User Tag List

Thread: What else should I do??

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What else should I do??

So I've ripped up the drivers side carpet to give it a look and it's just full of wet shitty mud and a hole in the floor, tiny 50c piece size from what I've seen so far, so I'll be ripping the whole lot out and laying another one down and welding up the hole and a possible crack in the floor I think, what else can I do while I have all the carpet out?
    I'll probably spray anti-rust on the floor aswell

Sent from my iPhone using Motorculture mobile app
    Don't take life too seriously. No one gets out alive.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 4,882 Times in 3,232 Posts
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    a lick of Sound Deadening paint
    Time is never wasted when your wasted all the time

WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I gave my floor a heavy coating in penetrol. Doesn't stink, soaks well into the metal and even better into rust to freeze it so to speak and can be painted over as well. There are several entry points for water to creep into the cabin floor section. The trim panel securing fasteners in the floor let water in, where the floor meets the firewall, especially at the transmission tunnel area, I found from factory that the sealing job here was poor as there was big gaps in both sides of the tunnel to let large masses of water in. Keeping the water out in the first place is number one priority in my opinion.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    G'day Benny,
    reckon Parksy's right.
    Keep the bloody wet stuff out. Probably a dumb suggestion but may be worth, now you've got all the carpet out, putting a really bright light under the floor at night and looking for the holes.
    Don't like silicone sealer much, it's just a cheap, quick buck immitation of a quality job but some of the upper end ones are pretty reliable. Cost though.
    Long term rust prevention though is a bit harder, particularly with thin crappily treated metal. My first troll was treated at new and lasted without a trace of rust for over 20 years. Trouble is I never could find out what was used. Bummer!
    There are a few threads on the subject though. Search under RUST PREVENTION and maybe anything else you can think relevant.\
    Good luck
    Col

Thanks
    Thanked 1,037 Times in 846 Posts
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ben,

Make sure that at the least, you weld up the crack and fill the hole.

I don't like the idea of welding a plate over the area, as this introduces a spot for moisture to sit between the edges of the two surfaces, which then accelerates the rust process all over again, unless it is all treated properly from the beginning and all sealed up.

The better, and more long term idea, is to cut out the section, and weld-in a whole new section, treat it all, seal it up, and paint ( Utilizing some of the ideas already suggested )

Mic
    GU PATROL 2011 Ti, with goodies...

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the info guys! Appreciate it. I have my old gq sitting in the yard, so I'll see what I'll need to cut and chop it out of the old one if that's in good nick and weld it up, I plan on painting/spraying the floor with something, don't care if its a couple of $100 if it will do that job right, this new gq is a keeper

Sent from my iPhone using Motorculture mobile app
    Don't take life too seriously. No one gets out alive.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Ben89 For This Useful Post:

BigRAWesty (21st August 2013)