Thread: Y61 coolant leak and Bell housing

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Y61 coolant leak and Bell housing

Hey Everyone! I just picked up my first Patrol. It is an 1998 Y61. It seems to be running great, I am leaking coolant from between the transmission and the engine. I am leaking enough coolant to have to top it off every few days with less than 250 km's. The coolant is coming out clean with no oil. Has anyone had the same issue?

I am assuming that it is a loose coolant line, but I am not finding it and I cannot trace the leak after a few hours because it stops and dries.

Thanks!
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    chadne have a look at the heater hoses tighten up and have a look at your motor oil if its milky on dip stick its a head gasket, hope this helps

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    G'day Chad,
    sorry to take so long to respond.
    First, go onto the intro. page and tell us a bit about yourself and wheels and at the same time, a few details in your personal profile section will let us know a bit more about you.
    Not much I can do for you with the leak I'm afraid.
    Had a Y61 for years without any coolant probs.. Reckon you've got no choice though but to find the leak. Start at the top where you can prove all is O.K. then work down front, sides and back with the motor running ( to maintain water pump pressure) and end up underneath with a good light looking up at everything. If you can already see coolant it should give you a pretty good starting point.
    Split hoses/tubes will be the hoped for answer because any other leak is probably from a gasket or worse.
    Good luck,
    Col