Thread: Rattle from behind the sunroof

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Rattle from behind the sunroof

my GU Y61 with a sunroof has a nasty rattle, not from the sun roof but just behind it. Any suggestions to fix this ??

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I also have the same problem in my 2000 patrol wagon is it worse when it is open...

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    G'day Vman
    can't help as I've never had one of those thingies on either of my trolls.
    According to the diagram the motor etc. are at the front of the unit and about all that's at the back is a drain tube.
    Assume you've tapped/slapped/belted the area where the noise comes from with the roof both open and closed. No noise generated? I'd be trying to get that rattle noise by hand if posible so you've got a starting point to work from.
    The roof is operating perfectly? Nothing behind the roof such as cabin light fitting that may be cactus?
    Looks like removing the roof liner is a bit of a bummer. Let's hope someone can come up with an answer.
    Luck
    Col

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Col.T For This Useful Post:

Vmax (23rd August 2013)

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nope, just the same.
    Quote Originally Posted by rodneyb81 View Post
    I also have the same problem in my 2000 patrol wagon is it worse when it is open...

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Col. the noise is just the same open or closed, checked other problem areas like you said, nothing there either, just dread taking the roof lining off but looks like the only option. shall keep you posted. cheers
    Quote Originally Posted by Col.T View Post
    G'day Vman
    can't help as I've never had one of those thingies on either of my trolls.
    According to the diagram the motor etc. are at the front of the unit and about all that's at the back is a drain tube.
    Assume you've tapped/slapped/belted the area where the noise comes from with the roof both open and closed. No noise generated? I'd be trying to get that rattle noise by hand if posible so you've got a starting point to work from.
    The roof is operating perfectly? Nothing behind the roof such as cabin light fitting that may be cactus? Absolutely, everything is original and i dread taking the roof liner off, hoping to get a short cut, w ill let you know once i sort it out though. the noise is the same with the roof open or closed, and its to big a noise to be a loose light or anything like that. cheers
    Looks like removing the roof liner is a bit of a bummer. Let's hope someone can come up with an answer.
    Luck
    Col

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    G,day, I have factory sunroof which tilts n slides back electrically. Was getn stiff n tight to open. Cleaned out few leaves n twigs, blew around internal spaces with compresser.
    Bought Nulon Ezi-glide clear silicon spray in a can and sprayed the hell outa all slides,guides,linkages,chain,motor,rubbers.
    Works quiet, easy, like new now!

$12.95 can

Daz

Thanks
    Thanked 1,037 Times in 846 Posts
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can't remember what year yours is Vmax, but there was a batch around 2003, which didn't have enough sikaflex bonding between the roof ribs and the outer skin, which in turn caused a rather sharp rattling noise.

The fix was pulling down the roof lining and adding sikaflex ....

Mine had that exact problem.

Mic
    GU PATROL 2011 Ti, with goodies...

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How bad was the job of removing the headlining ?

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Happygtu are you referring to the tracks that the internal panel sits in that's where it sounds like mine is come from if you hold the roof it makes it a bit better

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey lads had the same problem. Every bump I hit the roof would rattle and this slowly developed into a squeeky sound. I had some time over the weekend so decided to do something about it. 4 hours later is was fixed.....

It was a nightmare job but the noise was enough to make it worthwhile. I may have attacked it the wrong way but did it like this..

The noise was coming from where the sunroof rests when it is open. I took off the very rear roof lining having had to remove partially the rear side panels. This allowed me to pull down the middle section lining to have a look what the problem may have been. I found there are two screws that go into plugs either side of the runner at the rear of the sunroof.... one of the plugs and screws had slipped out and was the cause of the issue. I wish I had taken some photos to show here what I mean but it is quite easy to see... if I can anyone can... So just removed the screw, set plug back into the socket and tightened screw again... gave it a good pull down to see if it would hold and it did... This was the easy part.........

Then the fun of trying to get the roof rear roof lining back on began...

I must say I didnt think it through too well at the beginning and just proceeded to refit the the side interior panels. Put the handles and everything else I had removed to pull it all apart thinking I would be able to just slide the lining in place... couldnt do it. The lining will not flex enough to allow you to get both sides in . So had to remove everything I had put back on and start again. With both interior panels partially removed again (the rear seat belt will hold them from falling off altogether) I started putting the roof lining into place first... nightmare... eventually you can manage to get the lining in but mucking around with it, tucking it in gradually by digging your fingers deep into the recess it belongs. Got one in place, got a cricket bat from the kit to hold it in place the while I fitted back the side panel for that side (I did drivers side first). Then statrted on other side having learnt a bit from the first one. evntually got it all back together and no rattle at all. One thing I nearly forgot was to put the very rear light back into place before securing the lining... that would have P%$#@$#ed me off If I had forgotton that.
    2007 TI Patrol

13. The Following User Says Thank You to lagoonboy For This Useful Post:

Vmax (25th November 2013)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast