User Tag List

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Thoughts on Darche swags

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    check out kulkyne campers big boy swag exactly the same $100 cheaper.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to batesy For This Useful Post:

Jimmyboyjr4 (9th September 2013)

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 9,963 Times in 7,394 Posts
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Best swag ever made, you'd be hard pressed to find a better, well made swag.
    Had mine over 20 yrs still looks brand new
    04 ST 3lt auto, not enough Mods to keep me happy, but getting there

5. The Following User Says Thank You to threedogs For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 6,868 Times in 3,667 Posts
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Gday mate, heres two other threads that may have some useful info and different brand swags...

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forum...he-canvas-swag.

http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forum...717-Which-Swag
    Hello from Under Down Under!

Patrol Freak
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,653 Times in 591 Posts
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Darche are a good brand and well made, as are quite a number of others. I doubt you would have any dramas with it. I might be getting off topic here, but swags are a compromise like everything else and you do get what you pay for, especially in terms of canvas weight and quality, and as mentioned somewhere above, different designs suit different climates. If you are in the cold then you want something that allows the condensation out. My first swag was a 16oz canvas job with two large flaps that clipped down, sort of like that Saul Swag of Cuppas. Bloody heavy though and I think the canvas came from old railway freight cars! Great in the cold though as it had the two layers of canvas.

If you are on the move all the time then swags come into their own. If you want to stay for a week, get a small lightweight tent. I spent a lot of years living out of swags, mostly in the tropics, and I ended up using both. A light weight single aluminium flexipole insect mesh tent that I could throw my swag into and just lie on top of on those hot humid nights. If it pissed rain, then throw the fly over the tent etc. etc.. It worked well for that situation and most of the blokes I was working with at the time all did similar things. (Some also used the light aluminium stretchers, but for me they creaked and made too much bloody noise every time you roll over. Arguably more comfortable though.)

The trick to doing that though was to go for a swag that would open right out so you could lie on the mattress without canvas on top of you if needed. No poles or frames or anything fancy. These types of swags (I have a Viking swag) can be configured several ways, and even work with poles if you like to keep the canvas up off you. Normally I just tie mine off the bull-bar or a tree etc. The Viking swag also has the sandfly mesh for those horrid nights near the mangrove swamps or the Starke River etc. but it cuts the breeze right out and makes for a very uncomfortable sleep.

Mattresses are another pain to get right. If only used occasionally, or when drunk, it really doesn't matter much, but if you are going to spend a lot of time in them, then even if mostly drunk, it pays to get it right, particularly if you are not as sprightly as you once were. For a long time I used a thermarest mattress beneath a standard 50mm foam mattress, which graduated to a 75mm foam mattress. This was ok, but I got sick of the bloody thermarest in the end, particularly having to deflate it when rolling up the swag every morning. My current luxury solution is a 50mm mattress with one of those bits of memory foam on top. Yes, it adds to the weight, but if the swag is just coming off the roof-rack and onto the ground, it is no big deal. The memory foam setup actually rolls up as tight as my previous setup with the thermarest, although I can see the day when I upgrade again to a 75mm with memory foam...

In the end, if it takes you more than about a minute to set up your swag for the night, because of the need for poles and frames and ropes and that sort of thing, then the argument swings to just using a tent. For me the swag comes into its own because it is so simple and some of these fancy ones might be in the tent category anyway. Each to his own though of course.
    Between Patrols ATM. Had a beaut GU with 6.5 Chev TD. Next is a GU ute with a 4.5 litre Cummins conversion and a camper on the back.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to FNQGU For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,210 Times in 1,286 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is what I bought. It's good value and worth considering.
    http://www.techniice.com/camping-gear/swags.html
    1999 GU 4500 dual fuel

Il dado è tratto

10. The Following User Says Thank You to NP99 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,525 Times in 887 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've never understood why you'd put a swag in a tent......why not just use a tent?

Tip tip tip......tap tap tap....

1997 GQ Patrol RX, TB42E. Mods: OME 2" lift, 33" BFG KM2'S, ARB winch bar & reconditioned X9 Superwinch, IPF 900 spotties HID conversion, ARB side steps and scrub bars, Kaymar rear step & spare wheel carrier & jerry holder, Rear 55W LED worklight, Safari Snorkel, 147L LRA tank, Extended diff breathers, dual batteries, GME UHF, Home built drawer and fridge slide, ARB 60L fridge.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Spent hours yesterday at the Penrith camping show just browsing, the Darche swag was easily the best quality swag I could see that day. Mattress isn't as thick as some of the other but the canvas is definitely thicker and feels to be more heavy duty. I got the Dusk to Dawn double for $429 with free postage so I was happy. I'll throw up some pics once it arrives.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,447 Times in 2,546 Posts
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by drewboyaus View Post
    i've never understood why you'd put a swag in a tent......why not just use a tent?

Tip tip tip......tap tap tap....
    most times my wife and i just sleep under the tarp but up in the high country hunting
    the swag goes in the tent on a strecher cuts down the chill factor and unexspected rain snow or frost
    on the simmo trip we,l most likely be under the tarp on the strechers and swags with mossy nets handy
    up of the ground so the wrigglers creepy crawlers go under neath
    will also have a tent in case the weather cuts up to bad

and the truth of the matter is
    its easy getting down but harder geting up these days

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Sir Roofy For This Useful Post:

Drewboyaus (10th September 2013)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,404 Times in 2,989 Posts
    Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by roofy View Post
    and the truth of the matter is
    its easy getting down but harder geting up these days
    and don't I know it LOL

Thanks
    Thanked 9,963 Times in 7,394 Posts
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    @ Drew as well as what Roofy said up in the tropics etc flies, mozzies etc attack at all hours so throwing
    the swag in side the Fly wire inner frame of a GEO tent would make sense
    04 ST 3lt auto, not enough Mods to keep me happy, but getting there

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast