Thread: tap tap tap what the hell is that

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

tap tap tap what the hell is that

Ok so when driving along all I could hear was a tapping sound , something like a wire hitting metal.
    I had just installed a dual battery system, so is one of the wires hitting the body? Big no after many cable ties and cursing. Ok is it the suspension squeaking? jack up car clean and spray with silicone ,No not that either . OK is it the vinyl behind seat flimsy as it is , at this point I should explain I have a 2012 ute dx leaf sprung. After 3 months of tap tap tap and one lobotomy, I do most of my driving on dirt so I hate rattles the problem is solved. Turns out to be the air vents at back of seats they have little rubber flaps 4 of them and when you drive along flap flap flap .The faster you go the louder they get which is why I thought it was a wire or something . I took them out and put foam between the flaps and the external grate problem solved.........
    Just wondering if this fix will affect the cabs ability to stop dust entering, are they just pressure vents.
    Ps when I took out the vents I checked inside and there were about 6 small stones in there and some dust , the car has only done 16,000 km the bloody sill would be full after 300,000 .
    So if you hear a tap flap tap this could be the culprit . Yours truly Anal Retentive
    2012 gu6 dx canopy factory snorkel and bull bar new bfg all terrain, bellow style air bags, uhf, centre console, tinted windows, projecta 150 amp dual battery set up ipf super rally spotties, nitro oil shocks

2. The Following User Says Thank You to alfonso For This Useful Post:

Col.T (27th August 2013)

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    G'day Alfie,
    Interesting. I've never found a diagram of the air inlet piping on either of the models I've had.
    Always thought that having the outside air inlet open and the fan running when on dusty roads SHOULD keep the cab pressurised and so keep dust out. Only question was always, where's the outside air coming from and is it loaded with crap. From what you're saying, with dust and pebbles right up in the system, what I thought may well be wrong.
    Don't believe the vent flaps you're describing are on the wagon. Can't picture what they're for either. Surely they can't prevent outside air entering as that would defeat having the air inlet and fan. Maybe they work in reverse and allow excess air pressure to vent from the cab. If that's the case the way they hinge should give the clue. Bit surprised though that you've got dirt right back there.
    Wish life wasn't stuffed full of mysteries though.
    Let us know if you work the system out please.
    Luck,
    Col.
    p.s. hope the retension problem works out, to coin a phrase.

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hey col the flaps go out so they are for pressure release . the problem Is that the flaps are too light and when air circulates around the cab they open and close letting dust and stones into the inside of the sill . Maybe there are a lot of people out there with annoying rattles and this is their problem.
    2012 gu6 dx canopy factory snorkel and bull bar new bfg all terrain, bellow style air bags, uhf, centre console, tinted windows, projecta 150 amp dual battery set up ipf super rally spotties, nitro oil shocks

Hardcore
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why dont you ask Mr Nissan if they are a warranty.
    claim to him/her it's driving you nuts.
    shouldn't have to put up with that.
    just cleaned these out on inlaws truck, full of wasp nests. ouch!!
    one way to stop em flapping about
    IF IT'S NOT A NISSAN.
    THEN IT'S A COMPROMISE

Thanks
    Thanked 7,424 Times in 3,003 Posts
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey Alf, nip down here to Vic & check out my car will ya. I need your anal retentive detective skills. I have one similar noise to what you describe & have tried everthing to stop it.....unsuccessfully. It's not the vent, it's forward & left of the pasenger seat but I'm stuffed if I can find the cause. Several times I've been excited thinking I had it sorted, but no.

Cuppa

2006 4.2TDi ex-Telstra Remote area Camper. 425w roof mounted solar, 360Ah Aux batts, BCDC1240, Onboard hot & cold pressurised & filtered water, (25 litre hot water calorifier), ARB fridge, ARB freezer, Built in kitchen, heaps of easy access storage, 240v, 3” Genie exhaust + dynotune, 2” lift, 3900kg GVM upgrade, second glovebox, ROH Blaktrak steel wheels, Bridgestone D697's (now Toyo RT's), Redarc gauges/pillarpod, Hema HX-1, Icom 450 CB, dual rear view cameras, Onboard 30amp Victron mains charger, second glovebox, dual seat conversion, TPMS, Boss PX7 onboard air with 9 litre tank, 350w inverter, Steel bullbar, Harrop Eaton diff lock (front), Warn winch, Snorkel, Dual spares , 160 litre water tank, 180 litre fuel in two tanks (approx 1200km range) 2010 Tvan Tanami. (incl another 70 litre water tank) with matching wheels/tyres (& 3rd spare)
    A Nomadic Life (Blog)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuppa View Post
    Hey Alf, nip down here to Vic & check out my car will ya. I need your anal retentive detective skills. I have one similar noise to what you describe & have tried everthing to stop it.....unsuccessfully. It's not the vent, it's forward & left of the pasenger seat but I'm stuffed if I can find the cause. Several times I've been excited thinking I had it sorted, but no.

Cuppa
    Hey Cuppa, its not that boy scout you ran over the other week and is stuck up under the guard and he is tapping for you to get him out....!!??
    Just about to jump into my next Patrol. A 2001 GU II TB45E .

WARNING!: Do not ever use a towball as a recovery point. They are not rated and can become a deadly projectile during a recovery if they snap off, and they have done so with tragic results in the past.

Thanks
    Thanked 7,424 Times in 3,003 Posts
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rkinsey View Post
    Hey Cuppa, its not that boy scout you ran over the other week and is stuck up under the guard and he is tapping for you to get him out....!!??
    Nah, I kicked him out, bloody hitch hikers! Has been going on for longer than that.

2006 4.2TDi ex-Telstra Remote area Camper. 425w roof mounted solar, 360Ah Aux batts, BCDC1240, Onboard hot & cold pressurised & filtered water, (25 litre hot water calorifier), ARB fridge, ARB freezer, Built in kitchen, heaps of easy access storage, 240v, 3” Genie exhaust + dynotune, 2” lift, 3900kg GVM upgrade, second glovebox, ROH Blaktrak steel wheels, Bridgestone D697's (now Toyo RT's), Redarc gauges/pillarpod, Hema HX-1, Icom 450 CB, dual rear view cameras, Onboard 30amp Victron mains charger, second glovebox, dual seat conversion, TPMS, Boss PX7 onboard air with 9 litre tank, 350w inverter, Steel bullbar, Harrop Eaton diff lock (front), Warn winch, Snorkel, Dual spares , 160 litre water tank, 180 litre fuel in two tanks (approx 1200km range) 2010 Tvan Tanami. (incl another 70 litre water tank) with matching wheels/tyres (& 3rd spare)
    A Nomadic Life (Blog)

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hey cuppa maybe its the stones in the sill that I was saying I found when I took the vents out rattling on the metal id go park on a hill bounce the car a couple of times and take the vent out . I found a driver bit for a drill and vice grips worked best on the top screw . Also keep the vent out and go for a drive you never know I dismissed this as the issue at my peril until I got fair dinkum as the void inside the framework is quite large the sound is amplified And can shift making you think it is somewhere else . Alf

Thanks
    Thanked 9,963 Times in 7,394 Posts
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    @ Cuppa start a thread buddy we'll nut it out for you. lol
    04 ST 3lt auto, not enough Mods to keep me happy, but getting there

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    we all hate the dreaded rattle hey threedogs

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast