Thread: Thoughts on Darche swags

Thanks
    Thanked 1,525 Times in 887 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by threedogs View Post
    @ Drew as well as what Roofy said up in the tropics etc flies, mozzies etc attack at all hours so throwing
    the swag in side the Fly wire inner frame of a GEO tent would make sense
    I get all that but why not just roll out a sleeping mat and bag and use the tent rather than the swag inside the tent?

Tip tip tip......tap tap tap....

1997 GQ Patrol RX, TB42E. Mods: OME 2" lift, 33" BFG KM2'S, ARB winch bar & reconditioned X9 Superwinch, IPF 900 spotties HID conversion, ARB side steps and scrub bars, Kaymar rear step & spare wheel carrier & jerry holder, Rear 55W LED worklight, Safari Snorkel, 147L LRA tank, Extended diff breathers, dual batteries, GME UHF, Home built drawer and fridge slide, ARB 60L fridge.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 6,868 Times in 3,667 Posts
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Drewboyaus View Post
    I get all that but why not just roll out a sleeping mat and bag and use the tent rather than the swag inside the tent?

Tip tip tip......tap tap tap....
    I suppose a swag is "your bed". Its already got a matress and blanky, its water proof when rolling around in the back of your patrol and you can just grab it out of the shed and go knowing that everytting is included ready to go
    Hello from Under Down Under!

Patrol Freak
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,653 Times in 591 Posts
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yep, exactly. Your swag is your bed and it is safely kept out of the dust etc. by being rolled up and ready to go. Storing all your bedding separately is in my books more of a pain in the ass than having the swag rolled up nicely and ready to be laid out. It has to go somewhere anyway, and the ability to throw them on the roof is pretty bloody handy. Where else does everyone put the mattresses, sheet, sleeping bag etc.? One of those age old compromises I suppose...
    Between Patrols ATM. Had a beaut GU with 6.5 Chev TD. Next is a GU ute with a 4.5 litre Cummins conversion and a camper on the back.

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I recently purchased a Darche Ridgedome, made in China. I would give it a 1/5 rating.
    * They are too mean to put eyelets in the window flaps.
    * The ridgepole supports the tent in one place which is off centre. It would be nice to see at least support in 3 places. As a result of lack of support, the tent looks very "saggy-baggy" and this "may" result in water pooling in severe rain.
    * The swag was erected in the yard and hosed to "weather" it. There has been some rain (bordering on heavy) during that time and there has been some minor water leaks, but perhaps that is part of the "weathering" process, however it does not fill me with confidence.

Having expressed my disappointment in my Darche, it does appear to be the best of a bad bunch bearing in mind that I wanted a swag that was 200cm * 110cm, at least 80cm high and easy to erect.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to mr_jsd For This Useful Post:

mad66 (12th January 2018)

Legendary
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,674 Times in 2,651 Posts
    Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Swag material today is a polyester cotton blend and it does not respond all that well to the weathering process as used to exist when canvas was 100% cotton. Generally the seams are configured with a sealing tape and thats about as good as it gets. If it still leaks I would check the zips and also apply a waterproofing agent either in a spray can or brush on to all the seams for good measure.- you won't win with the supplier. I have a Darche Swag, very happy with it. Mine did not leak from memory, and has been thru everything from dry dusty hot to freezing cold under 6" snow and torrential rain. I have a Darche stretcher, bought to match the swag and don't think much of it to be honest - not as sturdy as perhaps the price would indicate it should be.

The master farter
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,264 Times in 6,427 Posts
    Mentioned
    460 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I have the Kings swags are they are shit. They cannot be pulled tight from end to end to stop sagging and therefor pooling when it rains. Lucky I dont use them often enough to warrant spending good coin on one. My old Darche swag I had was great. Survived many downpours with zero leakage.

Thanks
    Thanked 12,387 Times in 6,250 Posts
    Mentioned
    201 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mudski View Post
    I have the Kings swags are they are shit. They cannot be pulled tight from end to end to stop sagging and therefor pooling when it rains. Lucky I dont use them often enough to warrant spending good coin on one. My old Darche swag I had was great. Survived many downpours with zero leakage.
    As much as I hate to say it, my kings swag is great quality. If you use the ropes it pulls tight. Mines a couple of years old now though, don't know if they've changed since then.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanked 20,716 Times in 8,560 Posts
    Mentioned
    579 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Winnie View Post
    As much as I hate to say it, my kings swag is great quality. If you use the ropes it pulls tight. Mines a couple of years old now though, don't know if they've changed since then.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
    Yep same but I haven't had mine out in elements away from the awning.

Having saying that though when seasoning it three times with a drenching from the hose only minimal drops got in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanked 20,716 Times in 8,560 Posts
    Mentioned
    579 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mudski View Post
    I do have sagging in mine too mate.

The master farter
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,264 Times in 6,427 Posts
    Mentioned
    460 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AB View Post
    I do have sagging in mine too mate.

Yeah to over come this I use a second rope and attach it lower down on each end of the rod and peg it out in the middle. If ya get what I mean.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to mudski For This Useful Post:

AB (6th December 2017)

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast