OUR VIDEOS GALLERY MEMBER SPONSORSHIP VENDOR SPONSORSHIP

User Tag List

View Poll Results: Would you like to see accecptable recovery epuipment mandated?

Voters
42. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes let's get it happening

27 64.29%
  • No I think self regulation is fine

15 35.71%
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Let's Get Smart

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Let's Get Smart

Comments & Recommendations :

It is also clear from the evidence before me that both Mr Radford and Mr Williams were not aware of the dangers of attaching snatch straps to tow balls when completing recovery operations.

Having considered all the material before me I recommend that the motoring public, particularly those using 4WD vehicles be made aware and reminded of the dangers of using snatch straps in recovery operations. It is important to correctly attach (following the manufacturers recommendations) the recovery strap to a motor vehicle. A standard tow ball or vehicle tie-down point is not designed for this purpose and may result in the strap or a vehicle component detaching from a motor vehicle and striking and seriously injuring or killing a person. Only attach the strap to a vehicle recovery point or device that is suitably rated for use with the strap.

My Thought s on all this and the ongoing debates on our forum about recovery point, gear, and methods are this:

Although this is still open to some interpretation, and debate about what is safe, we need a great forum like this and unite clubs and forums on what is the consensus of WHAT IS SAFE AND WHAT IS NOT! Take away the emotion, the personal opion, the cost, and come up with something that we as a community can agree on, and maybe even get the final decision mandated by our law makers.

Then that will put an end to fitting of illegal devices on 4WD from accessories outlets. And maybe then we can get it taken further and have pressure put on Vehicle Manufactuers to cease suppling unacceptable devices on new 4WDs.

It is about time we used forums like this to take steps to really save lives. I for one believe in people power. How many of you are sick of sending more tragic reminders of how not to recover your mate?

I am not sure how to start a petiton, but I know how to sign one electronically. A petiton must have a genuine cause that offers a change that is of benefit to a large majority. It is offered to local Government for discussion and if passed is on to state government. If it gets passed there it goes to Federal Government where it open for discussion. Unless you can short cut and speak to a Federal Government Member who is not already against recreational vehicles.

I believe we must come a decision NOW, and then ask for input from desirable clubs and forums, no matter what make of 4WD they represent. Advise them of our plan, ask them if they would be interested in passing around our petition.

Obviously 4WD magazines and shows would not help with this as it would be detrimental to their sponsors.
    Getting Older Is Unavoidable, Growing Up Is Optional!

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Finly Owner For This Useful Post:

DX grunt (19th January 2012), fixer982 (3rd August 2011), NissanGQ4.2 (7th January 2011), rusty_nail (20th January 2012)

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry, I've edited my post as when I reread it, it was more of a rant than being constructive.

I agree there needs to be a minimum set of standards for any product labelled for use in vehicle recovery.

I firmly believe there needs to be better education in the safe and proper use of recovery equipment.

Perhaps all of these 4WD shows could have safety segments on correct use of recovery gear and also show the consequences of inccorect use.
    Last edited by XLR8; 8th January 2011 at 08:24 PM.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to XLR8 For This Useful Post:

DX grunt (19th January 2012)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,835 Times in 2,012 Posts
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would also like to see the sales people, at point of sales, have a good, thorough knowledge of the product they sell.

There are many sales people who do a fantastic job, and others who don't.

Let's face it, there are a lot of consumers out there (including me initially) who took advice that wasn't totally correct,
    and trusted the advice, or found a loansome product on the shelf and 'grabbed it', thinking it was the correct 'everything',
    or 'that'll do', not knowing whether it will do the job safely or not.

Then there's the other 4wd'ers that don't take any recovery gear out with them and expect everybody else to use theirs,
    and spend hours cleaning it after it was used. What do you do with these people? I wouldn't leave them stranded, but
    I'd be pretty peeved off, expecting at least a 'thank you', or at least a donation to cover the cleaning costs.

It's a very tough subject. I tend to agree with both of the comments before mine.

Let's start with training and education of sales staff and consumers.

Take extra care out there and don't compromise safety.
    Winner of 'Best 4 x 4 ' at the 2017 Albany Agricultural Society Inc - Town n Country Ute Muster.

Ex Telstra - 2005, 4.2 TDi ute -with pod and more fruit than a grocery shop.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DX grunt For This Useful Post:

fixer982 (3rd August 2011), Sir Roofy (10th January 2011)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ok, i am all for mandating safety equipment for 4wd's, but how do we do it? there isnt a car manufacturer that will specifically manufacture and include recovery gear for their vehicles.
    lets not forget that many of the incidents where injuries occur arent when recovering other 4wd's its from recovering 2wd vehicles that were pushed beyond their capabilities.

mandating involves costs, those costs would have to be paid by us 4wders. who here would be willing to pay for a mandatory 4wd course for the entire family each year (standard refresher course) who here would be willing to pay for your recovery gear to be tested and tagged every 3 months, who here would be willing to buy new recovery gear as stipulated by a law. and finally who here would be wlling to pay for this to be policed?

i know i wouldnt, but i do believe that we should all stick together as a community and support and train and assist by spreading the word and taking fellow young 4wders under our wings and showing them the right way to do things.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to stets For This Useful Post:

fixer982 (3rd August 2011)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,447 Times in 2,546 Posts
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Totaly agree with you ROSS that point of sale staff should understand there product and advise ,and toSTETS good point in your last colem yes we could assit by spreading the word

cheers roofy

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Safety should always come first when doing any recoveries or just being a bystander and watching but it's never the case to come to mind first as everyone wants a great position to film or to watch the action.
    Everything is a risk out in the real world and we can't really stop accidents but we all can minimise the risk and take our time to assess the situation and to take every precaution that we can so that no one has to witness a tragedy....

Thanks
    Thanked 3,835 Times in 2,012 Posts
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Let's face facts. There is no such thing as common sense. People either know something or they don't. Now'days there is no 'in- between.'

Common sense is a skill learnt by ones self experiences and that of learning from that of others - good or otherwise.

I never take things for granted. For the silly question I ask, might be the question the multitude didn't, and want to know the answer.

I'm not for one minute suggesting the young'ns don't know anything. I'm sure they can teach me a thing or two.

I've got 4 boys and I'm learning all the time.

Enough said.

Take care out there.

Ross
    DX grunt
    Winner of 'Best 4 x 4 ' at the 2017 Albany Agricultural Society Inc - Town n Country Ute Muster.

Ex Telstra - 2005, 4.2 TDi ute -with pod and more fruit than a grocery shop.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to DX grunt For This Useful Post:

fixer982 (3rd August 2011)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Couldn't agree more Ross.

My Dad told me:
    "You are never too old to learn, and, never too young to teach"

Tim
    Getting Older Is Unavoidable, Growing Up Is Optional!

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i think it is encumbent upon the user(s) to know what they are doing, and if they don't, to educate themselves.

we spend a lot of time studying the physics of the shyte, swapping warries, reading, learning, practising... top all that off with the good money that goes into this gear - all this to ensure we get out into the scrub with the right stuff, and not wear a tow-ball in the face.

people who do the right thing will always be around, and there is no shortage of information on the net, in magazines and in the community on all of this - but alas, those who are stupid & lazy will are also around and not going anywhere - so mandate again and once more it will be those doing the righty that will bear the cost of enforcement for those that don't deserve it.

i also add that if someone chooses to recover someone else they should take 5 minutes to explain what's going on if the other person has no idea (evident by the fact that you are using your gear instead of theirs)

r's brynk

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to brynk For This Useful Post:

Finly Owner (18th March 2011), fixer982 (3rd August 2011), yort (3rd August 2011)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,206 Times in 1,474 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by brynk View Post
    i think it is encumbent upon the user(s) to know what they are doing, and if they don't, to educate themselves.

we spend a lot of time studying the physics of the shyte, swapping warries, reading, learning, practising... top all that off with the good money that goes into this gear - all this to ensure we get out into the scrub with the right stuff, and not wear a tow-ball in the face.

people who do the right thing will always be around, and there is no shortage of information on the net, in magazines and in the community on all of this - but alas, those who are stupid & lazy will are also around and not going anywhere - so mandate again and once more it will be those doing the righty that will bear the cost of enforcement for those that don't deserve it.

i also add that if someone chooses to recover someone else they should take 5 minutes to explain what's going on if the other person has no idea (evident by the fact that you are using your gear instead of theirs)

r's brynk
    Good call and well said mate!

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast