Banned
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,546 Times in 1,116 Posts
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Stampy View Post

And here you can see it compared to the genuine. Note; my genuine hook is no longer looped around and has streched out after ONE... yes ONE "light" recovery, i am lucky the snatch did not slip off during otherwise the damage might be more than just a bent recovery point. I would not trust these in any recovery situation after seeing this.

Did you purchase the vehicle new?

If not, how do you know that the hook has been used only once for a "light" recovery?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Yendor View Post
    Did you purchase the vehicle new?

If not, how do you know that the hook has been used only once for a "light" recovery?
    I bought it from by brother, with 19000 Highway kms on it, never seen a speck of dirt in its life

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Kurt

The problem with buying a hook from Nissan is you are buying it from a salesman who may not know anything about recovering a vehicle in a dangerous situation. If you you are just towing along a dirt road or on the tar it would be fine. We as four wheel drivers put our cars in some situations where recovering the vehicles puts enormous strain on the equipment.

No matter what your club says and I am wondering which member you are getting you advice from, you should always use a aftermarket rated recovery point. Not a tow point. You should only be taking your advice off a properly trained and accredited, driver trainer. It is your life on the line if you get it wrong and you may also cause serious damage to your car.

As for the issue of a rated shackel being a another piece in the recovery system is not a problem as any strap or winch will let go prior to any rated shackel giving way. Also a bow shackel gives a better surface area for a strap to sit into than your hooks. The bow shackel is nice and broad allowing the full face of the strap to pull on whilst a hook only pulls on a portion of the strap face reducing its effectivness.

Regards John
    2011 ST Patrol, ARB bull bar with Tigerz11 winch and IPF spotlights. Snorkel, UHF Radio. ARB air compressor and a front locker. Dual battery, Diff Breathers and 2" OME lift and 16" Black Dynamic Steel rims with muddies

5. The Following User Says Thank You to flemj For This Useful Post:

threedogs (23rd November 2013)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Im with everyone that says scrap the poor excuse of a recovery point that comes factory and get an aftermarket unit. Ive also seen them straighten as a result I was up for a new gu barn door for my mates gu (damn those snatch straps make a nice dint) again this was only a light recovery. Im just thankful that noone was hurt. Just like towballs, poor recovery points can and will kill!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to sickshorty For This Useful Post:

threedogs (23rd November 2013)

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789