll with it. (I am a remote area paramedic and everytime I do CPD, something has changed!)

CPR has changed so much over the years and will continue to do so. As Doka404 said, this is a great way to remember how to do CPR...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ILxjxfB4zNk
    2006 Ser IV GU, 6.5l TD V8 Chev with 4spd Auto, 3in Lift, 35in Kumho's, 12000lb winch, Nissan snorkel, Diff breathers, lightbar + Lightforce HD spots on roofrack. Built to go bush.

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My FAK is...everything you might expect +
    First Aid Manual, a bit of light reading, and it can't hurt to have a ready reference if it has been a while since training...
    Flares (not exactly first aid, but signalling is a thing)

Its true there's stuff in there you'll never use, but I use the bandaids, bandages, painkillers and antiseptic often enough to justify it...

Thanks
    Thanked 9,963 Times in 7,394 Posts
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    OOI do they sell those blow up units for broken legs or are they old school now.
    My Chemist sells snake bite kits for $30 but I think you could do better with $25 worth
    of compression bandage. Happy to be wrong
    I think cuts and burns are pretty common along with twisted ankles
    all have happened on numerous occasions when camping/fishing.
    Thankfully nothing more serious has EVER happened
    Last edited by threedogs; 16th December 2015 at 07:02 AM.
    04 ST 3lt auto, not enough Mods to keep me happy, but getting there

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just thought I would add my thoughts. I do (and always have done) a lot of hiking. I'm a landscape photographer so I often hike on my own in the dark into quite inaccessible places.

I carry a very small first aid kit. Everything in there is there for a reason because weight is very important.

My kit always contains a few things that most people don't necessarily have in theirs. So I thought I'd share them. These have all been used in anger!

- Super Glue (I replace this every 6 months). This is the single best emergency wound dresser there is I reckon. It stops bleeding instantly and can be used to close gaping wounds very easily. And it weights nothing. You can hold a wound shut and "draw" streaks of glue across it to create "stitches". Or you can just squirt it on. And it's water proof. Bandaids I use for blisters only. :-)

- Lignocaine Anaesthetic. This basically removes all feeling to an injured area. Very useful for removing big splinters or if a wound is so bad it creates debilitating pain. Lignocaine will give me 4 pain free hours to walk out! Also very useful instead of "stingose" which simply leaks everywhere and doesn't really work. Comes in a small tube that weighs 5g.

- Serious codeine based pain-killers like Panadeine Forte. Ask your GP for a script that you can use to put some in your kit. Serious pain impairs judgement and limits your survival time. Broken ankles or bones can't be treated with Lignocaine!

- Aquatabs. So I can purify water if need be.

A good and well thought out first aid kit is a total must! As has already been mentioned - you need to think about how you would actually use each item.
    2015 GU ST 3.0CRD Auto Wagon, 2" EFS Lift, 5 x Procomp 16s with MT ATZ P3s, TJM Outback Bar and 12000lb Winch, 80l Sub Tank, Redarc 40A DC-DC with Optima Battery and 180w Solar, ARB Compressor On-board, 3" EXHAUST, Rhino Pioneer Platform and Darche Awning, DIY Drawers to come!

Thanks
    Thanked 9,963 Times in 7,394 Posts
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Is that lignocaine a script only medicine.
    04 ST 3lt auto, not enough Mods to keep me happy, but getting there

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by threedogs View Post
    Is that lignocaine a script only medicine.
    No mate. Over the counter at the pharmacist...
    2015 GU ST 3.0CRD Auto Wagon, 2" EFS Lift, 5 x Procomp 16s with MT ATZ P3s, TJM Outback Bar and 12000lb Winch, 80l Sub Tank, Redarc 40A DC-DC with Optima Battery and 180w Solar, ARB Compressor On-board, 3" EXHAUST, Rhino Pioneer Platform and Darche Awning, DIY Drawers to come!

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast