Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Fitting AVM HP manual Hubs GU IV

Thanks
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fitting AVM HP manual Hubs GU IV

I am seeking advice from members who have installed and used the AVM HP hubs.

I have a set of AVM HP Manual Hubs, to replace my Auto hubs on my GU IV, on order, should arrive early next week.

I have searched this site and the web to find details on fitting. The issues that have come up based on all the "guff" I found are these:

Some recommend using locktight on all the bolts, both base plate and top cover, others recommend against because the cover Torx bolts strip easily, yet others suggest using anti sieze spray.

Some suggest using sowing machine oil to lubricate prior to fitting, others suggest a smear of wheel bearing grease or "pack" and yet others suggest nothing at all.

Torque settings for both set of bolts (base plate and cover) are nowhere to be found.

Would appreciate comments from those with direct experience.

I have removed and reinstalled the Auto hubs in the past using a "smear" of wheel bearing grease, that was straight forward.
    Time Marches On .....and on ..... and on

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK, in the absence of any reply this is what I have done. Please let me know if I am a mechanical richard cranium

Removed the Auto hub easily by first locking the auto hub, then undoing the 6 X 8mm hex bolts that hold it in place, loctite had been used so a bar on the allen key to "crack" the loctite and all came off within a couple of minutes.

I put a "smear" of high temp grease (because that grease was handy) on the moving "cog" surfaces, the 6 X 8 mm hex blots that hold the base where all given a dose of blue loctite and fitted with as much effort as I could apply using a short bar (I'm old and weak so maybe around 50-60nm). The T15 torx bolts that hold the cover on where not loctited, but where tightened as tight as my little girlie arms could do using a screwdriver type tool with a T15 bit. Popped the hub cap back on and all was done.

Took me about 20 minutes in total. Hopefully they will work well and hold together better than the Autos.

If bits fall off or break I'll let you know.

Thanks
    Thanked 13,452 Times in 6,588 Posts
    Mentioned
    324 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Sorry Time, I saw your thread the other day and was on the phone and did not get back to you.

What you have done sounds fine mate.

Did they come with the required "Egg ring" spacers?
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MudRunnerTD View Post
    Did they come with the required "Egg ring" spacers?
    No Egg ring spacers , its was straight simple replacement bolt on for the GU IV auto hub . No circlips to worry about either. As mentioned above just bolt on the base using a new provided gasket, then screw on the top cover, also with gasket, and all seems good. Turns from 4x2 to 4x4 easily making the required clicky noises.

This is what I bought from evilbay

Thanks
    Thanked 13,452 Times in 6,588 Posts
    Mentioned
    324 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Yeah right! OK. i expected them to just be a copy of the Nissan Manual hubs but they are nothing like it! they are far closer in spec to a Manualised Auto Hub rather than the Nissan Manual Hub. Very similar concept to the OEM Auto Hub without the Auto function.

So the Circlip is retained on the inner groove of the stub axle? You probably did not touch it!

Will be very interested to hear some feed back when you have used them a few times TimE

Cheers MR
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah me too (for towing)
    ------------
    2008 GU 3.0 CRD Auto - Life's too short to eat bad food.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Apart from the alleged fragility of the Auto Hubs, the main reason for replacing them was there habit of disengaging in reverse, not good when trying to back out of muddy steep ruts, and their occasional failure to disengage when 2 WD was selected. Got sick of manually locking them in and having to stop and reverse to try and disengage them. Also, doing a bit of remote travel (Simpson for the 3rd time in June) I was starting to worry about the auto hubs lasting the use/abuse they get.

So, hopefully the AVMs will engage when I twist the knob and disengage when I twist it back, and last through the demands I place on them. For an all up cost of $262.50 I'm happy to give them a go.
    Last edited by TimE; 29th August 2013 at 06:34 PM. Reason: Typo

9. The Following User Says Thank You to TimE For This Useful Post:

MudRunnerTD (29th August 2013)

Thanks
    Thanked 12,386 Times in 6,250 Posts
    Mentioned
    201 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    You know what people talk crap about how the auto hubs are crap and what not but I had them and I loved them in my old car. That being said, I now have manual hubs and am more confident in them, but I never had a drama with my auto hubs, always behaved as they should.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    After having my navara I do prefer manual
    ------------
    2008 GU 3.0 CRD Auto - Life's too short to eat bad food.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    An update on the AVM HP hubs, they have been given a good work out and performed well, no issues. Good to know that when reversing out of a boggy rut the front wheels remained engaged and when I unlocked them they were unlocked!. I'm happy so far.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast