OUR VIDEOS GALLERY MEMBER SPONSORSHIP VENDOR SPONSORSHIP

User Tag List

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Steering wheel wobble woes - Help needed please!!

Thanks
    Thanked 9,963 Times in 7,394 Posts
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Not many shops cater towards balancing 4x4 tyres, Get that done at a 4x4 shop.
    If you you have heaps of weights on one side the guy doesn't know his job.
    He can de mount the tyre and turn it 180 on the rim then he may find that it balances better.
    4x4 tyres should only be fitted by 4x4 shops IMO
    04 ST 3lt auto, not enough Mods to keep me happy, but getting there

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 7,424 Times in 3,003 Posts
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for reporting back.

2006 4.2TDi ex-Telstra Remote area Camper. 425w roof mounted solar, 360Ah Aux batts, BCDC1240, Onboard hot & cold pressurised & filtered water, (25 litre hot water calorifier), ARB fridge, ARB freezer, Built in kitchen, heaps of easy access storage, 240v, 3” Genie exhaust + dynotune, 2” lift, 3900kg GVM upgrade, second glovebox, ROH Blaktrak steel wheels, Bridgestone D697's (now Toyo RT's), Redarc gauges/pillarpod, Hema HX-1, Icom 450 CB, dual rear view cameras, Onboard 30amp Victron mains charger, second glovebox, dual seat conversion, TPMS, Boss PX7 onboard air with 9 litre tank, 350w inverter, Steel bullbar, Harrop Eaton diff lock (front), Warn winch, Snorkel, Dual spares , 160 litre water tank, 180 litre fuel in two tanks (approx 1200km range) 2010 Tvan Tanami. (incl another 70 litre water tank) with matching wheels/tyres (& 3rd spare)
    A Nomadic Life (Blog)

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i had similar problems before- at around 90 to 100, the car wobble.... i thought this was a 'patrol thing'. since after 3 different re-balance, the wobble were still present. but when i changed tire last time, the shop to balance the new tires with a 'finger' mounting on the balance machine. the car drive like a totally different car....no more wobble. i was told that most tire shop have only balance the tire using the center hold of the wheel. but in fact the center may not be 100% center. so you need to use a finger ( cannot remember the real name) to mountain the tire on the balance machine. this is especially important for large 4wd tire. since each finger cost about $500. so most shop do not have this device. next time, ask the shop to show you this device first before doing balancing

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Trol3.0 For This Useful Post:

NP99 (6th October 2013)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,210 Times in 1,286 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Trol3.0 View Post
    i had similar problems before- at around 90 to 100, the car wobble.... i thought this was a 'patrol thing'. since after 3 different re-balance, the wobble were still present. but when i changed tire last time, the shop to balance the new tires with a 'finger' mounting on the balance machine. the car drive like a totally different car....no more wobble. i was told that most tire shop have only balance the tire using the center hold of the wheel. but in fact the center may not be 100% center. so you need to use a finger ( cannot remember the real name) to mountain the tire on the balance machine. this is especially important for large 4wd tire. since each finger cost about $500. so most shop do not have this device. next time, ask the shop to show you this device first before doing balancing
    Which shop fixed your problem?
    1999 GU 4500 dual fuel

Il dado è tratto

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    the one in Bexley in Sydney south.

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

this is what is called: balance center adapter

http://www.rema-tiptop.com/portal/Wh...,71,116336.rtt
    for large 4wd tyres, you will need a canctering adapter to do the job.....simple solution

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have had the same wobble problem and have not had the wagon long, was getting worried, but now have some good tips to try, cheers all.
    '04 GU TD42Ti ST, standard but with helpful advice here, will mod for off road touring.

The master farter
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,319 Times in 6,443 Posts
    Mentioned
    462 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Mines been doing it for ages. I thought it was the wheel bearings not tight enough as I changed them wheni fitted the locker and it was bad. I tightened up the bearings more as they were a bit lose after they wore in and it went away. Now its back and the bearing adjustment is still perfect. I wad told I need to remove the shims on the top and bottom bearings on the swivel hub but im not sure if this will create other issues with those bearings being tighter. So I have left it for now.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,665 Times in 3,125 Posts
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mudski View Post
    Mines been doing it for ages. I thought it was the wheel bearings not tight enough as I changed them wheni fitted the locker and it was bad. I tightened up the bearings more as they were a bit lose after they wore in and it went away. Now its back and the bearing adjustment is still perfect. I wad told I need to remove the shims on the top and bottom bearings on the swivel hub but im not sure if this will create other issues with those bearings being tighter. So I have left it for now.
    Want a quick fix, remove the shims.
    Wanna do it properly, replace the bearings..
    Cheers
    Kallen Westbrook

The master farter
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,319 Times in 6,443 Posts
    Mentioned
    462 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Westy's Accessories View Post
    Want a quick fix, remove the shims.
    Wanna do it properly, replace the bearings..
    Bearings were replaced when I did the wheel bearings. I re raced the whole front end when I fitted the locker.
    Maybe I should remove the shims as the bearings are new?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast